Shrinking your stomach

Options
I started August 25-ish and my primary goal then was to shrink my stomach or re-train it to accept less than the giant portions I had been eating before. My thinking behind this was that smaller or "normal" portions would help me keep off the weight after I reach my goal. I find that I'm satisfied much faster now. Example: the amount of food in frozen meals (which is hardly ever more than 1.5 or 2 cups) is plenty to fill me up and I find that I couldn't eat more than that. Is that a normal portion for .... let's say......lunch?
I'm simply having a hard time determining when my stomach is back to "normal".

Replies

• 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    After watching a few episodes of "cook yourself thin", I suspect that a normal "meal" might be about 500, 600 calories.

Alternatively, I also learnt somewhere that a balanced meal contains one cup carbohydrate, a deck of cards worth of meat and 3 cups of veg.

Even if it means eating more often, I'm with you on the stomach shrinking, having to eat lots to feel satisfied is no good.
  • WannabeSexyBexy
    Options
    Hi!
    How did you fight the hunger when you first started? I am doing a similar program but find that I'm hungry (or bored in work with temptation of vending machine) in between mealtimes.
    Thanks
    Bex
  • 13Natty
    13Natty Posts: 57
    Options
    I started August 25-ish and my primary goal then was to shrink my stomach or re-train it to accept less than the giant portions I had been eating before. My thinking behind this was that smaller or "normal" portions would help me keep off the weight after I reach my goal. I find that I'm satisfied much faster now. Example: the amount of food in frozen meals (which is hardly ever more than 1.5 or 2 cups) is plenty to fill me up and I find that I couldn't eat more than that. Is that a normal portion for .... let's say......lunch?
    I'm simply having a hard time determining when my stomach is back to "normal".

I suspect that is quite normal I have only been doing this for a couple of weeks and when I looked at someones diary it said
    1 cup (of what ever it was) for lunch, my eyebrows almost hit the roof. I did wonder how on earth that filled them up, 1.5cups is not a lot of food. Is it?????????? Thanks for posting because I think I should be looking at reducing my portions also.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Bex, you seem like a fine candidate for trialling the 5 or 6 small meals a day thing for a while, that way you are meeting your peckish head on with something small (maybe 250 calories) and still perpetuating the small portions thing. Alternatively, I was going to say, when you get the munchies, have some celery and carrot sticks on hand, if you aren't hungry enough to want those then you know you are not that hungry :-)
  • WannabeSexyBexy
    Options
    Thanks, carrot sticks might be the key as I love them, I best get chopping :)
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    A good way is to put your food (smaller portion) on a smaller plate. make sure to sit at the table and take your time eating..chewing slowly, savoring the flavor and texture. you will find doing this you fill faster and create new comforts in foods... and in the long run be able to eat less and feel satisfied. Your stomach shrinks and so does your minds eye and bad behaviours.
  • marzahl68
    marzahl68 Posts: 201
    Options
    Hi!
    How did you fight the hunger when you first started? I am doing a similar program but find that I'm hungry (or bored in work with temptation of vending machine) in between mealtimes.
    Thanks
    Bex

I didn't fight it at all. I guess I just "let it be", knowing it would eventually go away once my tummy is used to smaller portions. I actually welcomed the hunger inbetween meals because it meant my tummy's shrinking. I drank at least 8 cups of water daily, which I haven't kept us as well as I should have. Eat high fiber snacks that will hold you over between meals, fill up on water and occupy your mind with ANYTHING other than food.
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Firstly too many carrot sticks and you'll give yourself some awful stomach cramps, so go easy on them (at least I have experienced this every time, being a big fan of carrots and often overdoing my intake.

Secondly, one of the things which worked best for me was to drink a pint of water 5 minutes before your meal and if you can, take a small sip in betwen each or every 2 - 3 moutfuls.

Thirdly, and this one works best for me: drink NETTLE TEA before or during your meal. It has fabulous health benefits plus it can apparently AID weight loss and is good for the metabolism.

Here's something I read (amongst several different articles, as I do like to do my research!)

"One of the most popular benefits associated with drinking nettle tea is weight loss. Nettle tea is efficient for the removal of unnecessary toxins from the body. It is also known to feed the cells of the body, which results in decreases in cravings. It is often utilized as an appetite suppressant, which makes it highly beneficial for both weight loss and weight management."
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    PS. The amount of food in a ready-meal is average but I personally would still be hungry if I didnt add extra vegetables, steamed or stir fried. you sound like you know what you're doing anyway :)
  • WannabeSexyBexy
    Options
    Thanks guys, it's really nice speaking to like minded people and getting hints and tips, if any of you are looking for friends on here, please feel free to add me, as I am new to the site and don't have any currently.

I'm doing well today, have not snacked in between foods at all, and will now go and get pint of juice #3
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    When I started on my current plan, I thought it would take about 4 days to adjust to less food (smaller portions), but it took a good two weeks. I just toughed it out and it was hard. I've been on it for about 5 weeks, and yesterday I actually said to someone "I had lots of food to eat today"! It took longer to get used to it, but I did space out my food so I didn't get too hungry, but that then means less in each portion.

Now at least I think I can judge what is a reasonable amount and what is not. It has taken a while, so I may be thick ;-)

GG