Wait...5 pounds? WHAT??!!

Options
Hi all:

I am new to myfitnesspal (and am loving this community!), but have been a long-time calorie counter and avid exerciser. Here's my current quandary, and I'm hoping for some insight and/or advice. My highest weight ever was 190 pounds (I am 5'3). I reached this after a long struggle with depression and anxiety and long-time use of the prescription drug Zoloft. It was a tough period in my life, but slowly, through exercise and diet changes, I reached a healthy weight of 140 pounds. I then sort of went to the opposite end of the extreme and somehow managed to get myself down to 118 pounds at my lowest weight. Although I couldn't see it then, looking back, I know how massively unhealthy and unsustainable this was for me. My body reacted in a similar fashion and I bounced back up to 150 pounds.

About 18 months ago, I was diagnosed with Celiac disease (gluten intolerance) and had to do a massive diet change. I went from primarily eating fruits and veggies and protein bars, to almost no processed food (except for what I can find that tastes good and is gluten free and not ridiculously expensive). I have been at what I consider to be a happy and healthy weight for me at 135-137 pounds for approximately the past 15 months.

I recently moved and have had some overall life changes, and now, in only 6 weeks time, find the scale stuck at 142-143 pounds. I will fully admit that I had some rough days where I'm pretty sure all I ate was candy, but truthfully, I just don't think I ate enough to cause this 5-pound gain, which is now causing me much struggle.

My daily routine is as follows:

Exercise:
6 days per week: 700 calorie burn (according to Polar HRM) on the elliptical
3 days per week: 20 minutes of weights (in addition to that 700 calorie burn)
1 day per week: usually Sunday, 200 calorie burn (cardio), 20 minutes of weights

Food:
5 days per week: 1700 calories TOTAL
1 day per week: usually Friday (as my "treat day) weight maintenance calories (approx 2300 TOTAL)
2 days per week: usually the weekends, 1700-1900 calories TOTAL

I'm frustrated and aggravated and feel gross and fat. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    If you are working out its probably water retention in your muscles from the exercise.
  • elmsallmissile
    Options
    I think I may have spotted your problem, you are eating eight days food per week ;-)
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Water retention and our menstrual cycle can both cause weight to jump like this. Drink lots of water and get back to your routine and it should drop off pretty quickly. The scale said I gained 7 lbs in one week at my grandmother's funeral trip, but within 4 days of getting back to my normal routine it showed I'd actually had a 2 lb loss.
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should put the cheat days on the back burner for a while. Are you getting enough protein? It's recommended at least 1g per pound per day. Protein helps you burn faster. Also are you drinking enough water? Perhaps you're 1700 cal goal is too high. You should try adjusting it if it's not working for you. Your diary is locked so I can't provide better advise.
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    I think I may have spotted your problem, you are eating eight days food per week ;-)

But the 10 days per week of exercise should make up for that.
  • janeinspain
    janeinspain Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It looks like a very healthy plan there. Congratulations!

Now how long have you been at this weight and been on this plan? Sometimes the body just holds onto the unhealthy gains for longer, happened to me as well. I think that a few weeks of this plan should move the scale.
  • cheddarboy
    cheddarboy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If you can, log absolutely everything for a month - try to keep calories and workouts the same and don't cheat. Find out at what caloric intake you lose weight with your current workout routine and tweek everything from there.
  • deja_blu
    deja_blu Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough fiber, protein and calcium in your diet. Since you are eating so many calories, make sure they are chock full of the good stuff.

I would suggest cutting back on your calories a bit and see how that works.

5499814.png
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm not sure what your sodium levels are but if they're high it's also going to be water retention. Make sure you're getting potassium bananas and now they have 50 cal OJ that has a good amount of potassium in it. The potassium will counteract the sodium levels in your body.
  • hrobinson416
    hrobinson416 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    When you say total on your calorie intake you mean per day right?
  • Curlylocks714
    Options
    Yup - when I say 1700 calories total, I mean, for the day. In theory, this is giving me a 1000 net calorie average every day. This program recommends 1200...so I'm confused by the responses to lower my caloric intake.

Now...I don't think I totally explained my food intake in my initial post. What I essentially mean is that Monday - Thursday, I eat 1700 calories total for the day (without exception). Fridays are my "cheat day" so I come in usually around 2300. Saturday and Sunday, I aim for 1700 total, but sometimes wind up closer to 1800 or 1900.

My exercise looks like this (maybe a better explanation):

Monday: 75 minutes of cardio on elliptical (although sometimes spin) (700 calorie burn by my HRM)
    Tuesday: 75 minutes of cardio on elliptical (although sometimes spin) (700 calorie burn by my HRM), 10 minutes of weights
    Wednesday: 75 minutes of cardio on elliptical (although sometimes spin) (700 calorie burn by my HRM)
    Thursday: 75 minutes of cardio on elliptical (although sometimes spin) (700 calorie burn by my HRM), 10 minutes of weights
    Friday: 75 minutes of cardio on elliptical (although sometimes spin) (700 calorie burn by my HRM)
    Saturday: 75 minutes of cardio on elliptical (although sometimes spin) (700 calorie burn by my HRM)
    Sunday: 20 minutes of cardio (200 calorie burn by my HRM), 20 minutes of weights
  • adales1970
    adales1970 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You might try mixing up your cardio/exercise routine to "shock" your body back into an appropriate mode. I have found that when I do the same exact routine for too long I get stuck and may gain due to frustration (stress) over not losing weight. Just a thought...

Hang in there!