Elliptical or ...something else

Options
Ive noticed that i get a fairly decent work out from using the elliptical machine, however i am just curious what other people are using / doing in hopes of fat burning...

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

• Deckershann
    Deckershann Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Elliptical is my favorite machine ever. I hate running. All I do when I workout is the elliptical, sit ups holding a weight, and walking to and from school. It's working for me so far...
  • bariachic
    bariachic Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Ellipticals are AWESOME, but swimming is my preferred exercise method. A good walk is good too, but is slow to burn calories.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    swimming dancing, running, hot yoga and biking are all great burns.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Full length aerobics videos on youtube :-D
  • sarscott
    sarscott Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    My recent focus is learning to run, so lately I just focus on the treadmill and increasing my indurance for running. I'm sure I need to be doing more/different things, but even going to the gym intimidates me.
  • impudentputz
    impudentputz Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    swimming dancing, running, and biking are all great burns.

I wish my gym had a pool! And ive never been much of a dancer... no coordination+ lack of balance = crumby dancer
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i also love them(and have one :) ) they give a great burn i also have a exersice bike,the wii + a million fitness games(best being ea active sports),dvd's galore best being p90x and the shred.
    i also go walking and am currently doing c25k!

but i would swap around the exersice a bit every 4/6 weeks tho or your body gets used to it! :flowerforyou:
  • SLambertAlaska
    SLambertAlaska Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    swimming dancing, running, and biking are all great burns.

I wish my gym had a pool! And ive never been much of a dancer... no coordination+ lack of balance = crumby dancer

But you will become more coordinated as you dance more, and dancing is a great way to engage your core.

My advice: mix it up. After you do one exercise for a long time your body adjusts to it and you don't burn as many calories doing it. So whatever you choose, when it starts to get easy, switch to something else, or add in something else some days.
  • impudentputz
    impudentputz Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    well thank you very much everyone, got a few ideas of things i could do and i found out that if i do one thing for too long it will stop working... good info right there!
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical! My ex's mom got one when she was trying to lose weight and I used it every day until she moved it into her bedroom, then eventually she gave it away and I was sad. :(

I like playing active games like Dance Dance Revolution and Wii Sports too, but now I mostly just bike because I don't have a tv.
  • HawaiianTx
    HawaiianTx Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have a bad knee, so the elliptical has been a god send for me. The treadmill works if all the ellipticals are in use, but I LOVE ellipticals :)
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    i absolutely HATE the elliptical. i am not sure why i hate it so much, i just do.

i love the STAIRMASTER! I know it sounds crazy, but that is what i do. The BURN is AMAZING! i sometimes mix it with the treadmill, it depends how long i can go on the stairmaster. i usually put it on the FAT BURNER setting (various speed intervals) for about 40mins..it's about 75 flights of stairs and then i get on the treadmill for about 30mins.
  • jussy83
    jussy83 Posts: 26
    Options
    i love the elliptical machine, i think it's a great workout!!
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I don't seem to have the coordination to enjoy the elliptical. I walk some days and jog some days on a treadmill now that the weather is turning. On the days I walk I set a fairly fast pace and raise the incline for a bit of an extra burn.
  • zevonfangrrrl
    Options
    Is an elliptical like a cross trainer? I really like the cross trainer and the treadmill...trying to build up the motivation to try the rowing machines but I don't like the idea of me sitting on those tiny seats lol.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    My trainer set me up with a few cardio workouts for the gym.

15 minutes on the tread mill. start slow to warm up 5 minutes, work your way up to whatever your higher end is

15 minutes on the elliptical, keep your HR up from the tready

15 min on the stairs (bwahahahaha this did NOT happen!!) I lasted 2 minutes and moved to

15 min on the rumbent or reg bike

then back to the tready for a cool down.

Or

Monday Treadmill (your weak and tired from the weekend ) use the incline and change it up, but keep HR at 70%

Tuesday Elliptical

Wed she had a whole workout on the treadmill where I walked 10 min, then did 10 squats, 10 push ups, 10 min walk, 10 side lunges, 10 reg lunges, and so on. I loved this except ppl would try to steal the tread mill if I didnt get the end one. This is a COOL workout and I burned more cals than on any machiine!

Good luck