Not enough calories

Options
Can you eat not enough calories in a day for adequate weight loss? I noticed over the weekend that I ate more than I did during the work week and I lost a pound over the weekend. But then it seems like such a struggle during the work week to loose 1/2 pound when I am really watching what I eat. Just wondering if I am not eating enough calories to keep my metabolism in check. I am currently at 1200 calories a day. Should it be more?

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    As you only have a little to lose maybe you need to eat more

Go to the tools section and figure out your BMI:

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).
  • gc2052
    gc2052 Posts: 183
    Options
    I struggle with the same problem. When I take a week off boot camp I loose weight but gain it back when I exerxise. I do not dramatically change my diet. SO, yes I think you can eat too few calories.
  • elsg
    elsg Posts: 21
    Options
    Hey mate. I know when I was only consuming 1260 cals a day I wasn't losing, and now I've upped to 1430 I am losing heaps (nearly a kg a week). Maybe you are more active than what you have recorded in your goals. That was my problem. Maybe try changing that in your goal section and see if it ups your cals??? I'm no expert though!!! That was just my experience. Good luck!!:smile:
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Can you eat not enough calories in a day for adequate weight loss? I noticed over the weekend that I ate more than I did during the work week and I lost a pound over the weekend. But then it seems like such a struggle during the work week to loose 1/2 pound when I am really watching what I eat. Just wondering if I am not eating enough calories to keep my metabolism in check. I am currently at 1200 calories a day. Should it be more?

my current calorie goals are 2,080 for a lose of 1 1/2 a week with my activity level set at "lightly active." my current maintenance calories are 2,800. i usually don't go anywhere near that if i go over. But i find that if i splurge, i still lose. i'm talking about a splurge of maybe 200-500 calories. good calories, not pizza and beer.

your body is a constantly changing and adapting machine. why don't you try updating and changing your fitness and nutrition diary on this site to reflect these changes? tweaking a few settings could allow you to have a few more calories to eat, while still maintaining a calorie deficit.
  • dc_smile2002
    dc_smile2002 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    morganadk2 my BMI is 26 so that might be where the issue lies. I want to lose at least 15 pounds. It just seems like such a huge struggle right now and I think that I might need to adjust the calories some.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    morganadk2 my BMI is 26 so that might be where the issue lies. I want to lose at least 15 pounds. It just seems like such a huge struggle right now and I think that I might need to adjust the calories some.

its supposed to be a struggle. if this wasn't hard, once you lost that weight you would regain it all. no risk, no reward. this isn't easy, and it will require dedication and discipline. but we're all here to help you along the way.

just take things nice and slow. plan on losing a pound per week, and being healthy. this is 80% nutrition, 20% exercise. set a goal for yourself, like "lose 15 pounds by New Years." good luck.
  • jedi9393
    jedi9393 Posts: 121
    Options
    my BMI is 40 and I eat less than 1000, but still struggle with losing anything per week. I average 1 lb every 2 weeks or so unless I go all liquids for a few days then I lose.