So unmotivated to exercise at home :(

Options
So I am a little on the poor side at the moment and can't afford to start going to a gym or even drive to one for that matter. I would give anything to have a bike, elliptical, or treadmill here at home, but cannot afford to get one. Unless I have a machine to work with, I feel extremely unmotivated to jump around my room doing P90X. Plus I usually have to wait until after my kids go to bed at night to exercise, because they are getting into everything (they are three and one). Does anyone have any advice for me?! I am starting to feel like getting in shape will never happen.

Replies

• bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Well you just have to get up and do it!... Don't make reasons not workout, just do it! If you don't like P90X pehaps you can find another workout dvd to use... Such as Turbo Jam, Turbo Fire, Jillian Michaels, etc... There are tons out there! Or perhaps go for a walk, take your kids with you... Make it fun, something that you will enjoy and not feel like it's a chore... Good Luck!
  • JeanWalker109
    Options
    You can do this, Hannah. Just push past the negatives & think of all the positives. I'm only thinking about things I've done myself. Some ideas: turn on the radio & go to town. It doesn't have to be JUST dancing. I've done knee push-ups, situps, & other things while my kids dance around me. It's fun for everyone. That's one idea. You can also do a lot of body weight exercises @ any time. Squats, pushups, leg lifts, etc. Try to tap into your creative side and you'll find things that work with your family dynamic and your budget. Please don't give up, Hannah. You are worth it. You deserve it. You can make it work. Seriously.

I'm totally in your corner, pulling for you!!!

*hugs*

Jean
  • hannahb0614
    hannahb0614 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    We do go on walks a lot and they love it :) I will just have to keep thinking about why I am trying to be healthier and get off my *kitten* haha. Thanks for the support!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Do you have a regular bike? You can get a 'bike trainer' for less than $100 (or maybe even better on craigslist) and convert that to an indoor bike? Can your husband switch off watching the kids to give you an hour of workout time somewhere during the day where you can get out for a walk or run? Would it be terribly inconvenient or difficult to take your kids along for a walk or something? Maybe you have some other 'mom-friends' you could trade off with, or help each other by walking together?

I find it difficult to be motivated at home as well, so I know where you're coming from..but you are so young and this is the time to get in shape and set those healthy habits in place.. Good luck!
  • NancLH4
    NancLH4 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I agree on just getting out there and doing it. Take the kids for a walk in the park, if your weather is still good for that. I walk every single day. It used to seem like I "had" to walk, but now it's just a part of my daily routine. Even playing in the park with your kids is exercise. Just move, play, etc with them. They will enjoy it, and so will you, plus you get the needed exercise. I have a treadmill, but always just walk outside. (I'm in Michigan, so I even enjoy the outdoor winter weather).
  • AngelsheriHackley
    AngelsheriHackley Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Do walking with Leslie Samson I love the results I am getting and you don't have to make much noise and walk up the kids... Also get out and run you don't need equipment but you need will power... Just do it!!!
  • debydeb57
    Options
    your doing great honey.... have you tried craigslist... i got a really good treadmill for 150 bucks... it tracks my heartrate and has the incline feature on it ....

but its better to get out with the kids, weather permitting, as they will enjoy the mommy time... good luck honey
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Check Craigslist and Freecycle.org to see if anyone is giving something away or selling it really cheaply. One thing you could do is take your kids out in the yard and play tag for 30-45 minutes. You'll get exercise, and you'll wear them out in the process (double benefit!). Then you could do some strength training while you watch tv after the kids go to bed.

I know what you mean, though. I was trying to work out at home, but I walk in the door after work, and my kids (ages 12 and 13) are pushing papers at me from school. There's laundry, dinner to cook, lunches to pack, dinner to clean up, kids to get to bed, etc. I finally had to just look at my budget and find the money to join a gym so I could work out in peace! That may not be possible for you, but just playing with your kids and chasing them around the yard is good exercise. You could even find some games online that you guys can play in the yard to keep you all running around. It's good for your kids, too...they'll get some exercise along with you.
  • tdubyagreen
    Options
    honey, just do it. get a leslie sandsone video and walk three miles. or take your kiddos to the park (they usually have mile markers) and run them down at the same time. i so recognize myself in your post and i'm doing what i hope someone will do to me when i'm feeling that way -- kick me in my keister and tell me to just do it.

one thought that comes across my mind now is the word 'perseverence'....doing what you HAVE to do -- even when you don't want to.

so, my online friend....get up and make it happen. i'd love to hear back from you today.:flowerforyou:
  • lenwie
    lenwie Posts: 240
    Options
    It can be really hard to get motivated for home exercise, I usually start with good intentions then a week or 2 in things slide, but one thing that has remained constant is walking. Do you have a double buggy, you could powerwalk while pushing the kiddies, that way you will get cardio as well as a little weight work with the loaded buggy. One exercise routine I like at home is the Leslie sansone walking workouts on the days its raining and here in NE Scotland, that seems to be everyday lol

You can get an idea of one of her workouts by going onto her website, you will also find her on you tube, I have downloaded links and use this, I also ordered the DVDs from QVC.

