Antidepressants - SRNI - staying in shape

Dear MFP friends,

I have been prescribed SNRI type antidepressants. I am already quite in shape and I have had a stable weight for a while now. Simply, because of MFP help, everything has been going well with my body since January and I have achieved my goal (with some classic and normal fluctuations).
I am kind of worried meds could ruin it all.
So please reassure me, if you have any experience. I mean - meds dont have CALORIES, so I wont pack on weight if I keep moving and eating healthy and normally, right? Its not like Im going to magically pack on weight while eating and exercising the same way, because of some med?

Anyway I will keep monitoring my weight (and mind...haha) situation closely!

Replies

• Hello :)

I'm not sure how much help this will be, but... just in case it will be... I'm currently on Mirtazepine and have been for over 4 years. Part of the reason (aside from the obvious antidepressant effect) I was prescribed this drug was to increase my appetite and help me sleep - at the time I had dropped to a little over 7 stone in weight (I'm 5ft 6in) which was far too thin for me. Since this time I have slowly increased my weight to 9.5 stones (heaviest weight was 10.5 stone).

The medication has given me an appetite - I'm almost constantly hungry, whereas I had absolutely no appetite before. I also believe that my metabolism has slowed a little - I'm not sure if this is age or medication related though!!

I think as long as you get regular exercise, and don't binge / constantly graze on sweets, cakes, biscuits etc, like I did, your weight should stay around the same.

My natural weight used to be around 8.5-9 stone, I'd like to get back to this, hence using this site.

If you're worried about the weight gain as a side effect of the antidepressants, speak to your doctor again, there are literally dozens and dozens to choose from, at least one is bound to be suitable for you :)
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Thanks for advice. I will see if this one affects me, and then I will change if I need to!
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Effexor didn't change my weight at all when I was on it. Not everyone has problems with weight when commencing SNRI therapy. And if it does, you have the tools in MFP to change your diet to counter it.
  • Hey, girl! I have been on Effexor for depression for several years. Before that I tried others. I was up 50 pounds at the beginning of the year, but I've lost 40 of that with MFP and exercise. Lately Fitocracy has also helped a lot. I think you'll be fine...you've already got the fitness stuff down pat. The antidepressant will probably just help you stay on track, imho. If you ever have any questions, zip me a line here or on Fitocracy. I am a HUGE believer in treating depression...Life should be full of happiness and if your brain won't make the right chemicals, then I see it as being like any other illness. I am just glad there are treatments now...my dad had depression and there really wasn't any treatment until he was older. I swear by mine!
  • fnkygrl
    fnkygrl Posts: 46
    When I was taking SRNI antidepressants I didnt seem to have a problem with weight gain or my appetite and I managed to lose 15kg with healthy eating and exercise. If anything I think they helped me stay on track!

Good luck!
  • Hi. It all depends on the person really. I'm not sure if it is an SRNI, but I'm on Wellbutrin, which is supposed to be weight-neutral or cause weight loss (it's been weight neutral for me at least). Generally speaking if someone goes on an antidepressant, the weight gain may only be between 5-10 pounds, more so if you are already overweight. To someone already overweight 5-10 pounds may not be as much, but for someone who is 110-120, it's sure to be a noticeable difference. So if you do end up gaining a lot of weight, switch to something more weight-neutral. Best thing is to keep up with what you are already doing, it sounds like it's been working well for you!