Side Plank Problems

Options
Okay so I do side planks regularly (every other day) and I do fine on my right side (where my right leg is on the bottom) but I'm having a hard time doing my left side; my form is off on that side and I can't keep the balance.

Are other people having this problem where they can do 1 side just fine and the other not so fine?

To you side plank experts, do you have any idea of why this is and can you give me some tips on how to improve on that side?

Ironically, I'm a lefty. LOL

Replies

• DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    It's normal for one side of the body to have more strength and agility than the other. Just keep practicing. :) You can modify the side plank and move your bottom knee forward toward your chest to help with balance. Just move it a little further down each time. :)
  • Kaimana94
    Kaimana94 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Yes I have a bad right hip. Nothing I seem to do helps and I'm always having balance problems on one side
  • alucard835
    alucard835 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Side planks can be tough. Make sure that you are engaging your abs and not putting all the load on your shoulder or your neck. You want to make sure that you are using your hips and not your shoulder. That balance comes from your core. Need to strengthen it!
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    The right and left side of our bodies are different and perform differently. My left side is more flexible, but my right side is stronger.

If you always do your right side first, maybe your body is fatigued by the time you get to the left side. Instead of just stacking your right leg on top of your left, could you just keep your feet side by side for extra balance? You would still be working your entire body and your side waist and maybe gradually over time, you would be able to stack your feet. Take your time in setting yourself up. Do you look up or down when in side plank? I find looking up to be more challenging and looking down easier to balance.
  • 1hotbiscuit
    1hotbiscuit Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Am no expert but have done a lot of planks with my exercise class. Do you do the planks on your elbow? If so try doing them with a straight arm until you build stability. Also try spreading your feet out instead of having them on top of each other until you build up the strength on that side and focus your balance. One thing that really helped me when I first started was taking my top arm and instead of placing it on my hip holding it over my head in a bent "C" position. That helped keep my shoulders square and also pulled my side up so it was easier to keep my hip up. My instructor says it is completely normal to have a dominate side when doing certain exercises and it doesn't always follow if you are a lefty or righty.
  • idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I hate the side plank. I'm right handed and when my right arm is on the floor, I mostly fall on my nose. It's a funny picture seeing me trying to keep my balance.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Wow you guys are awesome! Some really good info, explanations, and tips! Thanks so much!:happy: