Struggling! Food ideas please!!

Options
So im trying to cut a lot of fat out of my diet and i know that consists of lean meats and lots of vegetables... but i need ideas on how to spruce them up without adding fats. How to cook them? How do i spruce up veg to make it taste better? What are some low fat recipes for lunch? things i can make up and separate into containers and take to work to eat? Any tasty ideas would be great. Thanks in advance. Also i seem to feel very hungry while eating healthy stuff... i need stuff thats filling..and that will keep me full for a long time.

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Well when you do use HEALTHY fats (mind you, you do need this), make homemade pestos! Homemade vinaigrettes (very very easy to do) - fat gives you the enhancement of flavor....

Stick with refreshing things like lime or lemon... great to splash on anything as-is! I find thats all I want for my salad dressing...

Finding filling foods will have to be up to you do determine what fills you up....

What dietary-method are you following besides aiming for lower fat options?
  • Mynue_Jeens
    Mynue_Jeens Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    High fiber foods like fruits, veggies, beans and whole grains will help you feel fuller longer. Nuts will help as well but can pack a lotf calories if you aren't careful. You fo need fat in your diet however so I wouldn't try to eliminate or cut down too much. Healthy fats like olive oil, coconut oil and other vegetable or seed oils are great or you and add flavor to food. Jut be mindful of how much ou are using.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    you need healthy fats in your diet - avacado, nuts, seeds & such.
    dry spices are good to add to your meals. rice wine vinegar is good with a stirfry. sesame oil and olive oil (high in fat, but healthy fat) are good. white wine vinegar is great for salads. wholegrain mustard. a good dressing is; 1 tbspn wholegrain mustard, 2 tbspn white wine vinegar, 4 tbspn olive oil. serves 4. taste yummo!
  • Tabbi_RN
    Options
    I like to flavor ground turkey with worcesteshire sauce or put bbq sauce on top of turkey burgers. I also bake chicken breasts, let cool then shred and cook with taco seasoning (reduced sodium seasoning). Its very good warm for a taco dinner or cold on top of lettuce with salsa for a healthy taco salad. Thats one you could very easily make up a head of time. You can also buy very lean ground beef, its a liitle more expensive but makes very good loose meat sandwichs ( I flavor with onion, galic, oregano/italian mix, and beef boulin or broth again reduced sodium. You can also use the lean beef in spaghetti sauce. You dont even notice the missing fat. It comes in 93% lean, which is what we buy and Ive even seen 96% lean. I agree though that healthy fats are necessary. Olive oil, fish, nuts, all good sources of the fats we need. Hope that gives you a few ideas!
  • hol34
    hol34 Posts: 3
    Options
    One of my fav dishes is a spicy bean spaghetti!

Cook a small amount of spaghetti

low cal spray
    garlic (or lazy garlic)
    freshly chopped chilli (or lazy chillies or chilli flakes)
    chopped onion
    chopped peppers / courgettes /aubergine - whatever you like really. You could even do a bit of crispy bacon!
    tinned tomatoes or passata
    TIn of three bean salad
    italian herb seasoning and salt and pepper

Cook til veggies soft or however you like them, then add in the spaghetti and serve! It's delicious, quick and easy!

I haven't worked out the cals for this, but with all those veggies and not too much spaghetti it can't be too bad!
  • chris6515
    chris6515 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Looking to make your veggies taste better? Try balsamic vinager--very very flavorful. Great on summer vegetables. I like to make a salad of just tomatoes, sweet onion, cucumber, and peppers drizzled with balsamic vinager and sprinkled with feta cheese. The fall veggies like squash and root vegetables can be roasted with olive oil. Butternut squash makes a delicous fall soup--very creamy, colorful and filling. Be sure to check the "recipes" blog for inspiration. Skinnytaste.com is a great healthy recipe site. Good luck.