Anyone With Hypothyroidism ???

Options
Anyone out there with hypothyroidism? What has worked for you to help with weightloss? I was recently diagnosed with it and have recently started with the hormone therapy to get my thyroid levels into the normal range. Anyone with some insight, I would greatly appreciate to hear what's working for you! :)

Replies

• Emily_34
    Emily_34 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi I was diagnosed in January and they started me on medication the next day. I had tried to lose weight last year and nothing was working, i didn't know I had that problem. Once the medication started working and I actually tried to lose weight, it worked. I take synthroid 100mcg. I lost 5 pounds without even trying and then when i started mfp on aug 17, I've actually lost 15 since then.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Hypothyroidism has not affected my weight loss. I've been hypo for 11 years. I gained 40lb and lost 35 all while being medicated properly and keeping within a normal range for T3, T4 and TSH. As much as the thyroid can pose a problem, it's likely lifestyle choice at play when it comes to difficulty losing weight. Good luck to you. You can definitely manage this.
  • maryann73
    maryann73 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I have had it for years. The meds help, but MFP is the best way for me to lose. When I stop MFP, I gain it right back!
  • rnavarra
    Options
    Have had it for about 7 or 8 years now. Make sure to keep up with your meds and check ups. You will seriously have to do consistent exercise and calorie count to keep your weight under control. I haven't been doing this and now I'm trying to lose alot instead of being smart in the beginning. You will probably gain weight very easily but it will seem to take alot of effort to lose it if your metabolism is like mine. So be smart and consistent. Exercise is going to be important to keeping your metabolism up though so find out what you like to do even if it is as simple as walking and make an effort to do it several times a week. Hope this helps and good luck.
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Me Me!!! I have had it for 8 years now. Best thing to stay on top of your meds and get your levels checked on a regular basis. As long as those are in check, you should be good to go on your weight loss. Definitely stay on top of your calories and workouts!! Good luck!!
  • ehunte
    ehunte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyrodism more than 25 yrs ago. One of the great drawbacks is that it takes more effort to lose weight, but that is not stopping me on my quest to be healthy. I plug on and I take one day at a time - watching what I eat and getting my exercise in! Good luck on your quest for health!!
  • emh15022
    emh15022 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I was diagnosed about two weeks ago, and was started on Levothroid. I go back in November to check the TSH levels and see how I'm doing on the current dose. I've had such a hard time losing weight the past year, even with working out and eating healthly the weight was not coming off and so discouraging! I hope now to see some progress. How are you feeling now on the medication compared to when you were off?
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I have been dealing with it for five years. I do take a daily medication. I tried everything to just stop gaining weight and nothing worked. The doctors really were no help. I found this site Sept 1 and have lost 9 pounds. Good Luck
  • emh15022
    Options
    Thanks! You too!
  • laurakaylene
    laurakaylene Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes, I also have hypothyroidism and take Synthroid and Levoxyl. The medications will definitely help you feel better.
    My naturopath also recommended I avoid raw cruciferous veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, etc) and limit the amount of soy products, as both of these can block thyroid function.
  • keigyarto
    keigyarto Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    After I was diagnosed I gained a lot of weight while the docs were trying to figure out the correct dose to put me one. I have been on a consistent dose now and have noticed that when I take it like I'm supposed to, and I monitor what I'm eating and my exercise I can lose weight. It may be a little harder for you, but it won't be impossible.
  • emh15022
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing! It's really a huge comfort to know that with the meds and monitoring what I eat along with exercise I will be able to lose this weight! Good luck to you all!
  • larsfromars
    larsfromars Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I was diagnosed last year. Took a little while to get the right dose to get my Thyroid readings in the normal range.
    In January I made a life change with the help of my doctor. I've lost 68 lbs in 240 days. ....( singe best thing I've ever done).

Here is how:

2000 or less calories a day
    50 to 65 carbs per meal(3 meals)
    10 carb or less snacks if u get hungry between meals
    25g+ fiber per day
    6 to 8 cups of water
    1 hour 40 minutes exercise per week. 50% cardio 50% weights.
  • smmorneau
    smmorneau Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I was diagnosed in July and was put on 100 mcg of Levothyroxine. What a HUGE difference in my energy levels!! Went back for a check up and doc said levels were good but thought there was room for improvement and upped it to 110 mcg. Finally felt like exercising regulary and have already started losing. It feels so good to be able to work out without getting fatigued so easily. Have been working out regularly for about a month and didn't notice the scale moving downward until I incorporated running. It's not my favorite, but it gets the job done. Hope things work out as good for you. Good Luck!
  • greenie
    greenie Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have found I have been able to eat normally and not gain weight as easily. I have still found losing to be challenging. I hope some of your other symptoms are improving, as mine did with medication!
  • aimeelouwhite
    aimeelouwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed nearly 5 years ago.... had immense tiredness, fuzzy brain and no motivation. As soon as I started on meds quite a lot of weight dropped off. I've finally been stable for about 18 months but am taking Whole Thyroid which is a T3/T4 mix. I did okay bloods wise on syntetic but felt crap.... remember to get an idea of what levels are RIGHT FOR YOU... I've found that I run particularly low on T4 but that is fine for me. Record how you feel compared to your blood results for a few years and you will see what I mean!
  • kgraham101
    kgraham101 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Once your hormone levels are right you should be able to lose weight with diet and exercise. I just got my synthroid upped to 100 mcg 2 weeks ago and have already lost 4 lbs.