Squash season...Yeah!!!

Onion squash, harequin, acorn, butternut etc.......WOW How did I not discover these sooner in life, totally addicted at the moment, boil em bash em...soup them roast them......What flipping ever tastes brill every which way. This afternoon I was on a food prepare marathon as I work shifts, roasted with a little fry light my harlequin squash, once cooked I scooped out the flesh for mash, then cut the skin and remaining flesh into strips. Quick spray again with fry light, a little salt, plenty of fresh ground black pepper and some milled garlic granules, back in the oven untill crispy edges.....Low fat hummus to accompany them, yeah a really yummy low cal snack.

One wonders fellow MFP'ers how long does the squash season last?? xxxx

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    not sure how long it lasts but try pumpkins too!
  • KLLever
    KLLever Posts: 39
    Mmmm, spaghetti squash! I use it to replace pasta sometimes. Pretty yummy!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,131 Member
    I bake a lot of squash and pumpkin and freeze it in freezer bags so I have squash all winter :bigsmile:
  • jraps17
    jraps17 Posts: 179 Member
    Don't know why but when i saw the tittle the first thing i thought of was Squash the sport and though i would like to play some squash...
  • We plant squash in the summer time. So our fresh from the garden season is over here . We have planted now our winter garden with spinach, collard greens and broccoli, green onions(which could be year round) and garlic. I have squash casserole for my lunch today. When we pick we cook it and eat some. The rest we put in the freezer so we have some thru the winter. It is wonderful. Squash casserole is also wonderful when you add crab meat in it.
  • Freezing it good plan, growing my own fab plan......Now another question, can pumpkin be cooked in the same way as squash?

Oh and as for games of squash sad to say I dont think my knees could cope lol xxx
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,131 Member
    I started out by cooking pumpkin and then started cooking squash the same way :bigsmile: I used to freeze pumpkin to make pies. Now I serve it as a vegetable just like squash :bigsmile:
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Love it!! All different ways and varieties