Pasta?

Options
So, nearly everyday for dinner i will have pasta. i am half italian.. and my dad has to have his pasta!
i try make my mum buy brown pasta.. because its more nutritious, do you think it could be holding be back with my weight loss? it hasnt made me gain any, but could it be slowing things down? thanks your answers :)

Replies

• tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation! I have pasta maybe once a month and I make sure to measure it.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Wholemeal is more important than the colour, and yes it could well be holding you back.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Excess of carbs can make weight loss harder, and most weight loss plans use a 40/30/30 ratio or even more protein which doesn't allow you many carbs anyways. However, it's good that you're eating wholemeal pasta :-) A small bowl a day should be no problem. < 100g of carbs a day is ideal for weight loss, but there's a bunch of science and exceptions behind that.
  • WKenL
    WKenL Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It depends on what else you eat and how much of it you eat, how much you exercise, etc..

If I ate pasta every night, I'd be packing it on ... but it's all a question of balance. Watch the calories and carbs, get the fiber, protein, etc., and you'll be fine.
  • TheTonyPony
    Options
    Definitely. Carbs arent great for weightloss as they provide too much energy to our body.

My parents had pasta for dinner tonight, so I just had the meat and some broccoli.
  • TheTonyPony
    Options
    Definitely. Carbs arent great for weightloss as they provide too much energy to our body.

My parents had pasta for dinner tonight, so I just had the meat and some broccoli.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    im pretty sure thats what she meant when she said brown... but yes getting wholemeal is IMPORTANT. look just get a food scale and measure it and you will be fine, use the database to see how many grams/ounces you can have of it that fits into your goal and make your own lower cal sauce to go with it. try pureeing tomato onion capsicum and spices. add chillis if you like spice :) and make sure to add lots of veggies!
  • babyblake11
    Options

carbs are not bad for weight loss, just make sure to measure as they are calorie dense. but again get wholemeal because the white kind will leave you hungry and sluggish and lacks nutrition.
  • babyblake11
    Options
    and you dont HAVE to add meat if you want to keep the calories down just make sure youre getting enough protein elsewhere.
  • MrsBlobs
    MrsBlobs Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    In the Uk a recommended portion is about 75g (uncooked). I've been sticking to that and still seeing a weightloss. I just add a serious load of veg and stuff to it. Also I tend not to use sauces that much and rely on the veg and protein I'm adding to give flavour.
  • NadiaT287
    Options
    thank you for your advice :)
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    As long as you're sticking to your calorie goal, it's fine. I am having 56g of pasta tonight at dinner. :) Granted, I don't eat it often because you don't get much for the calories!
  • babyblake11
    Options
    Excess of carbs can make weight loss harder, and most weight loss plans use a 40/30/30 ratio or even more protein which doesn't allow you many carbs anyways. However, it's good that you're eating wholemeal pasta :-) A small bowl a day should be no problem. < 100g of carbs a day is ideal for weight loss, but there's a bunch of science and exceptions behind that.

i really dont agree with low carb diets unless it is for a special health reason. it is reccomended that if you do go low carb, to not go lower than 45% for more than a month or two.
  • fish119
    fish119 Posts: 67
    Options
    I eat pasta all the time and so far so good. My famiy eats dreamfield's pasta. My dad is diabetic and even he can eat it without it messing with his levels. It doesn't have a "healthy" taste to it it, it tastes just like regular pasta. I would give it a try!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i can't imagine eating the same or similar thing every night. pasta is one of my favorites, but i still only eat it at most, once a week. its tough if you have family that aren't that helpful, but see what you can do to vary the meal yourself. can you compromise with them, and have them switch one meal a week to something else?? like chicken and brown rice?
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Moderation in all things is my motto. In your household, with daily pasta, that may mean that you'll have to eat a smaller portion of the pasta dish and always have a salad and/or side veggies to go along with it. Good idea to go with the whole grain/brown pasta and also try sauces with more vegetable/tomato bases than meat/cheese/cream.
  • lolollama
    Options
    I absolutely love pasta so I try and stay away from it because once I get started I can't stop :P It also tends to make me very bloated so that's another reason. As everyone else is saying as long as it is within your calorie limit then it's fine :)
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Ironically enough, pasta and rice are probably two of the healthiest things i eat!
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options

i really dont agree with low carb diets unless it is for a special health reason. it is reccomended that if you do go low carb, to not go lower than 45% for more than a month or two.

I don't eat low carb either, haha. If I do it is a coincidence. It has been studied though, that lower carb diets have faster/easier results, but the difference is marginal especially when it drives most people crazy. Might as well share the info though :)
  • ivikatasha
    ivikatasha Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with pasta. I eat it all the time and I am still losing at a rate of 2 pounds a week. As long as it fits into your daily calorie limits it is fine! I even had a krispy kreme glazed donut yesterday..... damn coworkers for bringing those in! :smile: