Slim Fast?

Options
Has anyone tried the Slim Fast diet? Did it work? I'm mainly thinking about the canned drinks. I'm vegetarian and used to drink them for the protien but I'm thinking now about actually trying the Slim Fast diet with the drinks. Anyone had any experiece with Slim Fast?

Replies

• tikikris
    tikikris Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It worked for me back in the mid-80s, but I can't drink them anymore -- lactose intolerant.
  • KateBarnhart85
    KateBarnhart85 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I never did the diet... I just like the taste of the Chocolate ones LOL oh and the chocolate chip cookie dough optima bars are sooooooooooo good!!! lol I used to work at a gas station and that would be my breakfast most day... and then a bag of flamming hot cheetos and nacho cheese was my lunch!!! ...hence why I now need mfp!!! lol
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    IMHO, sure-- they can help as a supplement. But seriously, if Slim Fast really worked, wouldn't everyone be skinny by now? :)
  • Skeith5
    Skeith5 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    There's a lot healthier things you can put into your body than slim fast. Most of the diet drinks are loaded with sugar and chemicals, is it worth it? The only one I drink on occasion is the Atkins shakes with low sugar.

Scott
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I planned on doing it, and lasted a day! lol I prefer just drinking one for breakfast and having a normal lunch and dinner.
  • cherrydietcoke1
    Options
    I drink it, it works for me, be prepared to get a lot of grief on here for it- hence why my diary is private. Good luck ;o)
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Been there done that. It makes you lose weight, but it never taught me much about food and portions.

Since tracking my food and measuring portions I'm learning what a true serving of darn near anything looks like. I think this knowledge will be very helpful in the long run. I want to eat real food most of the time, it's much more satisfying and enjoyable. :)

Slim Fast is very convenient though for an on the go, quick grab meal-substitute if nothing else can be made. But that's all it is, a substitute for a meal.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Processed trash. Try making your own smoothies.
  • aramintio
    aramintio Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love the chocolate and strawberry ones but tend to have them if I'm being lazy and cba to cook!
  • tiggerzshorty
    Options
    I drink the strawberry ones when I know my dinner is going to be big. I want to try GNC Lean powders. But my blender broke so i'm waiting.
  • Beanie26
    Options
    I did the slim fast diet once, yes it worked, yes once it stopped all the weight went back on no problem!! :sad: x
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    first i would recommend that you learn how to prepare nutriious meals on your own, take the time to lean how to make it fresh with lean meats,less fat and low salt....(the slim fast program does not teach you how to do that they just assume you already know what a sensable meal is)..then if your ever in a hurry and have to have something on the go then i would say yes its a good choice on the go with a piece of fruit or two but i would never recommend it long term simply because of the sugar content.

other than that good luck and learn how to EAT your meals not DRINK them.
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I did it for 4 months and lost 20 pounds. I did a shake and a 100 calorie yogurt for breakfast, a meal bar and usually pretzels (100 calories) for lunch, a 500 calorie dinner and then two or three 100 calorie snacks during the day. It taught me to look at serving sizes and about how many calories I should aim for at every meal. I also drank a lot of water and worked out. I'm a fan of SlimFast, but I'll tell you, it's cheaper to buy the canisters and mix them yourself rather than getting the canned shakes.
  • 3ur3ka
    3ur3ka Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    first i would recommend that you learn how to prepare nutriious meals on your own, take the time to lean how to make it fresh with lean meats,less fat and low salt....(the slim fast program does not teach you how to do that they just assume you already know what a sensable meal is)..then if your ever in a hurry and have to have something on the go then i would say yes its a good choice on the go with a piece of fruit or two but i would never recommend it long term simply because of the sugar content.

other than that good luck and learn how to EAT your meals not DRINK them.

Have you been to the Slim Fast website lately? If not, you should check it out. It is a lot more informative than people think. If someone is serious about losing the weight and keeping it off, they'll learn.

I think Slim Fast can be a valuable tool. Sure it has more sugar in it than I'd like.. but it beats chowin' down on a Twinkie. I agree with whoever said to get the powder though! It is only 6-7 bucks at walmart and you get way more than the premixed cans. The chocolate is pretty yumtastic in coffee.
  • mslh84
    mslh84 Posts: 180
    Options
    I did it, but I made modifications...like I ate the 500 calorie meal, and drank 2 of the shakes, but I also still ate the 2 snacks, and if I felt hungry I still ate 200-300 portions (very small), and it worked for me, but I decided I didn't want to waste my money on that anymore.
  • mandy_godfree
    mandy_godfree Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I always have some slim fast in the fridge but I only use it for lunch when I'm at work. I work shifts and move around different buildings alot and it's just more convenient than forgetting which fridge you left your lunch in. I don't use them on my days off and I always make sure I have a proper meal to compensate. I don't want to lose weight too quickly because it will only go back on quicker if I do.

Mandy