Party today - SCARED...

Options
Had a good week - excercised 6/7 days - controlled my portions and lost some weight. Sometimes my dieting efforts fall apart after a week. I don't want that to happen again.

I am VERY nervous to attend a party today - we have unseasonably warm temps (85) - and I'm going to a poolside post-golf/family/neighborhood get together - it just screams for a few beers and bad-for-you food...how to be good and not feel deprived.......? Because when I feel deprived I sometimes rebel...

Replies

• brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Have a beer. or two. Not a few. Drink ice water in between them. Have the fun food, just half the size portions you would have had before....and put veggies on the other half the plate. No deprivation needed.
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    It's not the same exactly, but I had a buffet style work dinner at a very good restaurant a few weeks ago. I just had a little bit of what I wanted & was still able to enjoy a glass of wine
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I say not to go completely off, but enjoy a little bit of everything. :)
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Remember your plan...stick with it.. You will amaze yourself!!! Just don't go to the party hungry!!!
  • a1rose
    a1rose Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Drink a few glasses of water, and then eat the fruit that they have available (or bring your own food!). You CAN have a beer or two if you WANT. Just do it in moderation!

Good luck to you!!
  • JetFixer
    JetFixer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    What I do in that situation is bank my calories for the event. Eat a lighter breakfast, etc. Have a few beers and a burger, but maintain control. If you go over a little on your calories every once in a while, its really not a big deal! Definitely don't deprive yourself! Have fun at the party and get back to business tomorrow!
  • Marianna194
    Marianna194 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    And since you'll be in the pool (assumingly), you'll get a bit of excerxise in! (I assume you won't be doing laps lol but just wading in place while talking to ppl is great for your legs
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    I get nervous at social gatherings, but I try to plan in advance for them. I save up some calories, pace myself, try not to stand right next to the food. Don't be too hard on yourself, but remember it's not a free for all.
  • Joannguido
    Options
    trust yourself. drink a lot of water, eat smaller portions, keep moving. Don't deprive yourself of what you want or you will rebel!!! And dont look at all that food LOL, look in the mirror instead and see how far you have come. You can do it, we have faith in you. Enjoy
  • RDH77
    RDH77 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue myself so I understand. I do a combination of what other folks have mentioned. I bank a bit and eat a lighter breakfast, usually a piece of protein and a carb. I also either purchase my own beer (I look for low cal like Michelob Ultra or the Bud 55 calorie) or I'll pick a glass of red wine (I'm partial to pinot noir it's about 120 cals per 8oz) and just have one glass. As far as food, I just go for the healthy stuff FIRST. Veggies and fruit and fill up on those. Between each drink I have to have a full glass of water. If I want a treat, I'll have it but keep it small. It's about having a plan ahead of time. I try to keep reminding myself thing's in moderation. You can do this!! Have a great time at your party!
  • elianexox
    elianexox Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Have a beer. or two. Not a few. Drink ice water in between them. Have the fun food, just half the size portions you would have had before....and put veggies on the other half the plate. No deprivation needed.

I agree :)
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I would suggest having a really good workout beforehand. Then, when you get to the party, eat what you want in very small quantities. You will do fine.
  • pandsmomCheryl
    pandsmomCheryl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I had a very light breakfast & lunch, and worked out for an hour before the party. I didn't have pizza or burgers - only picked at some hummus & chips - and had a few too many beers - but I was still within my daily calories. So I guess I drank my dinner last night - haha. It was so hot I actually didn't feel hungry so I guess it worked out alright. Back to a more balanced diet today though - had a great time but that can only be once in a while....LOL....have a great day/week....