candisbar524 health issues from years of abusing food

Options
Hello, I just learned about this website from my beautiful daughter who has been losing weight and looking awesome. I have had a light-bulb moment this week. I have fatty liver disease, and for the first time, my enzymes are 3 x the upper range of normal. This has me freaked. I am diabetic and my sugar levels are up and my cholesterol is high. So, this is a matter of life and death for me. Eventually, what I have done with food will kill me early. I don't intend to let this happen, and have already started changing some of my habits. Need prayers and lots of support. Thanks for reading this.

Replies

• Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your new plan! This program really works if you commit to it. It takes some dedication, but once you get into it, it works!
  • candisbar524
    Options
    Katbaran, thank you!!! :flowerforyou:
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is a LOT on your health plate! The good news is, so much of these things are lifestyle, and you can turn the ship around. Best of luck to you and feel free to add me as a friend! :smile:
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    friended!
  • ReneeJM
    ReneeJM Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My daughter also introduced me to MFP. I have been using it since the end of July and I have lost just under 11 lbs.

Feel free to add me as a friend. I think the accountability is very helpful.
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Don't despair--all is not lost!

I had a similar moment. After years of on-and-off-again struggling to gain control of my eating, I just gave up. Post 2010 holidays I felt so bad--no energy, an almost sick feeling all the time, vague pains, swelling in feet and ankles--I finally decided something had to give. And it did. I have a-fib, my cholesterol was creeping up, my stamina was low, blood pressure unstable, and so forth. I dragged myself to the Dr. and then to the gym, found a trainer and started gradually to rebuild my strength. Still, that wasn't enough and after much prompting by my trainer, I finally decided I needed to own what was going down (my throat). That's when I found MFP! Wow--something just clicked! Monitoring my nutrition, setting goals, site tools, community support--it's all working! Since August I've lost more than 24 pounds and my motivation is soaring.

The result is that in a short time I feel so much better. My blood pressure is in the low-normal range, no more swelling (watching sodium intake), I feel stronger every day, and I have a new attitude. My Dr. wanted me to lose at least 50 pounds before I could have a cardiac ablation for the a-fib, but perhaps if I carefully lose even more, I may not need the surgery.

My point is--it's never too late to make positive changes in your diet and exercise. Your health will only IMPROVE. Good for you and your family. Stay the course. YOU CAN DO IT.
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    You can do it. This website is a wonderful tool.
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    This is an amazing site. You will learn so much about food and calories which helps me make better choices. I really don't feel like I am dieting, just changing the way I eat. I do log food before I eat it. It helps me stay on track. Unlike a lot of fad diets, if you have a bad day, tomorrow is a new day and you can get back on track. Good Luck
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Hi! So glad to see you here. Sounds like you have a long journey in front of you but you WILL be able to do it! I just joined this site a few days ago and it's helping me to truly change my habits already, even thought like you I had already started to. Things may happen that slow down your weight loss but remember- it's all about what you said, taking your health and your life back. Make sure to ask your doctor about anything you're unsure of and especially before beginning a diet or exercise program that will be physically demanding. Safety & well-being are all a part of it! Good luck and I hope we can support each other!
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do this! Here are some thoughts/suggestions that helped me when I started. Feel free to take what you like and discard the rest:
    1. Only allow yourself to eat food sitting down and concentrating on the food. No food while watching TV, conversing with friends, etc... This helps you be more aware of how much you're actually eating.
    2. get smaller plates. Sounds wierd, but you'll feel just as full
    3. Friend a few people on this site - you can add me, if you like - and ask questions. We all want to help!
    4. Along with point 1, think about what you eat and when you eat.
    5. Most importantly - eat when you're hungry! It may sound obviously, but when we try to lose weight, we often feel like we have to restrict ourselves too much. It's not how often you eat but the CHOICES of what to eat. Try to keep easy, low calorie snacks around. Do you really want a cookie, or would an apple do? If you really want the cookie, have it. One cookie may keep you from eating 6 later. But, if you can, try an apple instead. Or a handful of nuts.

Good luck!
  • candisbar524
    Options
    Thanks so much for this encouragement!!
  • candisbar524
    Options
    Grammy, this is so encouraging to me. Someone who has turned it around. Thank you so much for writing to me today!! God bless!
  • candisbar524
    Options
    Thank you for these suggestions. I had not read this yet until now. But tonight at dinner, I put out paper plates instead of our large plates, because I thought to myself that it would look like I had more. LOL. That's funny you said that. Good idea, and by the way, it did work. I did not crave a snack, and just now I had 1 cup of 1% milk. What I used to have is cereal and milk, after having one or two ice cream bars, and popcorn. ...you get the idea. God bless you!
  • collierkelly06
    Options
    I am soo proud of you Mommy you are doing so well! I love you and I am here for you!!!