Lets get a jump on the holidays :)

Options
GouchisGirl
GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
Ok, ladies… that time of year is just around the corner where those of us love to eat end up packing on a few unwanted pounds. First we have Halloween where several pieces of candy make it out of our kid’s Trick-or-Treat bags and into our own private stash that doesn’t last any longer then a few days. Right after that Thanksgiving will arrive and there are so many dishes that want to make their ways to our bellies and onto our thighs; such as turkey, dressing, pumpkin pie, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry sauce, and fruit salad. Before we have a chance to work off those pounds it is time to start making Christmas cookies, gingerbread, and fruit cake. And before you know it Christmas dinner has approached with glazed ham, yams, deviled eggs, and green bean casserole sitting on the table tempting us. I personally don’t have a problem with the sweets, or even the dinners for that matter, my problem is eating as I cook. I think I have taste tested my way through an entire meal by the time dinner rolls around.

So, my question is, do any of you have healthy alternatives to these oh so fattening temptations that are bound to find their way onto our plates, and into our bellies, in a few short weeks?

Angie

Replies

• Momma2fourunder5
    Momma2fourunder5 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    That is an awesome question...I'm going to keep watching this post to see what people say!! All of my recipes are from pre-MFP and they are certainly not diet freindly:)
  • ChristinaK42
    Options
    I think the best thing for me to do is NOT read your post on all those delicious foods. ; ) Duct Tape is my next alternative. No, Seriously, I'm going to be looking for healthier alternatives. I really don't want to go into summer looking like the Thanksgiving Turkey. And I am getting too old to run 15 miles a day. LOL
  • ChristinaK42
    Options
    When I find them I will post
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    One piece of halloween candy isn't gonna pack on the calories. Especially since it's mostly fun size. I ate like one piece a day last year until i got tired of it and I still lost. I just didn't overdo it. I gained during Thanksgiving bc I just ate all over the place, but I learned my lesson by XMAS and just watched my portions. I don't believe in cutiing out, just cutting back.
  • GouchisGirl
    Options
    One piece of halloween candy isn't gonna pack on the calories. Especially since it's mostly fun size. I ate like one piece a day last year until i got tired of it and I still lost. I just didn't overdo it. I gained during Thanksgiving bc I just ate all over the place, but I learned my lesson by XMAS and just watched my portions. I don't believe in cutiing out, just cutting back.

Hi Amber!

I agree, but some people don't have the will power to eat just one piece of candy. lol And portion control is great, but if you can eat something that tastes just as good as you are use to and eat a normal portion without the guilt it would be awesome. I know that those recipes are out there. We just need to find them. :)

Angie
  • GouchisGirl
    Options
    LOW CAL PUMPKIN PIE!

I did some research and I think this is about as low of a calorie pie as you are going to get and it sounds yummy! You can't beat 64 calories per serving. I'll post two other web sites below incase this particular one doesn't sound appetizing to you. :)

http://recipeland.com/recipes/recipe/show/Low-Calorie_Pumpkin_Pie_26733

Prep
    10 min. Cook
    50 min. Ready In
    60 min.

64 calories/serving (approx.)
    Serving 96g, Fat 1.0g, Sat 0.0g
    Carb 11.0g, Fib 2.0g, Prot 3.0g
    Chol 24mg, Sodium 41mg
    view detailed nutrition

8 servings

Ingredients
    16 ounces pumpkin (canned) solid pack
    13 ounces milk, skim, evaporated
    1 each egg
    2 each egg whites
    1/2 cup biscuit baking mix (bisquick)
    2 tablespoons sugar
    8 packages sugar substitute
    2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions
    Heat oven to 350 degrees F.

Lightly grease or spray 9 inch pie pan with vegetable pan spray.

Place all ingredients in blender, food processor or mixing bowl.

Blend 1 minute or beat 2 minutes with mixer.

Pour into pie pan and bake for 50 minutes or until center is puffed up.

Read more at: http://recipeland.com/recipes/recipe/show/Low-Calorie_Pumpkin_Pie_26733

TWO OTHER SITES

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Low-Calorie-Pumpkin-Pie
    124 cal

http://lowcaloriecooking.about.com/od/desserts/r/pumpkinpie.htm
    157 cal
  • sheila0321
    sheila0321 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the pumpkin pie recipe..
  • galaxyhearts
    galaxyhearts Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Candy is great. Skinny Cow makes the BEST little caramel clusters and they're only 100 cal. per packet... STOCK UP and just eat them when you want candy (in moderation of course).

