Easy and Tasty Healthy Snacks, Any Ideas?

Options
So my biggest problem is sticking with the healthy eating. I have no problem working out every day and staying active (my little boy keeps me on my toes) but where I have real trouble is finding healthy snacks! I am a snacker, I always have been, but I used to eat completely unhealthy things like cake for breakfast or nachos for lunch and i used to drink beer almost nightly plus snack on chips or eat extra meals etc. I'm trying my hardest to put those ways behind me but I just always feel hungry and crave chocolate like crazy!!! I'm also an emotional eater, which doesn't help, and my husband doesn't like any of the low fat or vegetable type things, he loves the junk food and always encourages me to eat junk food too! (which drives me crazy as he is insanely skinny). I love the fruits and veggies but they don't fill me up and leave me craving all things not good for me... So please, any advice on healthier snacking/meals would be greatly appreciated!!!

Replies

• BrodiesMom
    Options
    So my biggest problem is sticking with the healthy eating. I have no problem working out every day and staying active (my little boy keeps me on my toes) but where I have real trouble is finding healthy snacks! I am a snacker, I always have been, but I used to eat completely unhealthy things like cake for breakfast or nachos for lunch and i used to drink beer almost nightly plus snack on chips or eat extra meals etc. I'm trying my hardest to put those ways behind me but I just always feel hungry and crave chocolate like crazy!!! I'm also an emotional eater, which doesn't help, and my husband doesn't like any of the low fat or vegetable type things, he loves the junk food and always encourages me to eat junk food too! (which drives me crazy as he is insanely skinny). I love the fruits and veggies but they don't fill me up and leave me craving all things not good for me... So please, any advice on healthier snacking/meals would be greatly appreciated!!!
  • Starchaser
    Options
    Try dark chocolate, at least 70% cocoa.

It's so much richer you won't be able to eat a lot, but it's lower in sugar and calories that milk or white chocolate.

I'm a fan of peanut butter on ryvita dark rye.

Nuts and seeds are quite good nutritionally, but watch the calories on them!

On the go I'm a big fan of sports whey protein bars.
  • TashaS
    TashaS Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    For your chocolate kick what about a Fat Free Jello pudding... or those Dairy Milk Crisps that are only 100 cals.

Chip wise I'm fan of the Rice Works chips - You get 10 chips for about 190 cals.

I'm also big into hot air-popped popcorn (no salt or butter) & pretzels (usually unsalted)
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    Laughing cow cheese and Wasa Breadcrisps. Low calorie, high fiber, whole grains and YUMMY!!!
  • jlgraziano3
    Options
    I'm a HUGE snacker as well and what I've stumped upon lately are Weight Watcher Ice cream cups. They are 100 calories each and totally take the 'chocolate' craving away. If you're also a chip eater like I am, I've found Stacy's Pita Chips are a great alternative to other crackers. That and popcorn! Hope that helps!
  • IUChelle423
    IUChelle423 Posts: 197
    Options
    I buy grapes, baby carrots, sugar snap peas, celery, broccoli & cauliflower (pre-cut) and then spend a little time after I get home from shopping or Sunday night bagging them into individual sandwich bags so they're easy to grab. I find that when they're washed and portioned (ready to go), I reach for those items instead of a carb snack like chips or popcorn. I dip the veggies in 1 tablespoon light ranch, Italian dressing or hummus. I also like the Jell-O Sugar Free dark chocolate pudding cups with crushed up graham crackers and a little light whipped cream. Hope that helps!
  • erin00glen
    Options
    I am a snacker too, I've found a snack that is low in calories, and stops my cravings for chocolate and sweets. The Fiber one granola bars taste like rice crispy treats, one of my favorite snacks. They have chocolate and peanut butter, apple strudel, and a few others. I have tried to eat the fiber one cereal in the past and that tastes like card board, which is why I was surprised how good these were. Good luck.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Lower the carb intake (popcorn is a carb!) and up the protein and fiber you eat, which will help you feel fuller longer. Drink more water. I mix up my liquid intake by doing water, or sugar free lemonade, or something that has flavor to make me feel like I'm drinking more than water.

I've been at this a little over 2 mos, and I've noticed that the more calories I burn at the gym (I do cardio every day) the easier it is to not have those bored or emotional eating times.

