brown rice is boring

Options
how can i spice it up without loading it down with cals?

Replies

• sarab99
    sarab99 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Add some trader joes fire roasted corn and fresh basil. Found that one in a Trader Joe's cookbook, its amazing!
  • Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I take 1 tsp. of olive oil and stir fry a bunch of veggies. Then add the rice and some reduced sodium sauce - like Kikkoman reduced sodium teriyaki. It's delicious. You could even add a little bit of scrambled egg to make veggie "fried" rice.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Easy mode: boil the rice in chicken stock.
  • V44V
    V44V Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Try beluga lentils instead.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I roast sliced summer squash and zucchini in my toaster oven (spritzed with olive oil, and a little salt + pepper), cut the slices in 4ths and add to my brown rice/bulgar wheat. Delicious.
  • scott1024
    scott1024 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I cook a pot full up and go to it during the week. I start by lightly browing it in about a tsp of canola before I add water. i also had some dehydrated garlic. Then it's made and ready to add to omlettes (I did this morning) or under poached eggs, as well as under some broiled salmon (my favorite). I feel it gives it good taste, yet leaves it versatile. And it's no extra work.
  • oneLessS
    oneLessS Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I take 1 tsp. of olive oil and stir fry a bunch of veggies. Then add the rice and some reduced sodium sauce - like Kikkoman reduced sodium teriyaki. It's delicious. You could even add a little bit of scrambled egg to make veggie "fried" rice.

YUM!
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Fresh salsa - no added sugar. It really spices it up! :wink:
  • Danahimself
    Danahimself Posts: 279 Member
    Options

I like that great reply!

Usually I just eat it like it is..."boring!"
  • CatClark
    CatClark Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would be lost without Cholula Hot Sauce ;)

Can't go wrong with roasted garlic and fresh herbs....
  • Iwillshyne
    Options
    I bake my brown rice with chicken thighs---skinless; casserole style. The chicken flavors the rice, it's really good. Sometimes I add a veggie to it:love: ...one pot deal.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Cook it plain, then toss it into a wok or large sautee pan with a small pinch of olive oil (<1 tsp.). Toss in some diced roma tomatoes, diced green peppers, 1/2 jalapeno (seeded and diced), 1 cloved chopped garlic, 1 medium diced onion, sweet corn, and old bay seasoning. You can also add fresh ground pepper and whatever other spices you like. Cook on medium heat until well mixed. Serve as a side or under some chicken or fish.

You can also add fresh cilantro, basil, etc. Go nuts.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump... already love it but always open to new ideas!