As for the holidays I think the only weapon against it is to eat really slowly. That way you'll notice when you're getting full and you can stop yourself from having the extra servings. Remember: It takes your brain 20 minutes to get the signal from your stomach that you're full. The faster you eat the worse you'll end up feeling later.
  • GouchisGirl
    Options
    Candy is great. Skinny Cow makes the BEST little caramel clusters and they're only 100 cal. per packet... STOCK UP and just eat them when you want candy (in moderation of course).

As for the holidays I think the only weapon against it is to eat really slowly. That way you'll notice when you're getting full and you can stop yourself from having the extra servings. Remember: It takes your brain 20 minutes to get the signal from your stomach that you're full. The faster you eat the worse you'll end up feeling later.

I've seen those and have REALLY wanted to try them. They look similar to "Turtles" and I LOVE those. :) The only bummer about stuff that is healthier and low cal is it is usually more expensive. :( And you are SO right..... MODERATION is the key :)
  • stefnicole
    Options
    Here's the green bean casserole recipe that I use. I don't like condensed soups and this version uses fresh grean beans and mushrooms. The recipe uses cream, but you could use skim milk (mixed with cornstarch) to decrease the calories/fat even more.

http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com/2006/11/worlds-best-green-bean-casserole.html#_
  • GouchisGirl
    Options
    Here's the green bean casserole recipe that I use. I don't like condensed soups and this version uses fresh grean beans and mushrooms. The recipe uses cream, but you could use skim milk (mixed with cornstarch) to decrease the calories/fat even more.

http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com/2006/11/worlds-best-green-bean-casserole.html#_

Thanks! That is a huge help! (Soooooooooooo one of my favs :)
  • GouchisGirl
    Options
    Come on! Where are all those great, low calorie ideas that are going to help us through the holidays? I thought I would throw another one out there for all of you....... During the holidays mashed potatoes just don't seem as yummy without the gravy. So here is a recipe for turkey gravy that is only 17 calories...YES only 17 calories for 1/4 cup! That is a lot of gravy!

This recipe is to be used with drippings from a roasted turkey. It can really be altered to your needs as you may have more turkey drippings than this recipe calls for. Simply use more cornstarch and milk (maintaining same proportions) to achieve the consistency you desire. The most important component is assuring that you use a fat separator which will remove the calorie-laden fat and leave the flavorful drippings for your gravy.
    Ingredients:
    •2 cups turkey drippings (from a roasted turkey)
    •1/8 tsp ground, black pepper
    •1/2 cup skim milk
    •2 Tbsp cornstach
    •Salt to taste
    Preparation:
    1. Strain turkey drippings through a sieve, reserving the liquid, and discard any solids.

2. Pour the drippings into a fat separator, and allow to sit until the fat rises to the top. To speed up the process, you may add a couple ice cubes to the drippings.

2. Pour the liquid drippings from the fat separator (leaving the solid fat behind) into a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the black pepper, and bring to a heavy simmer.

3. In a separate dish, mix together the cornstarch and milk, and slowly pour the mixture into the drippings, stirring constantly with a wire whisk. Continue cooking until thickened.

4. Season with salt to taste as needed.

Makes about 1 1/2 cups

Per Serving (1/4 cup) Calories 17

http://lowcaloriecooking.about.com/od/saucesandgravy/r/turkeygravy.htm

And just for good measure I will throw in a Low cal candied yam recipe from Live Strong. While I think they are one of the nastiest things on Earth (lol) I know that they are some peoples' absolute weakness! This recipe shaves off 200 calories compared to the traditonal butt enlarging temptations that grandma use to make.

Candied sweet potatoes are a holiday favorite that often contain more calories and fat than dessert. Drowning sweet potatoes in butter and sugar diminishes much of their nutritional benefits. Instead of giving up this holiday side dish, make a version that is lower in fat but still offers plenty of flavor.

Significance
    The American Council on Exercise reports a typical holiday meal contains about 1,500 calories -- for many people this is more than a day's worth of calories. A classic, candied sweet potato recipe featuring sweet potatoes, over a pound of margarine, brown sugar, miniature marshmallows and spices contributes to this high count. One serving contains 361 calories and almost 19 g of fat per serving. You can save about 200 calories by trimming down the sweet potato recipe.

Diabetes Type 2 Diet Free Type 2 Diabetic Diet Guide! What To Eat & What To Avoid. DailyLife.com
    Sponsored Links Low-Fat Recipe
    To reduce fat in your candied sweet potatoes, use less margarine and enhance the flavor with orange zest and juice. Dice three, 5-inch long sweet potatoes and boil until just tender. Place in a baking dish sprayed with non-stick spray. Stir together ¼ cup of brown sugar, a pinch of salt, 1/4 tsp. of cinnamon and nutmeg, and the zest of one orange. Sprinkle the mixture over the potatoes and dot with 1 tbsp. of margarine or butter. Pour ½ cup of orange juice over the top and bake at 350 degrees F for approximately 15 minutes -- until the juice has created a syrupy sauce.

