Just went apple picking...need ideas.

Options
Does anyone have (or know of) any yummy recipes for apples. Apple pie is out ( I would eat the whole thing myself). I was going to try some homemade apple sauce but I am looking for other suggestions as well. Thanks!

Replies

• voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    http://veganrockergirl.blogspot.com/2010/10/apple-crisp-and-pizzasounds-like.html

This is one of my favorite recipes that I use all the time...it's delish!
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Apple Crisp
    Apple Bars
    Apple Butter
    Dehydrated Apples ( can make in the oven)
  • Goofy076
    Goofy076 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have a awesome sugar free apple pie recipe if you want :)
  • cleigh86
    Options
    apple chips! I just made some yesterday. You core an apple or two, slice them very thinly (if you have a mandolin that would be best), and sprinkle them with cinnamon. Then you bake them at 200 degrees for about 2 hours, or until the apples are dry and no longer spongy. You can also sprinkle sugar on them, but I opt out since I think apples are pretty sweet already :) Once they are fully cooled you can store them in an airtight container for a few days....if you they don't disappear first!
  • KarenHarper71
    Options
    Baked apples and sultanas - scrummy. Just core the apples fill them with sultanas and spice and roast for an hour, you can add some brown sugar if you like, inside the apple with sultanas

Delicious - good luck
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Baked apples - you peel and core the apple, sprinkle just a touch of sugar and cinnamon on it and make until fork tender. Tastes just like a warm piece of apple pie!
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Bran/high-fiber wheat muffins or cupcakes with apples and cinnamon are pretty awesome, and make a great low-cal breakfast or snack. Here are a few recipes from EatingWell:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/spiced_apple_butter_bran_muffins.html

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/apple_cupcakes_cinnamon_frosting.html

I haven't made either of these specific recipes, but some apple bran muffins I've made in the past are similar to the first one (very yummy). I went apple picking, too, and I cannot wait to make apple cupcakes with cinnamon marshmallow frosting :love:
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    We picked a bushel of apples last week. We've been eating them, and I made crockpot applesauce last night, but have barely made a dent in them! Apple crisp tonight, but I'm also looking forward to seeing what everyone here comes up with!
  • Elizabeth_King21
    Elizabeth_King21 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Roasted Apple Butter:

8 med, McIntosh Apples, peeled, cored, and quartered (we used Gala and it worked out fine)
    2 cups unsweetened apple juice

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Arrange apples in a roasting pan. Pour jiuce over apples. Bake until tender and lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Using a fork or potato masher to mash in roasting pan. Reduce temp to 350 degrees. Stir occassionally. Bake til thick and deep brown. Put in bowl to cool. Add cinnamon to taste.

Information per TBSP:
    27 calorie
    7g carb
    1g fiber
    18mg potassium

Also, invest in a dehydrator. Dry them out and you can use them in recipies later. They are great in oatmeal. The possibilities are endless.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    These sound good - we have a bunch of apples too and I've been wondering what to do with them (that I could enjoy too)!
  • maryanne828
    Options
    What about a microwave baked apple, it is fast, easy, and good. After you core out the center, add nuts, raisins, a drizzle of honey then microwave 2-3 minutes depending on your micro. One other quick idea my family loves is when I make my apple pie filling and microwave it, no crust just fruit. Yum....
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    applebottom jeans
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Apple slices with Peanut Butter or sprinkled with cinnamon.

Baked apple slices (I use lots of cinnamon, 3 packets of splenda, 1 unpacked tsp of brown sugar, a few sprinkles of powdered ginger, and a small pinch of nutmeg to make mine these days). Makes them taste like gingerbread on an apple. :smile:

Also great in oatmeal with some cinnamon, unsweetened apple sauce or milk of your choice, and sweetener of your choice. Kind of like apple cinnamon oats or apple pie oats if you use applesauce.
  • KarenHarper71
    Options
    Baked apples - you peel and core the apple, sprinkle just a touch of sugar and cinnamon on it and make until fork tender. Tastes just like a warm piece of apple pie!

Mustn't peel them, they need the skin to hold the apple together
  • idrewacat
    idrewacat Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    For breakfast this morning, I had half an apple, chopped, with a spoonful of canned pumpkin stirred in. I sprinkled cinnamon and a spoonful of crushed cornflakes on that, and microwaved it for about a minute. It made a warm, delicious apple crisp alternative. Only 60 calories, fat free, and it's single serving! I got that splendid idea from a blog I read.

It'd probably be good without the pumpkin, too, but I happen to have part of a can that I need to use.
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite quick meals on the go is a slice of whole wheat bread toasted with peanut butter spread thin and stacked with thin slices of apple. YUMMM!!! Makes a good snack too.
  • dlbarroso
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • NikkiLewLew
    Options
    I love to saute or bake my apple slices in coconut oil (healthier than butter!). While they are cooking I sprinkle both sides with truvia and cinnamon. It's the perfect breakfast or dessert!
    Enjoy!