snacking after dinner

Options
Does anyone else have a problem with this? I have been in the habit of consuming an entire day's worth of calories after dinner. :( a whole packet of cookies/chocolate biscuits, and up to 190g of potato chips. I know. Sometimes I would eat more, half a Sara Lee family sized pie, chocolate mud cup cakes, you name it.

I need help with this. I get really stressed out by my two lovely boys during the day and I look forward to doing something insanely pleasurable at night as a reward for being a good mum to them (I find it really hard.... I was raised with a healthy dose of neglect and violence - breaking that cycle requires constant effort..). I have been thinking about alternatives, they are:

- a long shower with really nice smelling shower gel
- reading a good book in bed
- low calorie alternatives (flavoured rice crackers, skinny cow ice-cream sandwiches, etc.).

ANyone BTDT?? ANy suggestions? I will appreciate any advice...this is my biggest challenge area.

Replies

• Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I totally understand where you are coming from. I too struggle with eating a days worth of calories in one sitting, given half a chance. I don't have an answer to it yet, I just have to realluy try to resist and go for healthy snack instead. Good idea on finding something to distract yourself. Do you have any hobbies? I must admit, I don't, but a hobby is a great way to keep your hands busy so as not to eat.
  • Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I too eat a bunch after my kids go down. I try to make better choices, but run into having a cocktail or glass of wine with my snacks. I have found myself going to bed to not snack! You have good ideas! Keep up the good fight!
  • maura1110
    maura1110 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Go work out when you have the cravings!! When you get back, you might not have as strong a craving anymore, or will be more likely to eat something healthy because you don't want to undo your workout. Even if you are still craving and you give in, you've already worked off some of the calories so it's less damage done.

I also like the ideas you came up with but this is just another thought in case those don't work for you. Hope this helps! :)
  • zevonfangrrrl
    Options
    Yeah that's a great idea...I do have a few hobbies..thank you. Thanks for what you said about struggling with eating a lot in one go...I always feel so awkward admitting things like that so it's a big relief when I find I'm not all alone...

ETA: thank you for those ideas...I keep telling myself to go to bed because I need the sleep! I'm too much of a night owl. And I need to get to the gym more, in the evenings...or maybe just do some yoga in the living room or something....
  • a1rose
    a1rose Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I say definitely try something healthier with a little bit of nummy, like... apples with caramel or something?? And try to stick with one apple... and less caramel. haha. :)

Or maybe a little cheese?

Oooh... cheesecakkkkeee... SHHH I didn't say that!! Hahaha.
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I do too and that's why I save half a days calories for at night and I eat low calorie snacks. I've had no issues with eating late so far.
  • zevonfangrrrl
    Options
    That's a good idea...maybe a bit of fresh fruit with lite whipped cream or something...

I save calories for night times, too! So encouraged that it hasn't been a problem for you...I can't imagine giving up night snacking altogether...it's the only time of day I can eat uninterrupted and really enjoy something...
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    That's a good idea...maybe a bit of fresh fruit with lite whipped cream or something...

I save calories for night times, too! So encouraged that it hasn't been a problem for you...I can't imagine giving up night snacking altogether...it's the only time of day I can eat uninterrupted and really enjoy something...

I always eat late in the evenings too, and still lost weight. When I got to goal before (I re-gained most of my loss), I ate in the evenings, just before bed. I actually struggle to sleep if I don't lie down with a full belly!
  • thibautseeker
    thibautseeker Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I used to be exactly like that! 3 things that have stopped me.

1 Yoga - I do a small amount every night (started off with 10 mins and currently do 20), why does this help - you can't do yoga for at least 2 hours after you've eaten, you can't do the stretches properly and it's uncomfortable if you try (not to mention you've a good chance of being sick). When you've done it you feel great - relaxed, stretched.

2 I eat plenty of veg/salad with my evening meal and I'm stuffed when I've eaten it.

3 I listen to a subliminal suggestion cd every night as I go to bed which has stopped me craving cake, biscuits etc etc
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Eating late night is also my struggle. I consume a good portion of my calores at dinner and between dinner and bed.

First, plan your day to have calories left to eat at night. If this means having a smaller breakfast and lunch, rearange your eating. I don't think you will change when you are hungry. I think it's a body thing. It knows when it wants food. Second, snack at night based on how many calories you have left. This really motivates me to exercise every day and fairly hard, so I will have plenty of calories to snack on when I need them. Third, change what you are snacking on. Don't eat a box of cookies or a quart of ice cream. There is no way you can work out hard enough to compensate for that. Small endulgences are great. Most nights I eat a mini snickers ice cream bar. It is great, caramel, chocolate, ice cream, nuts and only 90 calories. It satisfies my sweet craving and doesn't blow things. I stop because the bar is gone. Try new things to snack on. There is probably a world of things you have not tried? I love sugar snap peas dipped in red pepper hummas. Before this I had never tried hummus. Trie eating more protien (it is filling). I frequently eat a hard boiled egg. Try a few almonds, but be careful at all the calories in them. I usually eat 6-8 before bed. Try Emerald coacoa dusted almonds (tastey and much lower in sodium). When you are out of calories, GO TO BED. Yeah, yeah, I am a night owl to, but GO TO BED. It can be done. You can get your body to do it. If you stay up, you will get hungry again and snack. The snacking will wake you up just enough to get hungry again. There goes a bag of chips, so, did I say this already? GO TO BED!!!

Sleep will help your performance, sanity, weight loss and make you less stressed with the kids.

Good luck and GO TO BED.
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options

Last night I had strawberries with some honey drizzled on it. Heaven!!! I'm so busy with the kids in the day I dont want or cant snack but when they are in bed and I can hear myself think I enjoy my snack/s. lol
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

First, plan your day to have calories left to eat at night. If this means having a smaller breakfast and lunch, rearange your eating. I don't think you will change when you are hungry.

^ This is good advice.

I would also take a look at your calorie deficit and your food choices within your current diet. Often times, desires to binge can be related to over-aggressive dieting or choosing foods with a poor satiety relative to the calorie totals.

Eating before bed is absoluteley fine as long you're not eating over your calorie limit for the day -- but in your case it sounds like you are.
  • SlenderSuze
    SlenderSuze Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I find that a short stroll after dinner helps me digest the healthy dinner I just enjoyed. Even my husband has recently joined me. I enjoy the fresh air and a good belch! It also keeps me from settling down in front of the TV with all the subliminal snacking messages as well as my own snack habit. A little longer walk and it's almost time to get ready for reading in bed or a warm shower and an early snooze.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I LOVE snacks. My main strategy is :

1) know that I WILL want a snack and plan for it

2) have a satisfying dinner so that I am almost too full to overindulge

3) have healthier treats around so that I can't do too much damage even if I have 2-3 servings

4) drink tea or water after my snack so that I'm a bit more full than if I had ONLY the snack
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I am, too, plannign for a snack after dinner/close to bed time. I usually have some baby carrots with 1 teaspoon french dressing, a reese's cup, a fruit cocktail I made...Pick something and then chew slowly and carefully. Let the food melt in your mouth and it will be more satisfying.
  • PompousClock
    Options
    Keep your mouth and hands busy! For the mouth, chew sugar-free gum or sip chamomile tea or ice water. For the hands, make beaded jewelry, sew Christmas ornaments, paint your nails, solve a jigsaw puzzle. Something that will completely occupy your hands and attention.

(That's after you have one of the planned desserts everyone else has listed!)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Always leave myself enough calories for late night snack. Usually low fat popcorn.