Birth control...

Options
Hi guys. I am really thinking about going back on the pill. I have been on the Nuva Ring and Ortho-tri-cyclin in the past but don't recall if it ever effected my weight much. Has anyone ever had a lot of weight gain with the pill? I want the shot, but my Dr. said that it is the worst one for weight gain. If any of you experienced weight gain, were you able to take it off, or did it just slowly increase your weight little by little? Thanks :)

Replies

• hsh0927
    hsh0927 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Ortho tri cyclin made me gain ~10 lbs and it fell off as soon as I stopped taking it. Yaz made me lose a crazy amount and I was down to 114 before I switched to LoEstrin and I believe the small/gradual gain I've noticed on that is due to my habits, not the pill
  • pinstripepirate
    pinstripepirate Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill (yasmin) since before I started losing weight using this website a year ago, and it has not hindered my success one bit. :)
  • blarics11
    Options
    gained about 20lbs on the shot and I wasen't able to get it off. (still trying) I amusing the paragaurd IUD. No hormones so no weight gain and it is good for 10 years.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I'm on Loestrin 24...it's a low estrogen pill, so I don't think it's really affected my weight at all. It sure has helped with the cramps and stuff at TOM, though. If I'd known I was going to be infertile and have to adopt, I'd have gone on it a LOOOONG time ago.
  • Peanut1026
    Options
    I've been in depo for the past 5 years! Yes I gained weight but I think it was more my eating habits and laziness! I stopped drinking coffee with sweetend creamers about a year ago and lost weight! I'm still on it and losing.
  • gdengler
    gdengler Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, hormonal birth control methods can really mess with your body - weight gain, mood swings, acne, tiredness, headaches - which is why I searched high and low for a different way to go about it. I found this little fertility computer called the "Lady Comp" about 3 years ago. My husband and I used it the whole time we have been married so far with success. I am pregnant now, but we planned that and it will help you along with getting pregnant if/when that time comes around. How it works is you set a time for it to beep first thing in the morning, you take your temperature with the thermometer that's attached to it and a red, yellow or green light will light up - red = fertile, yellow = possibly fertile, green = not fertile. It does take about a month for it to learn your cycle but when it does, you should only get about 7 to 10 red days a month. I love my Lady Comp and it has freed me from all the hormones of birth control!! Here's a link to it on Amazon where you can learn more about it http://www.amazon.com/VE-Valley-Electronics-GmbH-Germany-LCF1001/dp/B000NOKX4Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318247925&sr=8-1. Good Luck!
  • amfaery
    amfaery Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I just started it again, no weight gamin in a month :) bt I am having issues with TOM it seems to be here all month! I tryed the shot and hated it I was really bloated and actually had the "TOM" heavy for 3 months straight! not everyone gets that side effect but it was so annoying and nothing I could do until the shot wore off.
  • GirlieMutant
    Options
    I take Yaz.
    It can really help you if you have PCOS, as it will lower your testosterone-level (and therefore also lower your appetite)
    It might be a bit pricey though, as far as I know :ohwell:
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, hormonal birth control methods can really mess with your body - weight gain, mood swings, acne, tiredness, headaches - which is why I searched high and low for a different way to go about it. I found this little fertility computer called the "Lady Comp" about 3 years ago. My husband and I used it the whole time we have been married so far with success. I am pregnant now, but we planned that and it will help you along with getting pregnant if/when that time comes around. How it works is you set a time for it to beep first thing in the morning, you take your temperature with the thermometer that's attached to it and a red, yellow or green light will light up - red = fertile, yellow = possibly fertile, green = not fertile. It does take about a month for it to learn your cycle but when it does, you should only get about 7 to 10 red days a month. I love my Lady Comp and it has freed me from all the hormones of birth control!! Here's a link to it on Amazon where you can learn more about it http://www.amazon.com/VE-Valley-Electronics-GmbH-Germany-LCF1001/dp/B000NOKX4Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318247925&sr=8-1. Good Luck!

Not everyone goes on the pill to prevent pregnancy, though. I am infertile due to PCOS, and my TOMs were HORRIBLE. The pill has helped them so much...regulated them, given major relief from cramps, bloating, etc, and lightened them considerably. The OP may be on it for reasons other than birth control. If birth control is her only reason, what you suggest would probably be great for her (assuming she has a regular cycle). If she has other reasons for using the pill, then she needs suggestions for a good one.

I'd suggest to the OP that you see your doctor and talk over your concerns. The doc can probably recommend a good pill option for you. Most docs will also work with you to keep trying different ones, too, until you find one that works best for you. I tried Seasonique, and it made me really sick to my stomach, so the doc suggested the Loestrin. It's worked great for me, but every woman is different and you may need to experiment a bit.
  • Joys569
    Options
    I was on the depo (the shot) for almost 5 years and i didnt gain any weight. I was 105lbs the whole time. It wasnt until after my 4th child (2yrs ago) that I started gaining weight. I think it affects everyone differently. When I was in highschool the pill (ortho tri) made me gain about 10lbs I was about 115lbs. you should try what feels comfortable to you, if it does make you gain weight, you can always stop.