And as far as hubby, he needs a kick in the butt for not supporting you and in fact working against you. He needs to have his ears chewed, send him my way, I'll be glad to set him straight! LOL
  • wildkitty505
    wildkitty505 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    These are some of my favorites...

hummus and veggies
    fat free pudding
    fiber one bars (great for a chocolate craving!)
    triscuit and laughing cow cheese
    Special K multigrain crackers
    smart pop popcorn
    Blue diamond 100 calorie almond packs
    yogurt
    Edy's yogurt blend ice cream (90 cals for 1/2 a cup!)
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I'd say eat more vegetables. They'll fill you up if you eat enough, and without too many calories.

Try a cup of broccoli florets with an ounce of babybel cheese (50-70 cal). If you melt the cheese and dip the broccoli into it, you'll get the same sensory experience as the nachos without the carbs and salt.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    My favorite nighttime snack if we are watching tv/movies is popcorn. I still oil pop mine and for a big bowl use 2TBL of real butter. DH & I share the bowl so I don't think this is to much.
    I have tried air popped, microwave but they don't taste good. I feel like I'm eating stryofoam.
  • jamielbeck
    jamielbeck Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am with you! I l.o.v.e chocolate! I keep Hershey kisses in my freezer. Only one bag and never the mixed chocolate (if we have this I eat a ton of chocolate!). If I am craving chocolate I eat one or two. I found that if they are frozen it takes me longer to eat one and I think about it before I eat the other one. I've also found that sometimes I'm not hungry for chocolate or chips and that I am just thirsty. Water usually helps me. Other snacks I like have been an apple and a string cheese, fresh berries and almonds, or wheat thins/triscuits or carrots and hummus. I've found that the more I am eating healthy and working out the less I am likely to eat the junk food with my bf. Good luck! You can do it!
    :happy:
  • Lisa777
    Lisa777 Posts: 27
    Options
    I posted this before, but nobody seemed to notice it.. Maybe it will help you some. Good Luck:laugh:

Sweet Treats
    -5 Nabisco Nilla Wafers
    -1 Whole Foods Market Two-Bite Brownie
    -1 Healthy Choice Mocha Fudge Swirl Bar
    -9 Tootsie Roll Midgees
    -1 pouch Keebler Sandies Right Bites Shortbread Cookies
    -½ cup Sharon's Lemon Sorbet with 1/4 cup blueberries
    -1 Skinny Cow Fat Free Fudge Bar
    -1 Nestlé Butterfinger Stixx
    -12 vanilla Miss Meringue Minis
    -4 Country Choice Certified Organic Ginger Snaps
    -1 Vitamuffin Vitatop

Savory Bites
    -29 pistachios
    -60 Pepperidge Farm Baby Goldfish Crackers
    -1 Jolly Time Healthy Pop 100 Calorie Mini Bag popcorn
    -25 EatSmart Café Fries
    -12 Back to Nature Sesame Ginger Rice Thins
    -12 Quaker Quakes Cheddar Cheese Rice Snacks
    -40 Rold Gold Classic Style Pretzel Sticks

Dairy Delights
    -1 Laughing Cow Light Creamy Garlic & Herb cheese wedge and 3 Triscuits
    -1 Kraft Polly-O Superlong Twist-Ums string cheese stick
    -1 Yoplait Light Smoothie
    -½ cup low-fat cottage cheese with 5 strawberries

Hearty Helpings
    -Campbell's Soup at Hand Blended Vegetable Medley
    -1 hard-boiled egg with 1 slice Melba toast
    -4 slices Sara Lee Honey Ham with 2 teaspoons honey mustard, rolled in lettuce leaf
    -½ mini bagel with 1 ounce smoked salmon

Fruits & veggies
    -2 cups raspberries
    -28 grapes
    -1 cup blueberries
    -1 cup mango chunks
    -½ medium cantaloupe
    -15 strawberries dipped in 1⁄4 cup Cool Whip Lite
    -45 steamed edamame (green soybeans)
    -2 tablespoons each of mashed avocado and chopped tomatoes stuffed in 1⁄2 mini pita
    -½ red bell pepper dipped in 3 tablespoons hummus