Ow, My Fat Hurts. (Comiserate with Me!)

Seriously. There is a band of fat across my bellybutton with a sharp, intermittent ache. (Don't fret. I'm pretty sure I don't have bellybutton cancer.)

Something similar happened after a previous whoosh of fat loss. Around the time I started, I was INSANELY itchy for about two months straight. Everyone told me to go to a dermatologist but it was just UNDER the skin and there were no other signs of skin irritation. I swore it had something to do with my weight loss (about 20 lbs. those two months!) and, in retrospect, I think I was right.

Anyone else go through odd-feeling bouts like this? :tongue:

Replies

• penny_eclipse
    penny_eclipse Posts: 524 Member
    I get itchy and owie fat too!

As I lose weight I've also had really itchy upper arms, belly, and legs (as they've shrunk), right now all the skin around my belly bulton and on the back of my arms by my triceps aches and really itches...I also think it's where the muscles under have been working really hard and are building up as I get it more after doing strength training...

I know it sounds stupid, but I know exactly what you mean!
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Dude, I had itchy belly from gaining all the weight (the last few months I gained a lot before I realized I got fat!). Now, I wish it would itch going away that quick!!!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Mine is the "roll" above my butt that looks and feels like a subcutaneous inner tube resting at the top of my a** crack. VERY disgusting. If I lean against a wall or lay on in bed in just the wrong position, it feels tender and sore like a giant bruise. It's been that way for as long as I can remember.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Thanks for teaching me the word "subcutaneous." Unfortunately, since I don't have your same problem, it'll probably take me a while to work into conversation....
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Mine is the fat pocket on the inside of my knees:noway:

I always have to be different, huh?:laugh:

When I get going on the ellip or treadmill, it will itch like crazy! I just picture the fat desolving and leaving my body. Makes me feel better...........but no less itchy:tongue:
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    yes, now that you mention it!! the strangest was sharp pains and almost an alien spasm under the skin a few inches. i had two episodes about 4 min apart and then gone. i was worried it was appendicitus but it started and stopped so quickly i didn't google. other itchiness like you mention and stuff too. always passes and i forget :-) it makes sense to me, our bodies are alive and i do believe strongly in mind-body connection esp in healing and emotions and change.
  • Not for sure if this is what it is. But I also had the same problem a few years back. I came to the conclusion that my body
    through extensive exercise was detoxing a lot of toxins that had built up in my system. I did a complete body detox for 5 days and
    afterwards no more sharp shooting pains, burning, and the dreaded itch.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Just a guess but maybe it's the extra skin trying to shrink?
  • mfpseven
    mfpseven Posts: 421 Member
    I rarely get itchy belly but when I run or walk at a fast pace(especially in the cold) my thighs itch like crazy, I don't ever remember it being different
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Just a guess but maybe it's the extra skin trying to shrink?

More likely healing, but yeah, that's what my first thought was. I burn myself all the time at work, and they always itch as they heal. And stretch marks are scar tissue, so maybe as there's less fat under them to keep them stretched, maybe the tissue underneath them is getting to heal back together?