Which rock are you moving first?

Options
Was reading a book by David Gemmel (great British heroic fantasy writer) when I came across the following quote:
"WHEN ASKED TO MOVE A MOUNTAIN, DO NOT LOOK UPON ITS SIZE. MERELY MOVE THE FIRST ROCK".
And it occurred to me that our journey here can be much like it. Often when we look upon what we are about to embark on it does indeed appear that this might be an almost impossible task, the "mountain" soooo high, how can we be expected to move it?
But then I realized that no matter how tall and imposing, when all is said and done, even the highest mountain is simply a collection of rocks. True, my mountain used to have many such rocks.
-Going to bed to late so overeating
-Too tired in the morning to get up early and exercise
-bringing in treats for the family, but then grabbing them myself
-spending on my time on planning for work (teaching) even on weekends
-not having a working bike
-not exercising after school b/c needed to "plan for work some more, more sitting...
-grabbing random food for lunches
-driving past a Tim Horton's (like a donut job) on the way to work for a quick "Breakfast" (hahaha. sad but true)
-collapsing in front of TV after long day, with snack in hand
-out of breath quickly when trying to jog even for a minute
claiming that there was not much I could do about this.. "That's life" kind of attitude.
and the list goes on.

It soon became apparent to me how all these "rocks" were linked. Going to bed too late, therefore overeating in the evening often, therefore being tired in the morning, therefore no time for exercise before work, therefore not thinking clearly, therefore random lunches, therefore more stress at work and negative self talk, so trying to compensate by trying to gain more control over my work by being planned to the nth degree.. so coming home and trying to focus on work..so lots of sitting... so no time for exercise..staying up late again, grabbing treats for a reward...and around we go.
So, I finally started to lift my first rock. A small one.. I simply started to go to bed earlier. And that was the start. Simple. Instead of 11 or 12 rolling around. I retired closer to 9:30. And before I knew it I woke up 1.5 hours earlier (my second rock), made time for exercise in the morning (third rock) and so on and so on.
By now my mountain, while still there, is not nearly as high, or imposing as it once was.
The key for me was to realize that I do not need to move the entire mountain today, simply started picking up rocks and keep lifting and moving, lifting and moving.And often, whilst you lift and carry a rock away, others will just naturally come tumbling down, all by themselves.
So, as you begin today, which rock will you move today? I know we often say that life is simply to busy, but surely you have time to lift a single rock. Life is good.

Replies

• kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    This is a great quote! I'm going to the gym...that's my first rock :) We'll clean up the diet later!
  • chef970
    chef970 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Well said!!!
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    excellently put!!! love the quote. thanks for sharing :)
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    the one pinning me against that hard place !
  • julie204
    julie204 Posts: 130
    Options
    good qoute certinly made me stop and think what small rocks i can be moving
  • jodiratliff
    Options
    I love this! My husband is a General Manager for Red Robin and their culture uses "Big Rocks" as a goal setter. They are always asking “What is your Big Rock?” to make management look at what they need to improve, set goals, and put systems in place to make that happen. I never thought about putting that concept into my daily diet and exercise until I read this. Thanks you just gave me more ammunition for the battle!
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Excellent commentary. It's always easier to find an excuse for not eating right or exercising, but much more difficult to come to the realization that your goals are within your grasp if you just start somewhere and build upon your success. Thanks for the words of reminder.
  • Eric184
    Eric184 Posts: 16
    Options
    Our lives are so interestingly similar. Thanks so much for the inspirational comments. I think 9:30 bedtime will be my goal this week as well. Hopefully that will break the chain of events which seem to keep me in my current state! Portion control used to be a real issue with me; MFP is really helping to keep that in check.
  • ktdid626
    ktdid626 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I am borrowing the quote! You're fantastic! thanks for sharing this!
  • ktdid626
    ktdid626 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I am borrowing the quote! You're fantastic! thanks for sharing this!