Does anyone else make a short term goal?

Options
jnd951999
jnd951999 Posts: 57 Member
I have my main goals that I have posted at the bottom. But I try to make a goal about every ten pounds or so. Since I have had so much to lose it seems there is always something I can connect a weight to from my past at about every 10 pounds. For instance, right now I my next goal is 204 because the smallest I have been since I had my daughter (2nd child) was 205 right after I had her. Then it will be 192 wedding weight weight. Then around 185 the smallest weight my husband has ever seen me at and so on. I find it easier to set mini goals all the time rather than always having to think about the big goal that is still 76 lbs away. I do have to say that I am so happy that I am over halfway through this journey. The weight I am at now I never really thought was possible 2 years ago because I didn't believe I could do it.

Replies

• sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Its great to have mini goals along the way. I haven't done that, but may be I should. Congrats on your awesome weight loss thus far. Keep up the great work :smile:
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    86 pounds! You've done so well. I should follow your lead. short term goals give you the positive feedback to keep you going
  • ninja_sloth
    Options
    Way to go on 86lb loss!! You are awesome!

I make short term goals too and you're right it really helps you keep focused on every day improvements instead of being overwhelmed by the big number.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    No, but I should. It can only help, right?

OK, my short term goal is to get below 200 pounds. It will be hard because I have a mental block about that number, I think I don't deserve to be below 200 or some such nonsense is clogging my thinking.
  • LAWIII
    LAWIII Posts: 50
    Options
    I think that's a great idea. Sounds like it would really help to keep a person motivated because instead of one seemingly unobtainable far away goal, you always have a goal right around the corner. Smart!
  • BossSauce69
    Options
    Breaking your goal into tiny actions that you can perform daily or weekly can really help you get to where you want to go. It can also make an insurmountable goal seem much easier. I suggest everyone do this!
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    The short term goals keep me sane. Otherwise it seems like it takes forever - you have to celebrate the little steps too!
    Congrats on the 86 pounds.
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    I don't really have dates for my goals, but I focus on getting down 10lbs at a time. Every 10lbs I celebrate..
  • ashcat0385
    Options
    I'm going to try it. looks more focused to do it that way! Thanks!
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    yes mini goas have save my life.

i always thought i could not loose that much and it seemed so out of reach but i have learned in my old age that mini goals are a blessing i have set a 60 lb goal that i have broken down into stones, (for some reason i like saying i lost a stone), i even have a copy of a stone on my wall that goest from zero to 14 i fill it in pound by pound and i get excieted as i get closer and closer to the top of it.

so yes mini goals can make anything reachable.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Every 10 lbs is a mini-goal. Feels great when you see the second digit go down. :)
  • LAWIII
    LAWIII Posts: 50
    Options
    No, but I should. It can only help, right?

OK, my short term goal is to get below 200 pounds. It will be hard because I have a mental block about that number, I think I don't deserve to be below 200 or some such nonsense is clogging my thinking.

I remember when I weighed myself and I was under 200 lbs for the first time in 10 years. That is such a H U G E landmark for a lot of us!
    If you do what it takes to get there, then you deserve it!
  • laura2501
    laura2501 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    my small goal is 2lb a month if i do that then i am happy
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Yep, I do the same thing. It really helps me stay motivated!
  • JennieHB
    JennieHB Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow congratulations on your already massive weight lose!
    I do not have a step by step goal, but I am looking to lose around 28lbs in total and this is purely because my partner and I are going to start IVF soon ( so I want to be in peak of health) plus we are getting married in June of next year. So I would be so pleased if I could get to 126lbs and maintain that weight. Prior to trying my fitness pal I had already lost 7lbs. So I too am half way through, I know now is the point where I am going to struggle, so i am taking it week by week and hoping to lose 1Lb per week.

good luck with the rest of your weight lose xx
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I need short term goals or the amount of weight I need to lose just would not compute! My goals were in 25 lb increments, but for now I think those are too big and I need to focus on smaller goals (maybe 10 lbs). And I build in rewards for reaching them. It may be a new bottle of nail polish or a new book or something small. I needed all new clothes at about 25 lbs down, so I think that will be a bigger milestone goal.

Great job with those 86 lbs so far. I am so happy for you!
  • undermajorconstruction
    Options
    I am the same way!!! Just hit ONEderland and then the next goal (10 lbs) will be my pre-pregnancy weight. then the next 10 lb loss will match the smallest I've been since 2002, another 10lbs after that, an I will be the smallest me since 1999 and so on...It's good to have them because when you've met one, you feel great and want to tackle the next goal. It feels like a project to me and having to meet my deadlines. It makes the goals seem more attainable too and before you know it, you are less than 20 lbs away from your main goal! :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • rosepetals_03
    rosepetals_03 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I definately did this to keep myself motivated from day one!! I have always wanted to lose weight but never really made an honest attempt... that is until I stumbled upon this website! =) I started off at 190 and knew I wanted to get to a healthy BMI (I'm 5'2" so around 125-130ish). Thinking I needed to lose 60lbs to get there made me discouraged which was why I quit before I even started in my previous weightloss attempts, but this time around I set my first goal at 150. Once I got there I was amazed and so proud of myself that I knew I could keep going! Since I already lost the first 40lbs I just knew in my heart that the next 25-30lb loss was something I could totally do... I currently weigh 136 and feel amazing!
  • a1rose
    a1rose Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have mini goals too, the first one 169 was set by a nutritionist, and then I just decided to do little increments from there. :)
  • fordster99
    fordster99 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    When I started, I had about 140 lbs to lose to be at my goal weight and I knew that if I looked at the big picture I would be overwhelmed. I set small goals. I started at 298 so my short term goal was to be in the 280s even if it was289. When I hit that then my next goal was to be in the 270s. Each time I hit one of the short term goals, I set another. It gives me a sense of accomplishment.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!