Discouraged....

Options
Ok Friends...I could use some help!!! I stuck to my calories last week, often coming in under my calorie count. I walked a couple days, but with rain and one sick child, I did not get as much walking in as I had planned. However, I still stuck to the calorie goal!!!! So why, why, did I only lose .9 pounds????!!!! I find it extremely discouraging. Any thoughts??? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    .9lb is really good! And it count's twice because you didn't gain it. That's 2lbs! Go You!!!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself! I think .9 of a pound of loss is GREAT! For all intents and purposes, it's a pound - and a pound is a perfect and healthy rate to lose weight. Good for you!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    That is almost a pound. That is good. You want to lose 1-2 pounds a week.
  • Karen_145
    Options
    If you came in way under your calorie goal that might be the problem. The body tends to hold onto your weight more (particularly in women) if it thinks it's starving. I wouldn't freak out over .9 lb loss though. It is still a loss! As long as you keep going down I wouldn't worry too much, even if it isn't as fast as you'd like.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Given that you only have 6 pounds left to lose, you're going to lose much more slowly than others. You body is probably comfortable right where it is and that makes it harder to lose a little extra. 0.9 pounds is actually a fantastic number for someone in your situation.
  • Partyofpugs
    Options
    .9 off is.9 better off than you were last week. Every week is not going to be a standout week. But slow and steady is the healthy way to lose the weight. You are doing great! Stay with your calorie goals, exercise when you can and pay attention to other cues that you are losing weight. How do you feel, are your clothes fitting better, etc. So many things factor into our weight and so it fluctuates all the time. Weighing once a week is necessary for your overall progress report, but it's not the only thing. Think of a pound of weight as a pound of butter. You lost 2-3 sticks last week. Realistically that is not doing too shabby! Keep up the good work.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Time for a perspective change. You lost nearly a pound in a week. That's awesome.
  • CallieDerenthal
    CallieDerenthal Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    i'm right there with ya! i stayed within my calorie limits and should have lost 1.5 pounds and only lost 0.1 this week... however, past experience tells me that i'll probably make up for it in a week or two by losing a little more than i should (i lost 1.9 pounds the last two weeks instead of 1.5 so i'm already a little ahead of schedule). try not to get too discouraged. i know it's hard when you work really hard for something expecting to see certain results and you don't... but keep at it, the weight WILL come off! :smile:
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Also, our bodies dont really understand weekly weigh ins.

Sometimes i lose nothing for 6 days, then 2lbs in 2 days. Then nothing for 8 days, then 2 in 3 days, then nothing for a day, then 2lb in the next 4....
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    If your ticker is anything to go by, you only have a little to lose. Weight will come off perhaps a little slower than for someone with a lot to lose. Don't be discouraged. A pound is actually a very respectable loss.
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Why discouraged with a loss? Its better to lose slowly. Congrats on your loss!
  • mommyffrog
    mommyffrog Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love the way you look at it...so positive! Thanks!!
  • mommyffrog
    mommyffrog Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You guys also made me realize that my ticker was set with a mini goal...I reset to show my big goal. Thanks!

This is just the beginning of my journey and I'm so glad that I'm doing it with the support of people on this website. Just reading your responses made me take a step back and realize that yes...even if I don't lose for a week, but I'm eating healthy and exercising...that it's a step in the right direction!!! Thank you for all your positive comments and support!!!
  • friendtotortoise
    friendtotortoise Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Well, by the time I saw your discouraged note I see you are already feeling encouraged again. Yeah! I particularly like the image of how many cubes of butter is lost when it seems it is "just" a half pound or a pound or so. Even a quarter pound is quite a bit of extra mushiness! Plus you've said you're feeling it in your clothes - I know you've heard a million times that muscle weighs more than fat, even though it takes up less space - and since you're getting back into an exercise routine (I use the "routine" word loosely when it has to be worked around ever changing needs in a big family!) that can also be a factor. It's mathematical though: You continue burning more calories than you take in, the fat WILL burn away. Don't make it harder on yourself, like someone said earlier though, by underdoing calories and putting yourself in starvation mode. Only get your 'under" marks by exercise.
  • choconuts
    choconuts Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I would be thrilled to lose .9 of a pound.

Slow and steady wins this particular race.
  • ninkdole
    ninkdole Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Time for a perspective change. You lost nearly a pound in a week. That's awesome.

Agreed. You lost the equivalent of a package of butter. I'd say that's pretty good. Congrats.
  • VegasKC
    VegasKC Posts: 17
    Options
    Even though you were doing everything right - could some of what you ate caused you to retain water? Or too much bulk? You might see a bigger loss next week. Hang in there.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    A pound a week is great. As people always point out, you didn't gain all that weight overnight, it';s not gonna come off overnight. Besides, most people vary a couple pounds from day to day.
  • kjannan
    kjannan Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Any loss is better than a gain!!

Don't be discouraged, keep it up, you're doing well by sticking to your healthy eating! :wink:
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I think that .9 is fantastic!!! Cheers to you!!!!

D