Slower runners (11-13 min milers) wanted as pals :)

Options
Hi,

anyone who is a runner but not as fast as some, but working on getting faster, want to buddy up on here ? :smile: We can encourage each other to help improve times, speed etc.

I have been plodding for about a year, have had a three month break from it but trying to get back into running, and dietitng too.

Please add me if you are in same sort of speed. xxx

Replies

• PatientBearTiger
    Options
    I'm a beginner at running too, but my pace is a little faster than what you are looking for. I have a question for you though: why do you only want friends who run at your same speed? Seems to me that if someone is faster, they would have more to teach you. Just a thought. Good luck.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I'm comfortable at a 12 minute mile right now. I'm rehabbing from an injury and hope to get back to 9 minutes someday, but my short little legs are not making it easy.
  • scubaangel
    scubaangel Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi Debbie, I'm running at slightly faster paces on short runs (1-1.5 miles) but only just venturing in to longer routes so expecting my pace to slow right down when I do.
  • alirae75
    Options
    I'm at a 12 minute mile pace right now. However I'm doing intervals at the moment with running & walking.
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    great idea! I'm so slow! I'm going to go ahead and finish c25k at my own pace and then start to work on my speed
  • dietingdebbie
    dietingdebbie Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm a beginner at running too, but my pace is a little faster than what you are looking for. I have a question for you though: why do you only want friends who run at your same speed? Seems to me that if someone is faster, they would have more to teach you. Just a thought. Good luck.

Hi

thanks for your post, appreciate that having friends too which are faster is also good...but at moment prefer to have people about the same pace. I personally am feeling very demoralised with my current pace as realise it is quite slow. I am in a running club, get left behind, always come in last at races etc and feel such a plodder :blushing: even though try my hardest. Be nice to talk to people who are on same footing as I am. xxx
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I started trying to learn to run last summer using a variation of C25K. Ran first 5k in April (12 mm) & my first 10k last weekend (13 mm). No more races at the moment but would like to get up to a 10 mm, so here's my schedule:

Sundays: distance run, however far I feel like going at an easy pace (4-6 mi)
    Tuesdays: interval run - I'm using C25K for this. Last Tues I did Week 1 Day 1 on the treadmill & during the walking portions I ran at my 13 mm pace. For the intervals I kicked it up to 10 mm. It actually went pretty well.
    Thursdays: tempo run - I haven't quite figured out the pace I'm supposed to be running this at so I'm just doing 30 min: 10 min at easy pace, 10 min at "comfortably hard" pace, 10 min back at easy pace. Going to keep that structure for a few weeks to see how it goes, then will start increasing the duration for the comfortably hard pace.
  • Shirlann46
    Shirlann46 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm not RUNNING. I'm walking and right now very slow. I had to take the Summer off due to heat. I have COPD so the Weather is a factor as to how much I can do. I'm doing a mile in 24 mins. on my Dreadmill. I will do better outside once the air is cool. So if anybody is like me and needs a BUDDY-I'm here.
    Good Luck all the Runners out there.
  • Nurse_krissy
    Nurse_krissy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    ME! ME! ME!!!!! I run about a 12 min mile while I'm baby-ing my knee! I used to be 9-10 min/mile, but then my knee bummed out! :( I'm trying to slowly work back up (or down?) to that time!
  • dietingdebbie
    dietingdebbie Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi, its great to meet you all. We will have to keep this post going for us slower runners :smile: xx
  • KnottyNCrotchety
    Options
    I am not sure I qualify! LOL! I run REALLY slow....15 minute miles on average. I get passed by little old ladies walking their dogs.
  • allyfry
    allyfry Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I once got passed during a race by a walker...on a downhill stretch. lol. My fast pace is a 10 min mile. My easy pace is a 12 min mile. I've been wanting for years to get into single digits but long slow runs are better stress relievers for me. There is nothing wrong with being a slowsky! We're still moving and that counts!
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    You got that right allyfry! During my 10k last weekend I got passed by a whole bunch of white-haired ladies. I was like, "wow, go girl!!!"
  • dream_litotes
    Options
    I like to run slowly too! I far prefer running further and slower than shorter and faster, and I don't really have any plans to work much on my speed. Today's run (although mixed with walking - I live around some killer hills!) my speed was about 4.7mph, so nearly 13 minutes per mile. I'm also pretty out of shape after moving and starting at a new university and stuff (no that I was ever that well in shape in the first place) so I'll have to be really stubborn to get back into it at all.
  • auburngirl06
    auburngirl06 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm averaging 11:50 minute miles lately. I have my first 10k coming up on the 22nd and I've been really nervous about being the slowest one out there. I've run several 5k's at 10 minute miles, but I am not able to keep that pace for the 10k. I'm also freaked out that I'm going to start off too fast and try to 'keep up' and then end up having to walk. Ahhh. so much to worry about. Just know you are not alone!