Halloween Candy

Options
Alongside my weight loss adventure, I’ve been trying to make our family healthier too. It’s been a struggle, but we’re certainly trying! We’ve been trying to ‘eat clean’ for over a year now. We’ve noticed a major difference and we’re loving the results. My husband and I don’t want to deprive our kids of Halloween and all the candy, but we certainly don’t want all that sugar around! One thought is: after trick-or-treating, we give our boys the option to exchange their candy for a trip to the toy store. We’re on a tight budget though. Any other thoughts out there? Thanks!

Replies

• Annie5859
    Annie5859 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Could you allow them to keep a few and donate the rest? We have donation spots for Halloween candy in our city. I've never done it before, but I know of others who have.
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Maybe just take them to a few houses so they can have a little treat, but fill the evening with other events, maybe carving pumpkins (if you already haven't), or start a tradition of sorts? Maybe play games or do a craft? That way they get their treats but don't go overboard, but they will still have fun! :)
  • prettytothinkso
    Options
    What we do is we have the kids choose about 25% of the candy they REALLY want and my husband takes the rest to work with him and it just goes super quick. Maybe you can say how the people who you're giving the candy to didn't get much candy when they went Trick or Treating and they're making them sooo happy by donating their candy.

In past years I would have taken lots of their chocolate candy...... but not this year!
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    At my work we have long been the victims of the extra Halloween candy of coworkers' children!
  • DarleneT22
    DarleneT22 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've heard of a lot of dentist giving kids money in exchange for candy. Like maybe $1 a lb or something. Always worth a call to find out if they do that. :)

We just put our in the cabinet and the kids get a couple small pieces a day for dessert until it's gone. It lasts a really long time. I usually end up throwing it away.
  • HeartandHaven
    HeartandHaven Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What we do is we have the kids choose about 25% of the candy they REALLY want and my husband takes the rest to work with him and it just goes super quick. Maybe you can say how the people who you're giving the candy to didn't get much candy when they went Trick or Treating and they're making them sooo happy by donating their candy.

In past years I would have taken lots of their chocolate candy...... but not this year!

My hubby just gave the same advice. :)
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    My mom never gave us free-reign of our Halloween candy. We got one night (Halloween) where we could pick 10 pieces to eat or keep in our rooms. Every week she let us pick another 2 pieces on Saturday til it was gone. She stole all the tootsie rolls so it whittled down by about halfway through the following year. lol
  • LoveMyArmyMedic
    LoveMyArmyMedic Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of you responses! I appreciate all your help. :)
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Keep it and give it out to trick-or-treaters next year! Hahahaha... Go green. Recycle.
  • LoveMyArmyMedic
    LoveMyArmyMedic Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Keep it and give it out to trick-or-treaters next year! Hahahaha... Go green. Recycle.

;)