bad night last night :-(

Options
So yesterday I did great all day and then had a really rough night at work and didn't get home until 10:30pm and stayed up until 1:30 eating and watching tv...eating lots.

Here I had lost 3 pounds last week and 10 pounds in the last 3 weeks total. I ate really healthy and worked out every day :-( Not going to step on that scale this morning. I know I still haven't digested all that food yet.

Trying to make myself log it. It started when everything was going wrong and I was having to load up this tray of amazing cookies and a chocolate chip one was broke...so I ate half. Later as I was flying through the bakery I grabbed a malted milk ball...and later ate 4 more.

Then after I got home 2 hours late I found my son had brought home these little sugar doughnuts that they make at his job....I ate all 4. Then I made a low carb tortilla with 1/4 low fat colby jack cheese and some taco sauce. My one sane choice...until I had a 2nd one. Next I grabbed the cereal...small handful of cap'n crunch and 1/2 cup of my flax seed granola.

This was all between the hours of 10:30pm and 1:30am.

Needless to say I'm a little depressed right now. I want to tell myself today's a new day. I want to jusify what I did. Blame it on stress. Call it a cheat day. Call it whatever I want, it doesn't change it. I am the only person to blame. I knew what I was doing. Comforting myself with food. It's what always defeats me. :sick:

I guess I just needed to own up to it. Now to see if I can fit it all in my diary. In the past I've skipped this part, but maybe I need more than just this confession.

Replies

• Papa_Swearingen
    Papa_Swearingen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You have to keep your head up! Put it past you and get back to the life you WANT to live.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Guilt is only useful if you channel it to do better next time...
  • Aussie4870
    Options
    do not worry about it a minute longer...

i also had a terrible night last night....like you stayed up way too late and watched tv and ate...

im not going to log it cause i do not want to dwell on what i did in the past...it made me even more motivated to get up this morning and put in a good workout at the gym....

i notice on the day (Sunday) that i dont workout i have very little will power and i just tend to eat what i want...(note to self...do not make muffins with the kids again...even if they are low fat!!!)....

i just move on today...have a great week and dont think about what you did...just think about how you will do better next time...

honestly i find that the bad choices that i do make really dont affect me that much since i make far more good choices...

and i also remember, that im not on a diet, i have changed my lifestyle to that of a healthier person with regular exercise and eating right a huge majority of the time...we have to live life, not let our eating habits control how we feel...

have a great day...you know you can do this, cause you've already been doing it!!!!!!!
  • ValorieGoode
    Options
    Get to that Gym and start working it off. That's what I do when I mess up! Mess up and make it better by doing something good for yourself. We can't take back what we eat sometimes but we can try to burn as much as we possibly can.

Keep up the good work and throw away the bad day! You can do it.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Days like that are best forgotten and get straight back on track. Far worse when a binge causes you to give up completely. Go for it tomorrow and be good the rest of today :O)
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    its a slip up honey. If you know how to do well the rest of the week you will be ok. Here's a post that
    talks about what to do after "one of those nights". I find it to be very helpful.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/363055-how-to-bounce-back-from-slipping-up-overeating-or-splurgin
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    it won't affect you in the long run. Sometimes your body needs a huge cheat meal, it can be a good thing.
    And it doesn't matter in the slightest that it was in the middle of the night. Calories are calories no matter what time it is, that's a myth that you shouldn't eat before bed.
    Just don't weigh yourself today and drink a ton of water. Remember, it's all INSIDE you but it's not all "fat" so it's not weight GAINED, it's just sitting in your intestines. After a day or 2 it will be all gone. Maybe by tomorrow if you eat a lot of fiber and drink a lot of water today.
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Forget yesterday and get on with today.
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the support. I needed your words. And today is a new day and I will be held accountable. I wish I could go to the gym today, but it's an hour away at my job and I don't work until Wednesday. But I will eat right today. I will exercise...a lot today...and I will drink lots of water! Cuz I'm really backed up right now. :embarassed:

I did log it though...just so I could see. Ate over 1000 cals just in snacks yesterday...I've had entire days were I haven't eaten that much!!
  • twinsanity
    twinsanity Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    You've come so far in this process, don't lose sight of that! If nothing more, last night certianly won't kill all of your hard work! Ownership is the best part of it! Congrats to owning it and knowing that you have the tools to not make the same choice today. You haven't come as far as you have by making bad choices, just keep doing what you're doing! Your success is amazing, keep it up!!!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I guess I just needed to own up to it. Now to see if I can fit it all in my diary. In the past I've skipped this part, but maybe I need more than just this confession.
    Great job owning it. I know for me, it's good to go back and try to enter everything. In a month's time, it won't matter unless it's a regular occurrence. But there is accountability in recording it. You owned it. Now move forward.
    Guilt is only useful if you channel it to do better next time...
    Agree. Agree. Agree. Wallowing in guilt is self-serving and does nothing positive. Use guilt as a temporary reflection that you've done something you'd like to change. Focus on how to make that change. Then leave the guilt behind.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Guilt is useful only if it leads to successfully avoiding repeating bad habits.

Sometimes it can lead to giving up, and that's horrible. In general, looking forward and focusing on the process that leads to success is much more powerful than looking in the rear-view mirror and seeing things that you regret.

What does a great day look like to you? What is a successful day? What does a successful morning, midday, and evening look like in your mind's eye?

Break it down, try for that day. Even just the rest of the day. Work your schedule around it. The reward is hitting the pillow tonight with the victory of having even a good portion of today. And plan tomorrow to be better than today. Build on the success, and you'll be back on track.
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Today is a much better day! Confession is good for the soul and MFP is good for getting me back on track!

Had a lot of healthy options today and high fiber (to take care of that constipation problem!) and lots of fluids. Not eating after 5pm today (usually it's an 8pm cut off) and just having water and tea this evening!

I have a good plan in place for both fitness and food this week and one really bad night won't derail me this time.

Thank you all for the advice and the support. It's much appreciated!