I do really well for a week or two then fall off the wagon :

Options
I do really well on my diet - or actually I'm just changing the way I eat, trying to eat healthier without all the sugar and carbs...but after a week or two I get cravings for anything and everything that I shouldn't have - like chocolate and/or chips. So I give in and fall off the wagon - and by that I fall hard! I'll lose 2-4 lbs in that one or two weeks but end up gaining it back in the three days I've given into my cravings.

Does anyone else have this issue? If so, how do you overcome it? I once was told if I can stay on my diet for at least three weeks, it will get easier but I've barely reached the three week mark LOL

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I would examine the aggressiveness of your diet and the individual food choices. Sometimes over aggressive deficits can lead to binges/cravings/etc.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I second Sidesteal's comment. Ease yourself into it.
  • hatravers
    hatravers Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    save a few cals each day for chocolate or crisps then maybe u wont be so tempted
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    You're a classic example of what happens when you deny yourself things. As you've seen you end up craving them, then binging.

The key is to not deny yourself anything, and eat the things you really want, but in moderation. That way you don't end up craving and binging. You want some chocolate? Have it! Just remember to log the calories, and work it into your daily allowance.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Just stick with it as best as you can. If you fall off the wagon, hop right back on the next day. Remember two things: you're not a saint (no one is) and this is a lifestyle change, so it has to be sustainable. I don't think it's sustainable to never ever eat white sugar or refined carbs ever again. I know some people do need to go cold turkey and can't give into their cravings. If that doesn't work for you (it didn't work for me), the either substitute those things that you crave with something a bit more healthy or give in, but in small amounts.

If you do stick with it, then eventually the cravings really will subside. I've been doing this since the beginning of July. I've noticed that the cravings have definitely subsided, and even when I do get them, the feeling that I get from eating junk is not the same euphoric feeling as it once was. Sweets and crap that I used to eat before no longer taste good to me and I usually feel sick after.
  • chrissaucier
    chrissaucier Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I use to have this problem all the time, but now instead of totally depriving myself of the things I really enjoy (like pasta) I plan for them in my daily calorie count and it's much easier to stay on track.
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I've made it passed the three week mark...and still get the cravings. I indulge in moderation on a weekly basis to avoid falling off the wagon completely.

AND I agree with the above comments, too aggressive deficit = more aggressive cravings.
  • purplehorizon
    purplehorizon Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you - this really helps. I think besides what somebody said about not depriving myself of the occasional chocolate or crisps, to eat in moderation. But also to stay focused on my goal. I just read where another MFP member was having a hard time focusing, thus failing. I need to come here more often for motivation and reading how others are dealing with the same eating issues I am - so thanks again :))))))
  • sara4cos
    Options
    Don't deny yourself anything, just eat the things you love in moderation.
  • dobarber
    dobarber Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with hmonsterx. This weekend I had 1 s'more(graham cracker-campfire roasted marshmallow and chocolate bar sandwich) which I never thought I could have and lose weight. It actually put me just below my calorie allowance for the day which made me feel even better about doing it. Just don't over do it and log everything and you should be fine.
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Quick additional comment - Even Bob Harper says if he wants a cupcake, he has a cupcake...ONE, not FIVE.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I used to seriously have this problem! The other posters are right; don't deny yourself. Even "unhealthy" things are a part of the food spectrum, so I don't say any food is forbidden. I have been doing this since July and so far so good, I have had to tweak things when I started feeling like I was about to crash and burn (allow myself more calories and lower my goal weight loss for each week) and I can't say I'm losing like crazy, but I'm commited and I haven't stopped. For me, that is HUGE. Hope you get it all in order for yourself!
  • morenita71
    morenita71 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Go gradually - some people can fight the cravings but I believe we should be able to have everything in moderation. A few squares of chocolate never did any one any harm. If 80% of your calorie intake is healthy stuff then 20% made up of 'bad' food is not really going to be a problem. Gradually your tastes will change. I still love fish and chips but now share a portion with my partner. Likewise if we get a takeaway (less often than before but still every now and then) we eat half the amount and keep leftovers for next day.
    My weakness has always been portion control. But when you're logging everything and earning calories through exercise you shoul dbe able to treat yourself. There is no need to give up anything. All you need to do is eat less of it. Today I am looking forward to proper macaroni cheese and a big glass of red wine! Don't be too hard on yourself.
  • LAWIII
    LAWIII Posts: 50
    Options
    I would examine the aggressiveness of your diet and the individual food choices. Sometimes over aggressive deficits can lead to binges/cravings/etc.

I agree. Many people make the mistake of jumping into the deep end before they learn to swim. If you have had a lifetime of eating "garbage" and then try to eliminate all of it all at once, you are making it more difficult for yourself.
    Take baby steps at first. One good habit will make it easier to adopt another. instead of trying to eliminate sugar from your diet, stop drinking soda at first. For most people that one thing right there will make a difference. Then each week add another change. Before you know it, you will have made major change and made huge gains (losses)! Also, remember it only takes 30 days to create a habit! Do it for a month... do it for life!

01.01.2011 I was 248 lbs. I started with going to the gym. Then slowly added diet. I am now 187 pounds fully dressed and have plans on doing Tough Mudder! if I can do it... ANYONE CAN!

Feel free to add me if you like. I love to help and could use the help myself at times.

Good luck!
  • Splinkysgirl2
    Options
    Along with everything else that has already been said, remember to drink plenty of water (half your weight in ounces) each day. Water helps to make you feel full and therefore naturally suppresses your appetite. Keep going. You can do this!
  • cassyparker
    Options
    I always try and give myself a cheat day once a week and if I'm graving something sweet I make sure that I have low cal pudding cups in my fridge or jello. The chocolate pudding cups by jello that you get for the fridge are 60 cal a cup which really isn't to hard to fit in if you try to save some room or just go for a walk afterwards and kozy shack has 70 cal tapioca pudding cups which are absolutely amazing! And Jello also makes 5-10 cal jello cups. And if I ever really really have to have chocolate I go for a 100 cal milk chocolate bar that way its controlled and if I eat it slowly then it last for a while so it gets rid of the craving. Self control is something you need to use to get better at. The more you use it the easier it will be to say no to huge binges :)
  • monis01
    monis01 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Water is your friend! Drink plenty of it.... :wink: Remember, everything in moderation. Don't need to deprive yourself. Just make sure if you want that "slice of pizza" you may need to work out a little longer. :wink: Wish you well on your weight loss journey!! Hope we can be "myfitnesspal buddies". :flowerforyou:
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Eat a combination of healthy foods and your yummy snacks...just eat more of the healthy foods and always log everything you eat!! Deprivation does lead to bingeing so I basically eat what I want snackwise, I just make sure that I have the veggies too! Eat the way that you intend to eat for the rest of your life!
  • DinoDecoy
    DinoDecoy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me a lot, although since I'm noticing the trend I'm going to try to stop it. I'll be doing great, then, bam, I make up excuses and I end up not doing anything for a month or so. All you can do is not be too harsh on yourself and keep going. So what if you ate a slice of pizza, just work out harder and don't think "Oh well, I cheated. let me eat the rest of the box and give up." Just stop yourself and think "Alright that tasted good, but let's stop at one and continue on!" It takes will power and focus, but hey, that's what we're here for! To give you any support needed. c:
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    In the end, it is all about checks and balances. If I can feel that I am craving something (like Chipotle for me), I'll indulge in my favorite treat. That evening, however, I typically do some extra cardio or play some tennis. This helps me stay on the wagon without completely depriving myself of what I want.