How to drink more water?

Options
I know I need to drink more water because I am only averaging 4 glasses a day. I drink bottled water because I don't like the taste of our house water. Does anyone have a water bottle that has a purifier in it that they love? And how do you manage to drink all the water you are supposed to?

Replies

• bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I keep a bottle with me at all times! If it's right there you're more likely to keep sipping on it. After a while it becomes habit.

Maybe buy a tap filter and a big reusable bottle like a nalgene bottle? IMO that tastes better than most bottled water and will save you a lot of money pretty quickly. Obviously a lot kinder to the environment too.

PS: four glasses a day may be plenty. The old "8 glasses a day" thing isn't really meant to refer to big honkin' glasses. I aim for at least 32 oz each day and drink more if it's hot or if I'm active. If you drink water with your meals too it adds up pretty quickly.
  • sneezles
    sneezles Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Two glasses with each meal and I eat 5 times a day so it's simple.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a Bobble. We have filtered water in our fridge, so I don't use it that often but I try to carry it with me when I'm going to be out and about. It lets me use regular tap water or the water out of a drinking fountain without the icky taste of the water here. It really works, too. I can't tell the difference between the water out of my fridge and the water out of my tap.

You can buy them all over and the filters last for about 300 bottles full of water. I bought mine online with a 50% off coupon but I've seen them at JC Penney, Old Navy and several other stores.
  • comeback0903
    comeback0903 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    slice or two of lemon in the bottle. 160z bottles do 3 or 4 a day.... some how to me it seems less than 8 glasses... I hate water.....
  • comeback0903
    comeback0903 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    slice or two of lemon in the bottle. 160z bottles do 3 or 4 a day.... some how to me it seems less than 8 glasses... I hate water.....
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I started out forcing myself to drink a glass of water every hour on the hour during my working day, with extra at meal times and during exercise. Eventually my body got so used to it that I now feel a bit dehydrated without it.

The water in my area is really hard so we've got a Brita filter jug - it works fine and takes away the (sometimes visible) ick in our tap water.
  • cdemoura14
    Options
    I purchased 2 Camelbaks and they have helped me tremendously with the amount of water I drink! These are great on the go and I feel like I drink a ton more water when I have it with me!
  • JustQue
    JustQue Posts: 157
    Options
    My fridge has a filter. I have a bottle that can be filled with 32 oz of water. One time a day, I feel it and l it and just chug it.Then I refill it at least twice more throughout the day. I drink hot water with lemon upon rising, I drink green tea, and I drink water during and after my workouts, and while eating. So I average at least 100oz everyday. Q
  • beautybiz
    beautybiz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have a water bottle that holds all 8 cups of water I freeze half of it the night before. In the morning I fill it the rest of the way and add mint leaves and lemon juice and sip on it all day till it's gone.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I keep a bottle with me at all times! If it's right there you're more likely to keep sipping on it. After a while it becomes habit.

Maybe buy a tap filter and a big reusable bottle like a nalgene bottle? IMO that tastes better than most bottled water and will save you a lot of money pretty quickly. Obviously a lot kinder to the environment too.

PS: four glasses a day may be plenty. The old "8 glasses a day" thing isn't really meant to refer to big honkin' glasses. I aim for at least 32 oz each day and drink more if it's hot or if I'm active. If you drink water with your meals too it adds up pretty quickly.

It's 8 cups, not "glasses"

The more water, the better.
  • oreolover
    oreolover Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I use crystal light (or similar) especially if I can't get good bottled/filtered water. I hate the taste of tap water too but the packets usually cover it enough that I can drink it and they taste good (so I am more willing to drink more), and are low calorie :). Experiment with strength though, I only like about 1/4-1/2 of their recommended water:flavor packet ratio.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    We have the filter in the fridge and another on the sink. I sometimes take a smidge of sugar free jello and mix it in the water for a little flavor. I drink water - 20oz glass - before each meal. When I am out or at work I fill up my thermos and haul it along. Holds 64 oz..
  • tita0427
    tita0427 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of watermelon for snacks/breakfast, so after I chop it all up, I take some of the leftovers and put it in a large pitcher of water. If you let it sit for a couple hours when you drink it, it will have a very slight watermelon flavor. It almost tastes like you are eating the white part of the watermelon. I love it and so does my 9 year old.

Also, as someone else said. Drinking water just becomes habit. Just push yourself to drink it and after a few days/weeks, you will find that you will start to prefer water over other less healthy drinks.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm strange but I like the taste of our tap water here... but I'm not really picky. As long as it's clear and there aren't any floaties (or the floaties are harmless) I'll drink it. :) 8 glasses a day is 64oz. If you have 16oz glasses that's only four a day. I got a great bottle called the Water tracker it's got a counter on top and it holds 34oz. I'm a water guzzler so I end up drinking 5-6 of them a day especially if I workout.

If you're having a hard time I know adding ice and lemon or lime slices to your bottle helps too.

Just keep drinking!

:drinker:
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I use Mio. It's next to the crystl light and I'm a huge fan!!!!!
  • VanillaSky72
    VanillaSky72 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I only drink water that is processed by reverse osmosis. It comes in 16 oz bottles at Kmart. The taste is the best I found. It's called Smart sense. No after taste at all. Really fresh and clean. Try it out. I drink 3 bottles as soon as I wake up. Almost chug it down. Then pace the water the rest of the day. The oriental people believe in 3 glasses of water as soon as they awaken to flush the system. It makes the colon work too and helps with going to the bathroom every morning.
  • galvodka
    galvodka Posts: 102
    Options
    I love my Brita pitcher. I also have a big 32 oz water mug (with straw) and find that it is much easier for me to drink from the 32oz mug twice per day (I just bring the mug with me everywhere I go) than it is 8 8oz glasses or 4 16 oz bottles.
  • vs_shine
    vs_shine Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I use Mio. It's next to the crystl light and I'm a huge fan!!!!!

I have 4 suggestions:

1. Buy a water bottle that is 18oz or 20oz big. (saves you money from buying bottled water) I don't mind tap, when i put flavoring in. Plus, my university has free filtered water at the water fountains. so look around for a free filtered fountain...but...i know brita has good filtered jugs for your fridge...and i know they just came out with a water bottle that has a filter built into the cap.

2. Exercise every day so you have to keep yourself plenty hydrated.

3. Cut back on sugary drinks so you're body will crave water before it'll crave a coke. 1 every now and then is fine though :-) personally I get a coke zero with a splash of cherry coke...usually only when i go to a movie theater :-)

4. And yes.! Mio is a God-send...Its easy, tastes great, you can control how much to put in your bottle, better than powdery mix....we should make a commercial for it and try to get a sponsorship lol. I get mine from walmart for like $3 and it lasts for 20+ bottles. Very worth the money...my favorite flavor is the purple one...i think it's pomegranate.. I don't use it every day but my daily water intake is at least 54 oz a day. I go to school and I carry my own 18oz water bottle.

yep! good question! good luck!