HRM question!

Options
I just bought a HRM from ****'s. It was not very expensive so I know it wasn't a top of the line one. It has a calories burned function that I used on the treadmill today. I ran for 3 miles and alternated with 1 mile of walking on a steep incline. The treadmill and MFP say I burned around 450 calories and the HRM said I burned 807?! That doesn't seem right to me but I heard HRMs are more accurate. Which one is closer to the real number? Also... I'm 5'0 and weigh 128lbs. Thanks in advance!! adrienne :)

Replies

• bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    If your HRM has a chest strap, I do go with that one..being its ON your body, I'd trust it more.
  • adamcf
    adamcf Posts: 126
    Options
    MFP doesn't calculate calories burned correctly. But you might want to check the settings in your HRM. theres a big difference in how many calories are burned for men and for women. check the setup guide for the HRM you should be able to create some kind of profile for it.
  • lackie09
    lackie09 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have the watch HRM and have yet to figure it out yet... I did about 32 min on the elliptical and it said i had only burnt like 30 cals...??? i usually keep my HR between 145 and 155 im 5'4'' and 219lbs idk whats up so i just go with what the machine says usually
  • heyyooadrienne
    heyyooadrienne Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice! it doesn't have a strap its just a watch. I will check the settings! thanks again!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    How far did you go, total? Since you "alternated", was it 8 miles? If so, 807 is probably pretty accurate. At 5'3" and 125ish pounds, I burn about 100-110 calories per mile running or walking.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Purely for the distance regardless of your HR i'd say the 807 was closer to being accurate for 8 miles. You burn around 70ish kCal to physically move a kilometre so a mile is 1.6 times that at about 112kCal it doesn't matter how quick you did it, it just means if you ran it took you less time to complete the distance and burn the calories!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Your HRM is grossly overestimating your calories.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Your HRM is grossly overestimating your calories.
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    If I'm really pushing it, and my average HR is up in the top of my range (80% of max or higher) I count about 100 calories for every ten minutes. I'm so out of shape (only been back on the exercise band wagon since August) that it's easier to hit the high HR ranges - I'm not sure I'm actually burning that level.

All of this is to say - go with the lower numbers. Make sure your HRM requires you to enter your age, weight, and ideally your fitness level and use the estimated calorie burn as just that - an estimate.

BEST use of your HRT is being able to know what your actual HR is, your average over a time and how quickly you recover. You can use this information to tell if you are putting out enough effort and see your improvement. A HRM is also really helpful if you are exercising where your effort is required to work, such as swimming or those Curves machines. SEEing your current HR lets you know if you're really working your body or just going through the motions.

Good luck!