I need help with a power breakfast

Options
What do you all eat for breakfast? I get hungry a few hours after breakfast and want to find something that will help me hold out longer.

My normal meal is frosted shredded wheat with skim milk.

Replies

• mkeers
    Options
    What do you all eat for breakfast? I get hungry a few hours after breakfast and want to find something that will help me hold out longer.

My normal meal is frosted shredded wheat with skim milk.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I usually eat every three hours, but when I need a longer lasting breakfast I have:

a cup of blueberries (frozen are fine, but fresh are divine)
    a cup of plain yogurt (nonfat works)
    14 walnut halves, chopped
    and about a tsp. of honey.

It's higher in calories than what you mentioned, which is what I'm after if I can't have my mid-am snack. I'm not a real "breakfast food" (I don't like eggs) eater, so this is really good.

Also good is:
    2 frozen waffles (multigrain)
    with on each one:
    1/4 cup nonfat cottage cheese
    and 1 tsp of "all fruit" type jelly or jam.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I love either:

Trader Joes Apple/Cranberry Bran Muffin with yogurt or a banana (the muffins have 13 g of fiber in them!! Which keeps you full)

or

2 lite nutrigrain waffles with sugar free syrup and sliced strawberries

or

Trader Joes Cinnamon Crumpet with strawberries or yogurt

Depending what mood I am in.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal and a banana here, sometimes I add some yogurt.

I also usually eat an apple around 10:30 or so. It keeps me going
    until lunch at 12:30
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I usually eat oatmeal with blueberries and soymilk and sometimes I throw in an egg.

But - I'm always hungry 3 hours after breakfast and I plan on eating then. I don't think there's any breakfast I could eat (besides a really unhealthy one) that would fill me up for more than 3 hours.
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I start with a banana around 7am then around 9am I eat oatmeal with raspberries.
    This holds me off until about 10 and then I have an apple with 30g of light cheese.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with 1 to 2 eggwhites. Or 1 full egg does the trick for me.
    --Diann...
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Usually I have a half a serving of kashi cereal because I am not really hungry. But today I had to eat breakfast a little later and I made myself a huge egg white omelet with tomato and lite cheese inside with grilled eggplant and peppers and on the side I had a 3/4 a slice of lite wheat bread and half a slice of turkey bacon. I would have had more of the last 2 but my daughters both decided they really like the bacon and wheat bread so I gave them most of mine. Any way I am ridicuously full for less than 250 calories. Good luck
  • dhayes
    dhayes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup of Oatmeal with 2 tablespoons of unprocessed bran added plus dried fruit (raisins and or blueberries, sometimes pineapple )and 2 teaspoons of maple syrup. 1 cup of 2% milk. Will last 3-4 hours.

Yesterday i knew that I would not be able to eat until at least 1 pm so I added a slice of multigrain toast with peanut butter and I was full until we broke for lunch.
  • becca51
    Options
    1/2 cup of oatmeal with 2 tbsp of natural peanut butter. Keeps me going from 8am to about 2pm
  • jpketz
    jpketz Posts: 73
    Options
    My favorite power breakfast is a Ninja Smoothie (working title, but pretty cool, don't you think?)

It consists of:

1 banana
    1 scoop protein powder of your choice (I prefer Soy based, vanilla flavored)
    1 cup Almond Milk, unsweetened, vanilla flavor (adjust amount for thickness)
    1 cup frozen berries (organic preferred)
    1 cup raw oatmeal (quick or slow, just let the blender run longer for the slow cook kind)
    Vitamin supplement like EmergenC
    I tbsp flax oil or meal.

That's the basic smoothie. Sometimes I'll sub orange juice for the Almond Milk, or add low fat yogurt, even a tbsp. of peanut butter to add some fat. It needs no added sugar, the berries take care of that. It's a little "carby" so not for Atkins types, but if you're at all active, it's a great way to get your protein, fiber and other micronutrients, antioxidants, Omega 3's all at once. You can also sub soy or regular milk for Almond milk.

I haven't run the numbers on it yet but I'm sure it's around 500-600 calories, easy, But talk about satisfying. It's my post-workout, glycogen replacement or even a midday meal and the protein gives it some sticking power.
  • SheIsVirgo
    Options
    oops
  • SheIsVirgo
    Options
    Breakfast:smile:
    1 Promise Activ (Cholesterol Shot)
    1 Dannon all natural yogurt--they come in 4-pack
    1 serving bran flakes with 2% milk
    1 cup coffee black, no sugar

snack :smile:

1 banana

lunch usually a prepared Healthy Choice meal
    lettuce & tomato no dressing

:smile:
  • sundaygirl85
    Options
    Oatmeal! If I ever eat anything else like cereal for a change, I'm starving by 10.30 -11! I throw some berries in there too as they are high in fibre and so keep you feeling full (blueberries are especially good).
  • mkeers
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I found a recipie for oatmeal overnight, so i think im going to try that. come on making breakfast while you sleep, amazing!
  • Clara
    Clara Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal for me! Simple and keeps me satisfied till lunch! I add cinnamon and fruit! :flowerforyou:
  • rhondababy
    Options
    1/2 cup of oatmeal with 2 tbsp of natural peanut butter. Keeps me going from 8am to about 2pm

I'm intrigued- being both a peanut butter lover, and an oatmeal eater- do you mix them? if, so do you have milk on it?
  • tiangelah
    Options
    banana at 7 am before the gym M-F, Smart Start cereal and a apple after I come from the gym.

for the weekends eggs or some fruit.
  • dhayes
    dhayes Posts: 216 Member
    Options

WOW this is my new power breakfast! Had it this morning around 9 and had to remember to eat at 2 pm. Had absolutely no thoughts of food all morning. Thank you for this idea.:bigsmile:
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    This is super filling
    Take 4 pieces of reduced calorie bread and make eggwhite french toast with it. I had it this morning, it was yummy. Make sure you use cinnamon and sugar free or light syrup :)