Could a sprained ankle cause shin splints again ?

Options
Hi all,

just wondering if I can get some peoples opinions on this (whether its a sprain or could be something else) but I have been doing a spot of running lately after getting over a nasty bout of tibialis posteriour shin splints due to poor footwear (now sorted with proper shoes) and I was out running last wednesday morning and slipped off a kerb while jogging at a reasonable pace (no idea how I did it) but I rolled on my left ankle and then sort of a bit on my right ankle.

After composing myself and assessing there was no immediate pain or major injury, I tried to re-start jogging at a slow pace but after about 5 metres I felt some slight pain in my ankles so I aborted the run and took a slow walk back home and chucked a load of ice my ankles for about 15 mins.

I haven't had any swelling (noticeable anyway) or any discolouration / bruising but I have had a few twinges when stood up or coming off a high step in my left leg (pain along shinbone, ankle and sometimes it feels like a little in my heel at the sole but not the back of my heel if you get what i mean)

I have took it (relatively) easy since, worn a ankle support and I have been able to do a little on the bike at the gym and managed to do 10 mins of light jogging friday night before feeling a twinge in my foot and switching to the cycle again.

I went to the cinema last night and maybe it was just the seating position but I was getting awful aches down my shin and in the top of my foot, to the point where I had to take my shoe off and adjust the support although I still couldnt see any swelling.

I guess as I don't believe I have ever sprained my ankle or not to the point I can remember, does this sound like the common symptoms (areas pain should be expected) and also is it possible it has started my shin splints off again as some of the pain is down the side of my ankle (tib pos).

The plan is rest and continue with low impact exercise and I am probably gonna hit the docs in the morning to get a physio referral but if anyone has had similar, comments would be appreciated.

Ed

Replies

• ChristopherOren
    Options
    Not necessarily, but you may be experiencing compartment syndrome. I have this in both my legs and had to have surgery on my right leg because it hurt all the time. Shin Splits cure is time with no excercise ( It will go away). Compartment Syndrome feels similar to shin splints but always returns during your run no matter how much rest you've had.
  • syguy
    syguy Posts: 35
    Options
    Since I got some proper running shoes and took a break from running / treadmill, I havent had any issues even to the point I ran a weekly 5k race aswell as treadmill work and running int he mornings without any shin pain, just since I went over last week that the pain in my leg / shin is there.

I'm gonna see if I can get a referral tomorrow or sometime soon as I wanna get back to running asap but I can see it being a case of resting for a week or so without hitting the ground running.