BMI and Muscle Gain??

Options
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if there is any use to the BMI indexing if you are weight training. I am 180cm and 105kg and that puts me in the obese range, but I am a comfortable size 16 and I know I will be a bony scarecrow if I aim for the middle of normal range (about 75kg for my height). I have been there before and size 10 - 12 is just way too small for me...

Any thoughts?

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I was just wondering if there is any use to the BMI indexing if you are weight training. I am 180cm and 105kg and that puts me in the obese range, but I am a comfortable size 16 and I know I will be a bony scarecrow if I aim for the middle of normal range (about 75kg for my height). I have been there before and size 10 - 12 is just way too small for me...

Any thoughts?

bump
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    muscle is more dense then fat, incidently making you weigh more at a smaller size. If its truly muscle keeping you in obese vs normal then I would get a body fat test done at work with a nutritionist on a goal body fat percentage vs BMI
  • gmann1973
    gmann1973 Posts: 247
    Options
    I dnt think so it says Im obese and and my abs are starting 2 show
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I wouldnt follow BMI.. worthless scale
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    BMI is not a good tool for bodybuilding, period. I would entirely disregard it.

Bodyfat% will be a much more accurate indicator of body composition.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options

Any thoughts?

90% of people that are overweight vastly overestimate the amount muscle they have, FYI.
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    BMI is useless. According to BMI, I'm supposedly 5 lb away from being overweight lol (yeah right)
  • prettytothinkso
    Options
    I've never liked the BMI because it doesn't account for big boned individuals. I mean I know that some people say they're big boned when they're just heavy, but I seriously have a large frame - I'm a big boned Samoan gal. My BMI says I am obese and yeah, I'm overweight, but it's not as bad as what they're stating. Plus their healthy range would render me skeletal.

I also weight train and that just makes it worse, so no. No, no, no.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what you're doing, IMO BMI is junk. Like someone else said, check body fat %. BMI is an interesting stat, but there are other things you can follow that are more helpful.
  • ladiluvbug83
    ladiluvbug83 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    BMI is extremely overrated. It says Im suppose to weigh 150 to be healthy. Which my Orthopedic doctor told me is extremely to small for my frame. Because like said before it does not count for bone structure. I will agree that body fat % is the best way to go. Your gym should be able to provide this for you if you have one. Good Luck.
  • Dancergrrl87
    Options
    The BMI tool on most fitness and dieting websites don't account for measurements, height, and the like. The one that I use, that's so far been the most accurate, is this:
    http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy

Hope it helps!
  • Littlemouse1973
    Littlemouse1973 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That body fat thing looks much more detailed (taking measurements into account seems far more sensible to me). Will check with my gym to see if they do body fat analysis too..