I'm SEVERELY confused.

MaximumAngelus
MaximumAngelus Posts: 10 Member
edited October 3 in Health and Weight Loss
Proir to the last 4 days (that I would LOVE to pretend didn't happen) I was following what I was supposed to be doing pretty well. That issue is that when I was doing what I was supposed to do I was getting thinner but not lighter. :( ideas.

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Proir to the last 4 days (that I would LOVE to pretend didn't happen) I was following what I was supposed to be doing pretty well. That issue is that when I was doing what I was supposed to do I was getting thinner but not lighter. :( ideas.

how long were you following it, what method were you using to determine that you got thinner, how often and consistent was your weighing procedure, and what physical activities were you doing (weights/cardio/etc).

Need more info.
  • DimplesInProgress
    DimplesInProgress Posts: 149 Member
    You were probably building muscle.. It weighs more than fat...
  • twiztedgrl69
    twiztedgrl69 Posts: 191 Member
    well, depending on your weight you could be losing inches initially but it depends on what you're doing for exercise
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Losing weight but building muscle? What were you doing? Tell us more.
  • suzieduh
    suzieduh Posts: 196 Member

lolz
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member

Not this. You cannot build muscle on a calorie deficit.
  • CoachNYLA
    CoachNYLA Posts: 129
    probably losing water weight.

The first 8-10 pounds of loss for most is water weight when you change up what you eat (for a healthier fare) and reduce the sodium in your plan.

FYI.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    If you were getting thinner, what's the problem? Who cares what the scales says? It's probably water weight.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Contrarian, what happens to us when we do the 30ds? I for one am still on a small deficit but my muscles did seem to get stronger...
  • MaximumAngelus
    Most of the days I got to Karate for ~3 hours. From 4 to 7. But i only REALLY work out for ~2 out of the 3 hours of that. and I was following it for about a week before the "Happening". do I need to exercise more and eat less?
    When I say "most" I mean 5 days out of 7.
  • Sidesteal

Not this. You cannot build muscle on a calorie deficit.

^ This is untrue, you can build muscle in a deficit, it's just very difficult, requires certain conditions to exist, and requires very accurate intakes. Can an experienced bodybuilder do it? Very unlikely. Can someone who just started lifting? More likely in this case.

Now that being said, the problem with people claiming that muscle gain is offsetting scale weight, is that it doesn't physiologically work that way. If you are eating at a deficit, you are LOSING WEIGHT, by definition of deficit. Even if you are building/recomping some lean mass during a cut, your SCALE WEIGHT will decrease because you are in a deficit.
  • Sidesteal
    Most of the days I got to Karate for ~3 hours. From 4 to 7. But i only REALLY work out for ~2 out of the 3 hours of that. and I was following it for about a week before the "Happening". do I need to exercise more and eat less?

1 week is not nearly enough time to make any determinations about anything.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    If you were getting thinner, what's the problem? Who cares what the scales says? It's probably water weight.
    yup. take your measurements and pay attention to how your clothes feel. Better than the scale!
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Remember that fat takes up more room than muscle so if you are building muscle you are getting thinner... you will eventually see a drop in the pounds, I'm sure. Hang in there! Sounds like you are doing wonderful.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member

:explode:

This is not accurate.

The average woman will put on fewer than 5 lbs. of muscle in her ADULT LIFETIME unless she is hardcore training with Olympic weights.

And muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. Please stop repeating this. Thank you.
  • MaximumAngelus
    So should I not be concerned that I'm not actually LOSING weight? Isn't that the goal? ?The BMI chart says I'm over weight. personally that doesn't make me comfortable.
  • MaximumAngelus
    So should I not be concerned that I'm not actually LOSING weight? Isn't that the goal? ?The BMI chart says I'm over weight. personally that doesn't make me comfortable.
  • dobarber
    dobarber Posts: 611 Member
    I've been on MFP for about a month and a half. I've been at a plateau for about a week after a quick weight loss of 22 pounds. I'm not noticing any measurement changes but I ring that I wear all the time is falling off of my hand and my wedding ring which now makes a groove in my hand is starting to actually fit better. This started happening during my plateau. I also added classes at the gym and calorie def to my lifestyle. You're probably just on the same kind of plateau which could last a long while. Keep doing what you're doing and eventually your body will decide to cut the weight loose. Good job so far! Keep it up.
  • MaximumAngelus

:explode:

This is not accurate.

The average woman will put on fewer than 5 lbs. of muscle in her ADULT LIFETIME unless she is hardcore training with Olympic weights.

And muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. Please stop repeating this. Thank you.

This has no bearings on me... apparently look very womanly. I'm a guy... and this is embarrassing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,916 Member
    You may not lose weight every week. Also, it depends on your nutritional intake. Water has a lot to do with it too.
This discussion has been closed.