Running in ice and snow

Options
Hello fellow runners...

I recently jumped into this world of running after moving from the Texas heat and humidity to Canada. This past summer was fantastic and I completed in my first half marathon. Winter will soon be upon us and I'm not sure how to handle running in the cold, snow, and ice. I'm looking for suggestions for clothing and shoes (or shoe accessories). I'm terrified I will fall and injure myself - trust me, if anyone will fall and hurt themselves, it will be me. Any advice is welcomed. I've looked at various websites and tend to get overwhelmed by all the is available - and of course every website I go to has the "best product for running on snow and ice". I'm also looking at another half marathon in November. Up here, that could include ice patches and snow - or it could be clear and sunny... I just wanted to be prepared.

Thanks!

Replies

• barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i live in northenish Wisconsin, and I have not really ran in the snow too much...
    if this is your 1st winter up north, good luck to you... LMAO. hahah It will get ridiculously freezing outside.

I would get a gym membership persoanlly, but you could invest in underarmor stuff. I'm not really sure. I don't run outside too much in the winter. I stick to the indoor track :p
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I am getting these this winter
    http://www.yaktrax.com/pro

they go over any kind of running shoe.

Wear layers!
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Here in Calgary that could also mean a little of both all in the same run. I also live in Calgary and to be honest I would go run in a gym durning the winter. The weather here warms up and freezes so much that ice is always around. I am not much help with the gear to get here, but the weather is always unpredictable...
  • kassandra81
    Options
    Not too sure where in Canada you are, but I wouldn't dare consider going running in the winter here in Ottawa. It can get very cold, icy, and with all the snow, sometimes the sidewalks are poorly done, and it's hard to walk on the sidewalks, let alone run.

Get a gym membership, that's my thought.

Also, no idea what kind of running shoe would be ok to wear in the winter without freezing your foot off.
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I really love running outside in the winter. I'm a naturally warm bodied person, so take that into consideration. First off, get some Yak Tracks - they're awesome on snow, but they are difficult to maneuver when not on snow, so make sure your path is nearly all snow. I bought an excellent pair of running tights from Title Nine, but I know Athleta.com carries a great pair too. I wear smart wool running socks too - they're great. Then, sports bra, tank, Bula wicking long sleeve zip, topped with a light jacket. I also always wear light cross-country ski gloves and a wool hat. I hope that helps! Try it - it's SO refreshing.

Also, if you're training for a half marathon thru the winter, I wouldn't recommend just training indoors, you really need to be hitting the pavement, so to speak. Good Luck!
  • carrie564
    carrie564 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Wisconsin & now live in Atlanta. I don't know about other people, but I know that I CANNOT run when it's freezing outside. Even here in Atlanta, I try running year round, but if it's frost on the ground in the morning it RIPS UP my LUNGS. I can't do it in those temps. I usually run 3 miles at a time, 3 times a week or so. Under Armor brand usually covers you when it's around 40* out, which can still be quite pleasant for longer distance runs, but I wouldn't even plan on doing long distance outdoors when it's below freezing. Get a gym membership, or see if you have a local college indoor track to use. Good luck!
  • KiteGirl83
    Options
    I didn't want a gym membership, but I did just get one. I run outside every day that it's sunny and nice (and will even if it stays cold) but then hit the gym when it's snowy/rainy/icy. That way I don't have an excuse.

Also, cross training in the winter is great. I'm going to work on my swimming for a triathlon!

:)

Other than that- I would get superwool socks, hats, mittens. I like wool better than fleece.
  • RunningAggie
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This will be my 3rd winter here. The first winter was wonderful! The white fluffy stuff that fell was beautiful. I was a stay at home mom and did not have to get out if I didn't want to. Last winter I did have to get out - even if it was -30 outside!! I'm in grad school and evidently you don't get snow days in Canada. I know I wouldn't run outside when it was really bad, but I often see people running around the neighborhood. I don't know how they do it without falling. I get bored running inside, but I guess I'll have to get over that. I would at least like to try to run outside in the winter...
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I really love running outside in the winter. I'm a naturally warm bodied person, so take that into consideration. First off, get some Yak Tracks - they're awesome on snow, but they are difficult to maneuver when not on snow, so make sure your path is nearly all snow. I bought an excellent pair of running tights from Title Nine, but I know Athleta.com carries a great pair too. I wear smart wool running socks too - they're great. Then, sports bra, tank, Bula wicking long sleeve zip, topped with a light jacket. I also always wear light cross-country ski gloves and a wool hat. I hope that helps! Try it - it's SO refreshing.

Also, if you're training for a half marathon thru the winter, I wouldn't recommend just training indoors, you really need to be hitting the pavement, so to speak. Good Luck!
    Thanks for this, I've been looking at some races to sign up for this winter but I've never run outdoors in the cold so this is exactly the information I was looking for. It's already starting to chill here in MN so I know winter is around the corner! I've decided I'll start shopping for coldgear like what you described & just try a few outdoors runs to see how it goes.
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    As a new runner I'm hoping I can remain motivated during the cold months and I hope to run in wind, rain and chilly weather (and have bought the kit for it). But once it gets icy, I'm moving indoors! No sense in slipping.

I'm hoping P90X Plyometrics, RPM and (eventually!) Insanity, will keep me up to speed while I'm locked away for the winter months.
  • mrslaw85
    mrslaw85 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I agree with the yak track vote. They are awesome. Do NOT buy the cheap imitation ones though!