I need help please

Options
I have struggled with my weight all my life I've done a little good now but I noticed when I'm mad I eat , sad I eat, and stressed I eat. What are some ways to stop doing that.....please let me know thx..

Replies

• tdupree71
    Options
    Instead of eating, exercise .... or eat fruit or a protein bar. Exercise helps with stress anyway and once you see you have lost weight, you won't get mad easily because you will feel so much better!!
  • kindyteacher
    kindyteacher Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It's great that you have noticed you do this because now you can do something to change it. I used to eat when I was bored or watching tv. Now while I watch tv I do something else to keep my hands busy. I get on the computer, play with the dog, work on lesson plans, etc. Instead of eating you need to find something else to replace food. You could go on a walk, clean the house, fold laundry, if you have a dog/cat you can give them some attention.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with my weight all my life I've done a little good now but I noticed when I'm mad I eat , sad I eat, and stressed I eat. What are some ways to stop doing that.....please let me know thx..
    I am the exact same way. I wish I knew the answers.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss/MH00025

also books by the author Geneen Roth
    http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Free-Emotional-Eating-Geneen/dp/0452284910
  • jkarnett
    Options
    Find a hobby you really enjoy and turn to that when you are feeling stressed, sad or discouraged. I quilt because it is something I have to focus and concentrate on and I don't think about anything else. I also take long walks. The fresh air always clears my head and you get exercise in the bargain. Nature is so beautiful and simple!
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I also am an emotional eater, and when I am tempted or desiring to eat and I shouldn't be I get on here and go through the posts and what not its working for me.
  • LAWIII
    LAWIII Posts: 50
    Options
    Find another way to deal with those issues. I know in theory it's replacing one addiction with another, but try exercising. Anytime you feel the need to eat (outside of normal meals) get up and do something until the feeling passes. Stretch, walk, run, dance, jump up and down, whatever. Just do something that moves you and gets your mind off the desire to eat. Also, just in case you are in a situation where exercise might not be appropriate or possible, keep healthy snacks around. For me, baby carrots work. Getting away from unhealthy eating habits, is like going through the breakup of a relationship. It can be difficult and painful and distractions can be your best friend.
    No matter what, don't give up!!!!!!
  • erikag34
    erikag34 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am a stress eater too! Exercise is a great way to help. Stress eating is a habit and you are going to create a different way (habit) to deal with stress. I made a list of 10 different things that I can do when I am stressed and I want to eat. The first thing I try is slow breathing. It helps me to get things into persepective and calm enough to look at my list. The things I have on my list are simple things like have a cup of tea, go for a walk, or write in my journal. It's not always easy replacing the food but I beleive there has to be a healthier way to deal with stress. :smile: I hope this helps!
  • rms2954
    Options
    I can understand that you are going through. Eating is a comfort. Especially if things are not going right. Or sometime to reward yourself - and there is no one around to share it with. That is not to say you have no friends in your life but there something happens positively you want instant gratification - hence a chocolate bar or ice cream. When things are going bad, the taste of a bag of chips gives a moment of pleasure.

Exercise... yes that is good but if it is cold or your feeling blue - exercise is not a priority. When I am feeling emotional I need to get myself away from food until my emotional balance returns. Take a bubble bath. If you want to indulge take a glass of something to drink... ideally sparkling water... or even a glass of wine. Or take your favorite book and go into your bedroom and read. Or if there is no quiet space in your house - take your book... got to the local supermarket and read in the parking lot... even with the radio or cd player playing low in the background.

After you get your emotional balance back again... the urge to use food as a comfort will pass and you will want to exercise or eat healthy snacks. It take 30 days to make a habit - 30 days to break a habit. Try not to use food as a comfort for 30 days. You will see how strong you really are.
  • Jayfitness27
    Options
    brown,

I feel so bad for you as I was in the same boat as you for almost 20+ years!. Yes even when i was tiny tiny I was going through alot of crap in which in my subconcious was making me feel insecure and began to look towards food as a suggestion to getting out of it. Its hard but what has helped me now that im out of that haze and living my life for myself for a change... I have tried many things from pills to just starving myself and though I am not anerexic I have lived and been married to oen for almost 2 years now and been around alcoholism for 1 1/2 years with my ex-husband and well the key to reclaiming your life isnt weight watchers, or any of these programs that promise weight loss at a cost. Sure its motivation and a way to keep you organized but it does nothing for personal satisfaction unles you truly lose something... The key is simply looking at yourself and saying i am going to change, and honestly i was crying one night due to my spouse making me feel like **** (Im blunt) and i saw the vegangal.com video by Jill Onvik on netflix and i watched her hour and 20 minute video and honestly though i am not completely a vegitarian i took alot of that information and researched an alternative

Now I have been a pescatarian (pescotarian) i dont know the exact term, but I eat fish and other seafood but no meat (beef, pork chicken e.t.c) no dairy, no eggs, and no cheeses or hydrogenated oils and i spend only a 1/2 hour a day exercising for about 2-3 times a week if that or sometimes more if i am motivated. Music has also helped when i am tipping myself upside down (inverted postures) music clears the head and it keeps my focus now i can do shoulderstands for 3-4 minutes working toward 5 mins solid. it works the abs and keeps my mind fresh while flushing out any illness or toxins sure i might cough from time to time and feel some tightness in the chest but thats because my lungs now are free and not used to the air being brought in in as much volume as it used to ...

Other than what i have shared try these things

- Cut down on the sugar, and try drinking herbal teas more often

- Try to stop caffiene for a bit until you are feeling more energetic because the stimulant is going to raise both heartrate and blood pressure and the buzz is good but you want to not have this be your only source of energy

- Drink 1 energy drink a week/month - Make sure it s not milk derived or has high levels of sugar and provides vitamins for that extra boost but dont rely on it more than 2 a month might make you dependant on it. this is only a suggestion if you must have a boost without the caffinene,, also make sure its caffiene free.

- Listen to positive music, when you work out try using an MP3 player and headphones and block out all distractions and just do some exercises or jog in place for bit to the beat. I am a ex -zumba instructor that is getting recertified soon i hope, but with this economy who knows how long. however music is the most powerful method in this earth for self-motivation

- Call a friend or like you have.... seek out support when you feel stuck ask advice never go at this alone...

Add me if you would like... but just try to do you best.. everyone is different but we have all been there

Take care,

Jason
  • navywifeandmomof4
    navywifeandmomof4 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    exercise,find a hobby drink water instead..good luck on your journey
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I say seek therapy. Emotional eating is difficult to overcome, as there are usually underlying issues that have caused it. Seeing a therapist could really help solve that.