losing weight, working 3rd shift, odd sleep schedule & stay

Options
Here's my dilemma: I work third shift (10:30 pm - 6:30 am, Fri- Tues) and watch my baby daughter while my wife works during the day. I go to bed at 4:30 pm and sleep til 9:30 pm on M,T,. Since I am off on Wednesday I stay up and go to bed with my wife around 10pm and sleep til 8 am-ish. ( Therefore I am up 24+hours tu-wed) and the same on Thursday......Still following? On Friday I am up from 8 am until 7am Saturday morning when I'll sleep til 3pm, work from 1030 til 630 and go back to sleep sunday at 7 until 3, then....am up til 430pm Monday, and repeat...

Long story short- when using myfitnesspal.com, should I count calories from the time I awake until the time I go to sleep regardless of the time I wake or should I count the calories for a 24 hr period? It's hard for me to monitor my calorie intake when my body is never sure whether it's coming or going. I really want to lose weight but it's hard to stay consistant with my odd work and sleep schedule.

Replies

• jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    MFP is set up to log all of your calories for one calendar day.

That said, I don't think it matters, as long as you are consistent.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    When I logged my food, I logged it from the time I woke up to the time I went to bed. I work second shift - so I tend to work late, stay up late and sleep late. I am NEVER in bed before midnight (which is when the food diary rolls to the next day), so I just disregard what the site does and do it the way that works for me. :)
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    i remember working graveyard shifts..i actually lost weight because of that schedule. i would eat once..maybe twice and just would sleep most of the time. do you have a treadmill? can you take your daughter out on walks with you? exercise then maybe but i would just log your calories for the whole day. the beginning of your shift or your "breakfast" until your "dinner time" eg your bed time. or just log it for those 12 hours you are up. its rough though, because your sleep schedule is off from the normal sun up sun down times but just log it as best as you can. just count your meals an base that off a day.

good luck!!! those shifts are a killer but you can do it!
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    MFP is set up to log all of your calories for one calendar day.

That said, I don't think it matters, as long as you are consistent.

I agree - just be consistent and you'll be fine .... on this account....

I work in a company that has lots of odd shifts (luckily, I usually work a straight M-F day job --- but sometimes have the kind of odd schedule you are talking about - but only once or twice a year). Anyway, tons of research has been done on how switching up your schedule has a huge negative effect on your body --- your ability to lose weight, keep a healthy heart and general overall health. I know you want to spend time with your wife and family which is sometimes hard to do working that stinkin' 3rd shift schedule, but is there anyway you can make your sleep patterns even a little more consistent? it would do wonders for your overall health (and as an added bonus, your weight). If it is financially possible, is it a possibility to put your baby daughter in day care for the first few hours of the day?? Even if you were to "nap" with your wife when she goes to bed, then get up, then go back to sleep at 3:30 or 4:00 am or so and stay there until 10:00 or so and then go pick up your daughter it would be better for your body.......and better for your daughter in the long run to have a healthy daddy!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I saw somebody who changed their food diary to rather than 'Breakfast' 'Lunch' 'Dinner' it was 'Before 10AM' '10AM-4PM' 'After 4PM'.

I would say to stick with the calendar day, so midnight to midnight, but change your designators to be time ranges rather than meal names. Might help, good luck!
  • bjsquires
    bjsquires Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I too work third shift from 7p-7a Friday Saturday and Sunday nights. I have mine set up for a 24hr period like this: 12a-4a, 4a-8a, 8a-noon, noon-4p, 4p-8p, 8p-midnight. This works for me and I count my calories for that 24hr period.
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have a similair schedule. I am up from 7am on Saturday morning until noonish on Sunday and the back up at 6pm until 8am Monday morning.

I log from sleep to sleep. On Saturday my calories intake is always a little on the high side because I'm up for so long. I try to eat every 3-4 hours while I'm awake.

Night shifts are a killer.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    When I logged my food, I logged it from the time I woke up to the time I went to bed. I work second shift - so I tend to work late, stay up late and sleep late. I am NEVER in bed before midnight (which is when the food diary rolls to the next day), so I just disregard what the site does and do it the way that works for me. :)

This is what I do. I consider the it the same day until I go to sleep. I haven't had an issue, but like others said, as long as you are consistant. If you choose to do the calendar day way, you will have few calories on one, and be over the next day, but it evens out.
  • lizzy00125
    Options
    I worked midnight to 8am and that is the shift I lost my weight on. I make a 24 hour period for me. My "breakfast" (and start of my day) was really dinner I had with my bf at 6:00 pm and then I would eat every 3 hours or so after that. Even on my off days when I did sleep normal hours I kept similar eating patterns. My big meal was always in the evening and the lighter meal was always in the morning. This is what worked for me but we all know we are all different. It might take some adjustment and tweaking before you find what is best for you.
  • natalieg0307
    natalieg0307 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My husband works 7p-7a. I think consistancy is the key. Before he leaves work he eats around 6am.....logs this as breakfast. He comes home and sleeps. When he gets up and eats he logs it as lunch (but for the kids and me, it's dinner). In the middle of the night, that meal is dinner. All the extras are logged as snacks. It was tough when he first joined MFP, but now he's got it figured out and is doing great.