How long does a plateau last?

Options
About every 10 pounds, I seem to hit a plateau but this week it's really not budging. I am at the 50# mark so maybe that takes a longer adjustment but just wondering if anyone has noticed the same thing. I have increased my cardio to try and stimulate a loss and I never fully eat all my calories but I do stay above 1200 as my minimum. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

By the way, am so excited. Had to buy new workout clothes as my old ones are falling off during workouts and everyone is noticing!!!

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    A true plateau is 2 weeks without a loss. But it can be longer! Don't give up. Making healthy choices is always better than bad choices, regardless of seeing a loss or not.
  • Danahimself
    Danahimself Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I have lost over fifty as well. I seem to have over came my plateaus from actually just taking it easy from dieting and exercise. I took a whole week off and ate a bit more only to come back doing a changed routine. That did it for me.
  • kimaviles76
    kimaviles76 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Same problem! I've lost 20 lbs in 48 days and now I'm stuck :( It make me sad because I am doing everything correct...wth?:frown:
  • macylane4
    macylane4 Posts: 224
    Options
    have a cheat day..go over your calories, and don't work out...it will kick start you back to your weight loss...I had fried clam strips last week, and they gyms scale said I lost 5lbs. I'm in a competition there, and that was the biggest week anybody had had except for week one of course!!
  • Southernsister
    Southernsister Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Congrats..I just had to buy nevv vvorkout clothes too...(big smile) I hit a plateau and couldn't get the scale to move.I changed my vvorkouts up. I also changed some of the foods. Our body gets used to the same thing. Kinda like a car running on Reg gas and then one day you add the good stuff. The body does speak if vve listen. Even changing the time of day you vvorkout...just push...you can and vvill.
  • Sherrielsb
    Sherrielsb Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    If you need an extra boost, try taking your measurements, they should be down. Lots of times- but not always I find that during a plateau I have shrunk and taking measurements helps to ride it out. Once your body realizes you mean business it will let go of the weight, You may also want to try adding an extra glass or 2 of water and/or changing up your exercise routine.

Good luck!
  • macylane4
    macylane4 Posts: 224
    Options
    Also remember only carbs for breakfast, or within 2 hours after you work out. There is no need to have them any other times...if you are planning to have carbs you need to do a quick intesnse work out! (I mean like potatos, bread, wheat, those carbs.) not veggie carbs like beans etc. Corn is considered a work out carb too!!!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    As far as I have been able to figure out, you're not on a plateau since you're talking about "this week". A plateau is an extended period - weeks turning into months.

Insofar as eating 1200 calories - never did it and don't see a reason to do so. My calorie level was 800 to 1k net cals/day and weight dropped off of me very quickly. I modeled my diet after the Lindora clinic that operates here in Southern California. In their program, they consume that level of calories and, at that level, the expectation is to drop 10% of your body weight in 10 weeks. They've been in business for some time (over 40 years) and have helped hundreds of thousands of people lose weight.

That level of calories worked for me - I lost 95 pounds in 7 months. My results are here:

http://cbeinfo.net/weight.htm

Perhaps you're losing weight like I did? That is, a period of weight loss followed by a "recovery" phase? You can see the cycles that I went through on the web page.
  • NicoleMensigg
    NicoleMensigg Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Just getting over my plateau...I had actually gained about 3lbs, lasted about 2 weeks & got back at it & lost 4-it got me down big time!! But I did what someone above suggested...take it easy from dieting & working out (I did like one hard cardio day at the gym with the eliptical & bike & walked the dog the rest of the week) and pretty much ate what I wanted. However, things are back on key and I've lost all that weight along with an extra lbs. (I've lost 68 so far) and I can't really talk much about plateaus because this was my actual first one. I've been dieting on and off since 2009 & that's how long it's taken me to get all of the weight off. But the good thing is, it's been so slow that I don't have to worry about it comeing back! The big thing to remember is DO NOT GIVE UP!!! Keep at it!
  • prplhaz300
    prplhaz300 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the input. And it may be true that my measurements are less because I actually have gotten more compliments even though the scale hasn't moved. I will try some of these suggestions. I love this site and I love having a support system whether I know everyone or not. I hope everyone else is having a great week and finding as much help as I do here. Thanks again.:wink:
  • cwglosin4vaca
    cwglosin4vaca Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    When I hit a plateau, I take a few days off from diet and exercise. Nothing out of control or anything but then when I get back to it, I lose another pound
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Also remember only carbs for breakfast, or within 2 hours after you work out. There is no need to have them any other times...if you are planning to have carbs you need to do a quick intesnse work out! (I mean like potatos, bread, wheat, those carbs.) not veggie carbs like beans etc. Corn is considered a work out carb too!!!

Oh my god, living that way would make me grouchy, lol. I eat carbs at breakfast, lunch, and dinner and am losing weight just fine. Some people are more carb sensitive than others so what works for you may not be right for someone else.

For me, the plateau lasted two months. I discovered I wasn't eating enough, upped my calories, and the plateau was broken. They can occur for a variety of reasons, so it is impossible to say "You plateaued because of X and the plateau will last X amount of time."
  • dabkeb508
    Options
    Good Morning All

I started my workout routine Jan. 1, 2014.

Monday, Wednesday and Fridays - I do cardio on the elliptical for 40 mins each day around 500 calories burned per day.

Tuesday, Thursday and Saturdays - I do loose weights for 30 mins including 50 crunches of sit ups

I limit my calories to 1600 per day.

I did not have an alcoholic drink for the first 7 weeks. I usually have a couple of drinks on the weekend.

Here is my question. I have lost 20lbs so far in 65 days.

I have plateau for a good two weeks myself. Do I need to do something different with my routine?

My age is 54.

Thank you,

DAB
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Until one starts eating at a calorie deficit...