Benefits
    The low-fat recipe makes about five servings. In each serving there are 130 calories and 2.4 g of fat. Each serving contains less than 1 g of saturated fat. The low-fat sweet potatoes provide more than 100 percent of the recommended dietary allowance for vitamin A and 16 percent for vitamin C.

Casserole Alternative
    A low-fat sweet potato casserole offers all the sweetness of candied sweet potatoes without all the fat. A recipe in the November/December 2010 issue of "Eating Well" magazine, features crushed pineapple as an alternative sweetener. Low-fat evaporated milk adds creaminess to the potatoes, without the addition of pounds of fatty butter. Although marshmallows are fat-free, they are devoid of nutrition and high in calorie. Top your candied sweet potatoes with a light meringue made with egg whites and a minimal amount of sugar instead. The casserole contains just 196 calories per serving with 7 g of fat.

Considerations
    Instead of a super-sugary version of sweet potatoes, consider serving mashed sweet potatoes made with cinnamon, a tablespoon of maple syrup and non-fat evaporated milk for even fewer calories and only trace amounts of fat per serving. Baked sweet potato wedges served with a honey-spiked non-fat yogurt dip are another way to enjoy them as a holiday side dish or appetizer with little fat.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/303517-low-fat-candied-sweet-potatoes/#ixzz1ZN3MVG9N
  • stefnicole
    Options
    These were a hit over the holidays last year:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pretzel-turtles/detail.aspx

Satisfies the sweet/salty combo :)
  • stefnicole
    Options
    And I just made these last night. Very yummy!

http://smallhomebigstart.blogspot.com/2010/10/pumpkin-brownies.html
  • GouchisGirl
    Options
    These were a hit over the holidays last year:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pretzel-turtles/detail.aspx

Satisfies the sweet/salty combo :)

Thanks! A sweet salty combo is ALWAYS a hit :)
  • GouchisGirl
    Options
    I totally forgot one of my favorites.... EGG NOG!

Eggnog

Eggnog is a minefield of calories -- from the heavy cream to the sugar to its main ingredient, eggs. Weighing in at around 340 calories per cup, with 19 grams of fat, this is one holiday drink that’s better left at the bar -- unless you make some serious changes. First, skip the heavy cream and use skim milk and fat-free half-and-half instead. Egg substitutes are just as good as the real deal, and a single packet of artificial sweetener can add all the flavor of a teaspoon of calorie-heavy sugar. And, since you’ve carved off the calories in all the right places -- down to about 60 calories per serving -- feel free to add 1/4 cup of brandy or rum for a little kick, or spice it up naturally with a shaving of fresh nutmeg.

Makes 4 servings

1 1/2 cups skim milk
    1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half
    1/2 cup pasteurized egg substitute
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 packet artificial sweetener
    1/4 cup brandy or rum (optional)
    Nutmeg (for garnish)

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/low-calorie-holiday-recipes
  • GouchisGirl
    Options
    Wow! Everyone lost steam on this topic quickly! :) They are just right around the corner. A stock pile of healthy recipes would be helpful so everyone doesn't have to exercise 4x more then normal just to stay fit. :) (Portion control is great, but it would be nice to enjoy the holidays with normal portions of healthy alternatives)
  • stefnicole
    Options
    I have a vegan recipe for mashed potatoes/cauliflower. Now, you can taste the cauliflower, IMO, so if you're expecting fluffy mashed potatoes, this recipe wouldn't be for you. It's in one of my cookbooks, but I can find it for you if you'd like.
  • stefnicole
    Options
    These look delicious:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/09/pumpkin-swirl-cheesecake-yogurt.html

If you've never been to skinnytaste.com, her site is awesome.
  • alicebud
    alicebud Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1913,151175-245194,00.html

SWEET POTATO APPLE BAKE  
    6 medium sweet potatoes
    3 apples
    1/4 cup butter
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    1 tablespoon flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons orange juice
    Cook potatoes until soft. Peel and cut in half lengthwise. Peel and slice apples. Combine remaining ingredients. Layer ingredients in casserole making first a layer of potatoes, then apples, then half of the orange juice mixture. Repeat, topping with remaining orange juice mixture.
    Bake in a pre-heated 350°F oven for 1 hour.

Not exactly the traditional marshmallow sweet potato pie, but I like it.