From overweight to normal weight ...and from couch to 5K to

Options
katekrise
katekrise Posts: 178 Member
I started MFP in January. I had just graduated college and I was VERY out of shape. I had a semester out of college (before starting graduate school) and I decided to use that time to get in shape once and for all!! It wasn't easy getting started. MFP was very helpful with helping me count my calories and it took the guessing work out of it. All I needed to do was put more out then I put in...simple enough. It worked great! The weight started to come off very fast.

Once I was motivated and seeing progress...I decided to start working on exercising. My best friend and I decided to to start the couch to 5K plan. It was HARD!! I couldn't imagine...at that point in time...why people said that it was fun or that it gets easier. I fought through the C25K plan. Eventually around the end of the program...it got easier! I didn't feel like my heart would burst out of my chest or that I couldn't breath anymore!! I signed up for my first 5K in June. I finished in 29:58. At that point in time...I was happy that I had reached my goal. Later on...I was running with a friend and we ran almost 6 miles together. She encouraged me to sign up for my first 10K. I didn't think I could do it, but I signed up. When I ran my 10K...it was actually easier then my 5K! Huh?! Well...after finishing that...it made me think...a half marathon is only about twice as long as a 10K. Maybe I'll start training for a half marathon....

I just completed week 8 of my 10 week training program for my half marathon. My race is in 20 days!! And you know what? I'm not worried anymore. I really enjoy running now! Today I went for a 9 mile run along lake michigan and I was surprised to see how fast it went. The scenery was beautiful, it was nice to be outside in the sun and to look at the changing leaves... And when you're done with a run like that... you feel SO GOOD! I've heard about "runners highs"...but it wasn't until I started training for my half that I started to experience them!

If I can do it...anyone can do it!!

I started out overweight and aiming for a 5K... now...I'm pretty sure I'm going to start training for a full marathon next 8-)

-Kate

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    That's AWESOME, Kate! :heart:
  • heybrit
    heybrit Posts: 140
    Options
    I'm doing the Couch to 5k program and I love it! I just got an inhaler for exercise induced asthma this week, so hopefully it will be easier on my body. I'm in week 3 and get the runners high. I can't wait until I can run a 5k. Then, like you, I hope I can train for a 10k and so on. It's amazing what my body can do now that I've given it the option. :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Congrats Kate!

I wish you all the best! :)
  • sarscott
    sarscott Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    That's really inspiring to me - thank you for sharing! I want to be able to run a 5k so badly and have started the C25K a couple times, but I get so discouraged because it seems like I'm not making any progress or getting better.

Way to go, to you, too!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    That's very similar to my story.... SO happy for you! We runners are pretty awesome people, and I welcome new runners to that group as often as I can!!!!!

Keep on running!!!! I'm thinking about a 25k next spring... after my 2nd half marathon... and maybe a full marathon next fall????
  • CoachNYLA
    CoachNYLA Posts: 129
    Options
    Great job!!! I went from 170 to size 2 (only 4'9") and then gained and lost. Mostly I found it is the relationship I am having with myself and with food. It's been a long haul but more than anything, it's not about the weight at all.

It is about the weight in my head and how I deal with people, places, things and food going through emotional changes and just emotions in general.

Food I thought was a friend where I would isolate and feel comfort. Sometimes I could control eat meaning I could eat the foods that binged on before in "normal" portions...but, until I let go of how I related to food and the motive behind what I did with food, the change did not hold.

Not many foodies can get there and stay there, so keep up the great work and changes and expect the best.

No matter how great I looked on the outside, it really had to be a result on how I feel on the inside.

Thanks so much for sharing your journey and all the best and congrats on working on your Masters!!! That is big stuff.

All my best,
    Coach Nyla
    ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer
    "Train Like You Mean It"
    www.facebook.com/coachnyla
  • geewhiz2388
    Options
    11761810.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    Great Story!
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Congrats that's awsome. I just ran my first half two weeks ago so i can understand how proud you are. I am still overweight so i still have a bit of work ahead of me. You are amzing!:flowerforyou:
  • ginabina13
    Options
    Thanks for posting your inspiring story. I'm considering the couch to 5k program myself. I've never been able to run due to knee issues, but now that I've lost weight, my knees don't seem to be as much of a problem. Good luck training for your half marathon! What a huge accomplishment to be proud of!
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Awesome time on your 5K! I'm also doing the program and finally learning to like running. I've hated it my whole life but now I crave it and am having a hard time limiting myself to doing it every other day!
  • MisScorpio
    Options
    Great story!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!