10lbs=11.8lbs?

i have been wondering for a while if my weighted gloves are actually 2 lbs each like the box said. so this morning i put them on my scale to check my scale didnt even recognize they where on it... so i put my 5lbs weight on it and it said 7lbs then i put my 10lbs on it and it said 11.8? should i be getting a new scale? what are signs to look for in a dieing scale?

Replies

• MamaBear57
    MamaBear57 Posts: 336 Member
    bump
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Well, if I had a scale that didn't weight correctly, I'd definitely get a new one..
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    i have noticed crazy stuff like that in the past too..good luck
  • If 5 =7 & 10 = 11.8 logic says your 2lb gloves should have read around 4 lbs not zero, doesn't really compute!

If it doesn't weigh accurately, or at least have a consitant error it's not really a scale, more of a plant pot stand!
  • terihaddad
    terihaddad Posts: 114 Member
    I've heard that anything under 10lbs doesn't weigh properly. To check if your scale is working, put something you KNOW is 10lbs on the scale and ensure it hits 10lbs.
  • a1rose
    a1rose Posts: 127 Member
    You may just need to reset your scale. Hopefully you still have the manual??
  • SCVirginia
    SCVirginia Posts: 7 Member
    Try weighing a bag of sugar.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,380 Member
    I'm thinking like PP that maybe under a certain weight it may not be able to get an accurate reading. Maybe try a combination that should add up to 20lbs and see what happens.....
  • SarahxCheesecake
    SarahxCheesecake Posts: 169 Member
    Put a full bag of sugar on it.
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    The best way to weigh smaller items like this is to get on the scale yourself, then get on holding the item in question. Subtract the difference and you should get a more accurate weight. Smaller items just don't weigh correctly on scales designed to weigh people.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    The Taylor digital scale website says industry standard is for scales to be accurate to within about 2 lbs. so it's in the right range.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    The best way to weigh smaller items like this is to get on the scale yourself, then get on holding the item in question. Subtract the difference and you should get a more accurate weight. Smaller items just don't weigh correctly on scales designed to weigh people.

This... Yeah and if it still comes out wrong you can always get a new scale. I like the digital ones, but sometimes a good old fashioned no batteries needed scale can work just fine!!
  • Scales have a range and minimum weight for accuracy and they are built and calibrated for a range of weight, not weight in any range.

If you want accurate measurements below 10 pounds, you would use a kitchen scale or something meant for that weight range.

I wouldn't trust a body weight scale for anything below 50 pounds.
  • floshideaway
    floshideaway Posts: 101 Member
    light weights are not meant to be measured on people's scale. If you still want to use it and check the accuracy, first weight yourself and immediately after get back on carrying whatever you are trying to weight. Otherwise a good kitchen scale can weight accurately small stuff.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    The Taylor digital scale website says industry standard is for scales to be accurate to within about 2 lbs. so it's in the right range.

This doesn't mean it is accurate down to 2 lbs, it means that the weight it displays is within 2 lbs of your true weight. (+/- 2 lbs)
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member

This doesn't mean it is accurate down to 2 lbs, it means that the weight it displays is within 2 lbs of your true weight. (+/- 2 lbs)

Oh, yeah, sorry if I worded that poorly. That's what I meant to convey.