Getting really down.

Options
I really need to break the cycle. I get a little down, I eat for a week (practically non-stop) I out on a couple of pounds.

I lose a couple of pounds, I "treat" myself to a weekend of food and alcohol treats, then I don't re-start for a few days...

I'm always losing and regaining the same few pounds. The above are the two cycles I seem to be stuck in. I think I need to reprogramme how I look at food. I know what's healthy and what's not, I just chose to ignore the facts while I'm stuffing my cake-hole. Is it possible to stop looking as food as a treat? I'm ALWAYS thinking about what I can eat next, and I know that isn't right...

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer for reprogramming how you look at food, unfortunately. Hopefully, someone else will.

What I do have to offer is the idea that when you lose a few pounds and want to treat yourself, you should make that reward something non-food related. Get a pedicure or buy yourself a pair of earrings you've been wanting. That might also help with the "food as a treat" problem in itself.
  • DeniseMCronin
    DeniseMCronin Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Awareness of the cycles is the first step. Recognize what triggers going off plan. Make a rule with yourself eg when I feel I want to x I'm going to for a 60 min walk. If you write it down it becomes a reality and if you break the rule you cheat yourself and nobody else. And why would you want to cheat yourself?

You are lucky to be able to recognize the cycles I have yet to figure mine out and be able to put a break on
  • Lexy3703
    Lexy3703 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Food and alcohol should never be rewards! Reward yourself with getting your nails done, or a pedi, or a new hair style, new clothes, jewelry etc. Using food/booze for your rewards will keep you in that cycle you are in.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Theres nothing wrong with thinking about what your going to be eating next as long as you plan to eat healthy and stick to it. I often plan what im going to eat for the next day that way Im not being caught out. I will say this although it might be just a tad brutal. Rewarding yourself for losing a couple of pounds isnt really wise especially if you have a long way to go and rewarding yourself with food is never a good idea unless its something healthy and nutritious.

Good luck with it. I gather from your post you already know where your going wrong. You can do it.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want- but then just make sure you do the exercise for those indulgences! :) Try planning meals ahead and only buying in those ingredients... I do it a week ahead or so at a tome, I can see what sort of calories I'm going to be eating and therefore can plan life and exercise around that...I don't worry too much if I add a few extras, I just pop them onto here too and if I have to change something due to a last minute social, I don't beat myself up too much!

I just spent an amazing weekend with my boyfriend in a hotel in manchester. We ate out like kings ... but we both went for a good relaxing swim in the morning and a 40 minute cardio session meaning we earned our food! we also spent the whole day in town walking around the clothes shops, AWAY from food then grabbed a mini sushi from the tesco mini supermarket and ate as we walked - we burned as many calories doing all that than we ate in the evening and it was a hell of a dinner... with 4 boozy drinks each, 3 courses, and coffee! We met friends in town and boogied for an hour or 2 too, more calories burned... and haven't suffered! Just add more activity in for when you do over indulge! :)
  • stripedsocks
    Options
    I suspect I simply need a mighty huge kick up the backside...
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Your description of your eating habits sounds exactly like the habits David Kessler describes in "The End of Overeating". Give it a read . . . lots of good stuff in there.
  • stripedsocks
    Options
    Thanks, I'll check it out.
  • brookjodie
    brookjodie Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    May I suggest Overeaters Annonymous to you? My husband and I realized that we are food addicts a while back and decided that OA would be our last resort. We went to our first meeting and honestly didn't think it was going to help us and we didn't understand the program but we kept going back anyway. Soon, we got to know the other members and started to understand the program and it is the best thing we ever did. The support we get and give to other members is unbelieveable!!! I am so much happier and healthier and I have such a positive outlook on life. It is a life changing experience. I wish I discovered OA years ago. It teaches you to look at the way you eat differently and life in general. And the best thing is that it's free! There are meetings all over the world. Just go to www.OA.org
  • hhcote
    hhcote Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi Jodie,

I was seriously considering OA. They meet in the next town. But, I'm nervous about going.

What was it like to go the first time? Did you go with your husband? I'd be walking in alone. :sad:

Helen