Weights or Cardio to lose weight??

Options
I'm a tad bit confused as to which one is better for me? I'm trying to lose at least 20lbs, 40lbs at most. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get rid of the extra weight but need to know which one is better for me. Can someone please help?

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Both!
  • jess3012
    Options
    cardio is good for losing weight and then weights to tone up after!
  • vinnysgirl
    vinnysgirl Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You need to do a mix of Cardio and weights, weights will build up you muscles.

One pound of muscle uses more calories per day than one pound fat
    :smile:
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    both. cardio will help you burn fat, and weights will build muscles. and because muscle need more calories than fat, you'll burn more calories overall.
  • wobblychopz
    wobblychopz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Both are important as they both assist in burning fat.
    Cardio raises fat burning while you do it and for a short period after completing your work out and weights the same thing (although maybe not at the same amount but it can assist in burning fat for longer after the workout). Also when you build muscle, you raise your BMR because your muscles need more fuel just to exist than fat does.
    Its good to tone up and have some definition to show once you start melting off the fat!
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    both. cardio will help you burn fat, and weights will build muscles. and because muscle need more calories than fat, you'll burn more calories overall.

Love that pole dancing bunny!!! Hilarous! :laugh:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm a tad bit confused as to which one is better for me? I'm trying to lose at least 20lbs, 40lbs at most. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get rid of the extra weight but need to know which one is better for me. Can someone please help?

both!
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    weights and cardio to get healthier and improve fitness. you should do both if this is your goal.

weight loss is all about the less in more out, control your diet and the weight will come off. Exercise just speeds it all up a bit.
  • tycholien
    tycholien Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    When I started trying to shift the weight I am carrying I concentrated on Cardio, running and swimming. The weight started to come off but I soon realised that it wasn't going to carry on unless I did some weights as well.

I am now doing weights 3 days a week with a bit of cardio and a long run or swim on the days I am not doing weights. The weight is coming off, my body shape is changing and I am feeling really good.

So, like everyone else has said so far, do both. If you don't like doing weight machines then find a gym that has kettlebells as they have worked a treat for me.

Good luck!
  • angelica9477
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your helpful advice.
  • SJSharksChick
    SJSharksChick Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Definitely both.

Years ago when I was 200lbs, and very uneducated about weight loss I might add, ALL I did was cardio!

I'm totally regretting it now, let me tell ya! I now do 30 min of each 3-5 days a week at the gym. :)