Does it really matter...

Options
...if you exercise in the morning or in the evening? There are all sorts of stuff out there that support one over the other but does it really make a difference?

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    ...if you exercise in the morning or in the evening? There are all sorts of stuff out there that support one over the other but does it really make a difference?

As long as you do it, I don't think it matters much.
  • gleechick609
    Options
    I think it's personal preference. I used to exercise at night because it helped me sleep. Now that I run, I have to exercise in the day light
  • Victoriav99
    Victoriav99 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter as long as you make time to go to the gym
  • tammylwv
    tammylwv Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    that's my way of thinking too but just wondered. :)
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Some will studies supporting mornings, others will rebut it.

Bottom line is exercise. It is better to do it at a time of day you can make it work in your schedule rather than not exercise at all.

Just sayin. ;-}
  • mrrodriguez
    Options
    My sleep is pretty delicately balanced. I can't work out after about 6 p.m. or I can't sleep at night. It's going to be difficult when day light savings time ends.
  • Speedy89
    Options
    depends on personal preference. Personally I find it's best to build muscle in the evenings, then consume protein, and sleep, so that your muscles can recover while you rest.

Cardio is good in the mornings, because it usually wakes you up and gives you energy for the day. Also people say "fasting runs" burn fat better than other runs, but I find them impossible to do.

Totally personal preference, do what works for you.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    depends on personal preference. Personally I find it's best to build muscle in the evenings, then consume protein, and sleep, so that your muscles can recover while you rest.

Cardio is good in the mornings, because it usually wakes you up and gives you energy for the day. Also people say "fasting runs" burn fat better than other runs, but I find them impossible to do.

Totally personal preference, do what works for you.

I'm the exact opposite. I do my weight training in the morning because it wakes me up and my cardio at night since it wears me out. :)
  • WKenL
    WKenL Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm a morning person, so my best success for getting a lot in will be if I get up early. This morning, for example, I got up, went for a 4-mile run/walk, and got home before my wife and kids were up. That's me.

I like to do a little something in the evening to wind down the day, but often don't just because I'm tired.

Other people do best in the evening. It's all a matter of who you are and what you prefer. There are lots of advantages to the morning, other advantages to the evening.

The key thing? Do some exercise, whenever you do it.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i've done it both ways and so long as you pick a time and actually go, it really doesn't matter. Kinda like eating past 8 pm...your body doesn't know what time it is (though a big dinner could make sleeping uncomfortable)