Best of luck x
  • awkwwward
    Options
    Well you just have to get up and do it!... Don't make reasons not workout, just do it! If you don't like P90X pehaps you can find another workout dvd to use... Such as Turbo Jam, Turbo Fire, Jillian Michaels, etc... There are tons out there! Or perhaps go for a walk, take your kids with you... Make it fun, something that you will enjoy and not feel like it's a chore... Good Luck!

I agree with this.
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat with you.

I just started walking the neighborhood. I don't really do well with indoor exercise (unless it's the dead of winter).

Check freecycle.org for someone that may be giving away their exercise equipment. (I've raked in a TON of exercise equipment that way)

Do Netflix streaming and try different workout videos. I just added a ton to my streaming and my DVD queue.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    This is sad, and it may not be right, but I guess I've found my motivation in the fact that if I don't move or do something significant, I basically don't get to eat. I don't get to keep alot of fresh stuff around, so a meal of any sorts that is anything close to satisfying is at least 300-500 calories, so I'm motivated to move because I want to be able eat.
    I also find extra ways to get in exercise while I'm doing my regular chores, laundry and dishes and etc....my girls find it somewhat entertaining when I'm dancing while I'm washing dishes. :)
  • KMSForLife
    Options
    I have to get up early in the morning to work out - before the rest of the house wakes up.

I have several types of home workout dvd's. I do have the Leslie Sansone Walk At Home with the intensity belt. I never use it because I have a treadmill and a recumbant bike - but I didn't always have those and at that point I used my dvd's.

I would be happy to send you that dvd or others I have that you may be interested in. I won't charge you anything and I don't need them back. If you would like to have them than message me separately and let me know.

Good luck to you!
  • cwglosin4vaca
    cwglosin4vaca Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    So I am a little on the poor side at the moment and can't afford to start going to a gym or even drive to one for that matter. I would give anything to have a bike, elliptical, or treadmill here at home, but cannot afford to get one. Unless I have a machine to work with, I feel extremely unmotivated to jump around my room doing P90X. Plus I usually have to wait until after my kids go to bed at night to exercise, because they are getting into everything (they are three and one). Does anyone have any advice for me?! I am starting to feel like getting in shape will never happen.

I couldnt afford one either. I started off working out at home(walkingoutside) but then I ran into a great deal at Sears(we already had a card) I got a treadmill on sale for $400 and it was like 0% interest for 24 months. My payments were like $15. I know not the best suggestion but you could do something like that, try craigslist, walk outside or at the park, just get up and clean! The point is dont feel sorry for yourself-just move!!!! HTH!
  • hannahb0614
    hannahb0614 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! I really just need some good motivation talk sent my way :) I have looked on craigslist, I usually try to catch onto the the free equipment but always seems to be gone before they email me back! I don't have a regular bike, but if I can get one cheap, I'm sure I will be able to get the base to ride it inside. I am playing with the kids all day everyday, but it just doesn't seem like enough! We go to the park at least every other day, play inside (we live in a townhouse, and our backyard isnt much of a yard, it goes right to a busy street), and we jump around and dance and play every day. Guess I need more friends to keep me on my feet and support my journey :) Thank you so much guys! Feel free to add me on here so we can stay updated <3
  • shiransom
    shiransom Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I think the fact that you are already taking walks with your kids is great! That is exercise, too. And someone else said to do push ups, crunches, etc, while your kids dance around you. I did that when my kids were younger. They really got a kick out of it. Also, if you don't have the energy to jump around after the kids go to bed (which I completely understand), try pilates, yoga, or yoga booty ballet...or jazz up your cardio with zumba. It's fun and there is a 20 minute video. Keep up the good work! You're doing great!!!
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have to workout at home pretty often even though I have a gym membership. Some days I just can't make it there because things are too hectic after work and they close at 10 PM on week days. Thankfully I do have an elliptical at home, but I also have some workout DVDs that are really fun. I think maybe if you find 1 or 2 that you like that aren't an hour long, that may be the best option. I would recommend Zumba, 30 Day Shred, Biggest Loser Power Sculpt and Turbo Jam. Turbo Jam is my favorite and the instructor Chalene is awesome. I got my elliptical off Craigslist for $150 and brand new it was over $1000. You just never know what deals you may find. Also someone had suggested doing the 24 months no interest thing on a treadmill or elliptical and I think that's a reasonable idea if you can afford the $15-20 monthly payments. It will probably end up being one of the best purchases you make. I know it's hard to get the energy sometimes, and I struggle with that too. I have a 2 year old boy that never slows down. By the time he is in bed I am beat and worn out. I just have to remember the weight doesn't magically fall off overnight and it is worth it to keep going when you continue to see the results on the scale and how your clothes fit. Feel free to add me!
  • Momma747
    Options
    Hey Hannah!

I know it can be dificult I have a little girl (4) and it is difficult with just her. Everyone has great ideas but one thing I like to do to work my leg muscles is "the airplane" and my little girl gets the biggest kick out of it. If your not sure "the airplane" is where you lay on your back and put your feet in the air, then one of the kids lays their belly on your feet and you grab each others hands and push them in the air.

Hope that helps!
  • chocolatefairey
    Options
    Blast some music out of the stereo and just dance yourself silly, even the children can join in! I don't like gyms or like exercising for that matter, but once there is some music being played my bum is shaking! You will be surprised how many calories you can burn just being silly! Good luck you can do this! :) x