In desperate need...

Options
Ok, so I've been on MFP for a few months now. Started out eating 1200 calories, learned from my mistakes, learned to eat a little more and eat some of my burned exercise calories back. Learned not to be so hard on myself, to drink water lots of water and more if I had too much sodium in my system. Learned it was ok to indulge every so often, as long as I did't go too far. Learned to eat smarter. Learned that I NEEDED to eat more on days I went to martial arts.

When I weighed myself yesterday, i was 206. This morning, I was 210.

I don't know what's going on. I know that it can take a body some time to adjust, I understand that weight can fluctuate. I know that incoming TOM can mess things up. But it's been a few months now. What I don't understand is why, with all the effort I've been doing, can I not seem to make any progress.

I just don't get it.

I don't know...I don't mean to whine or anything, I'm just getting very frustrated. I have no intention of quitting or giving up, I guess I'm just hoping for some encouragement. ><

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself every day. Women's weight can fluctuate quite a bit throughout the month on a daily basis. Just stick to it and weigh every week instead.
  • aurorasangel2000
    Options
    Stick to the once a week or so. I tried waiting once every month, then got too excited, lol. But, if it makes you feel any better, I weighed myself sometime last week and weighed in at around 203 pounds. I weighed myself the next morning and weighed 201 or so... Weight does fluctuate too much to do every day, and, not to sound gross, but, if you're on your monthly, don't even worry about weighing yourself. Women usually retain water, and my scale tried to tell me I had gained like 5 pounds during that time!!! After it was over, that 5 pounds was gone too :-) Stick to doing your calories, or a little under, and the exercise and you should be fine :-) If you feel it's not working as well as you would like, try changing your workout routine. Best of luck to you!
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I agree...weigh once a week, same day/same time. Maybe you are adding muscle?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Read the Success Stories on here. If they can do it, so can you. You really can.
  • hazelmae123
    hazelmae123 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Use more than one type of measurement to guage your success...ie weight, measurements, clothing, overall how you feel. Also weight can fluctuate a lot especially in women. So long term changes are what to look for. Also, always remember muscle weighs more than fat, so as muscle increases you can gain in the beginning before the added muscle starts to burn off more fat. It is temporary so don't be so hard on yourself. Long term it WILL make a big difference.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, you have to find the motivation from somewhere besides the scale. It's tough but worth it. Don't give up!
  • sideburns4life
    sideburns4life Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Did you poop yet today?
  • AmberXenon
    AmberXenon Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    It's just really really hard to see that number not move. Yes, my clothes do fit better, so that helps a lot. I've tried to curtail my self- weighing to every 2 days, but it's so hard NOT to step on the scale every morning before my shower. ><
  • AmberXenon
    Options
    Did you poop yet today?

I'm not sure how to answer this. lol
  • Lucylaser
    Lucylaser Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Did you poop yet today?

Come on, you know girls don't poop!
  • mslh84
    mslh84 Posts: 180
    Options
    Did you poop yet today?

I'm not sure how to answer this. lol

I know it sounds like an ODD question, but having that bowel movement can make a difference...if you weigh yourself before one, you might weigh in a bit more. No more than .50-1 lb though...sounds crazy but true.
  • AmberXenon
    Options
    I read a lot of the success stories...in fact, a couple of my good friends are on MFP and have seen fantastic results! I know that everyone is different, but I would love for once for something I really really want to do to work out well for me. :p

I have no intention of giving up...I'm in this for the long haul, here!
  • mslh84
    mslh84 Posts: 180
    Options
    I read a lot of the success stories...in fact, a couple of my good friends are on MFP and have seen fantastic results! I know that everyone is different, but I would love for once for something I really really want to do to work out well for me. :p

I have no intention of giving up...I'm in this for the long haul, here!

If you want it bad enough, it will work for you...just have to find the right thing that caters to you! Keep up the willpower!
  • AmberXenon
    Options
    I went to my friend's house tonight, and pretty much from the moment I got there, my friend was needling me. He was just trying to be funny, but eventually it got to the point that I burst completely into tears.

Between my job, my diet, and my everyday family stress, I just couldn't take it anymore.

When I was talking it out, my other friend told me I was obsessing about my diet. The problem is, I don't know whether I am or not. >< She's concerned that I'm going to end up with an eating disorder.

*looks at diary*

I don't think there's a danger there.