iPod shuffle help

Options
Hi
I have an iPod Shuffle and lately have had trouble charging it. None of the laptops in the house (3) will recognise it so I can't add songs or charge it now.
Today when running it seemed that the different 'layers' of the music were louder or quieter. Bizarre.
My question is - do you think it is on it's way out? If so and I buy a new one is it easy to transfer my music from the iTunes site onto a new iPod?

Thanks for any techie advice you can give.

Alison

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Try rebooting it to the factory settings (you can find youtube videos on how to do that). Once you do that it should charge again like normal and you can re-sync it with all your songs. Most of the time that fixes all problems.
  • kandy221
    Options
    You can try buying an inexpensive wall charger to charge it, or buy a new ipod. Yes, it is easy to put all your old music to the new ipod from itunes. Good Luck.
  • bariachic
    bariachic Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hey Allison! if you do end up getting a new ipod, your music will transfer onto it exactly the way it was on your shuffle. So no need to worry about losing songs.

As for your current ipod, you probably should restore it to factory defaults and try syncing it again before completely giving up on it.
  • jmaurer117
    Options
    Do you have a local Apple store in a mall or somewhere around you? They will do the troubleshooting for you and send it for repair only if needed.
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Yes it is very easy to load your songs from I tunes to a new shuffle. Once you hook it up it will ask something like do you want to associate the new shuffle with your library. Say yes, and set your existing playlist to load on the new shuffle.

The batteries in the sufflle are not replaceable and will not last forever, but I doubt that is your problem?
  • Dean513
    Dean513 Posts: 23
    Options
    Try restoring your shuffle to its original settings from your itunes. It will be in the versions section of the shuffle menu.

If your using a mac and the restore doesn't work, use the disk utility program to repair the shuffle.
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I cannot reset it to factory settings as I can't get it recognised on the laptop. I checked out the youtube stuff - thanks but again it won't work cos it doesn't pick it up.
    I will try to take it into a store but there are not many of those in my part of the U.K.
    I think for £40 or less I should bite the bullet and buy a new one - I have had this for almost 5 years!!

Cheers everyone!
    :drinker:
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    5 years is a pretty good run and the new ones are reasonably priced.