Hummus Recipes???

Options
ktthegr8
ktthegr8 Posts: 479
I'm looking for a good hummus recipe. Any suggestions?

Replies

• ktthegr8
    Options
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    I love raw spinach, so this is one of my favorites....
    1 can of garbanzo beans/chick peas (15oz), drained
    1/2 to 1 cup of spinach, chopped
    1/4 cup Tahini (or fat free yogurt, for creamier and I think lower in carbs)
    2 table spoons garlic
    3 table spoons lemon juice
    2 table sppons olive oil
    1/4 tea spoon kosher salt (i usally leave it out, i hate salt)

I use a blender, of course a food processor works the best. Mix it up. Sometimes it'll come out kinda thick and chunky, until you perfect the mix. I just add a bit of water to soften it up. Then I eat it with pita
    bread or nanns from the mid-east store in town.

For spicy version, same recipe add 1/2 teaspoon cumin and some crushed redpepper. ENJOY!

chris (aka sarge the toecutter)
  • ktthegr8
    Options
    2 table spoons garlic
    2 table sppons olive oil

I use a blender, of course a food processor works the best. Mix it up. Sometimes it'll come out kinda thick and chunky, until you perfect the mix. I just add a bit of water to soften it up. Then I eat it with pita

For spicy version, same recipe add 1/2 teaspoon cumin and some crushed redpepper. ENJOY!

Thanks!
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options

Its not really a 'recipe' but I toast 2 mini wheat pitas and spread 1 tbs of Tribe Roasted Red Pepper or Savory Dill on them for a snack (150 calories total).
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options

Its not really a 'recipe' but I toast 2 mini wheat pitas and spread 1 tbs of Tribe Roasted Red Pepper or Savory Dill on them for a snack (150 calories total).

Ok, DUH...I just realized you asked for a recipe to MAKE hummus...not use it.
    Sorry...I've been off my game all day!
  • xsargex
    Options
    also.... after mixing. I like to add greek olives or lintel beans, whole into the hummus. Man thats really good. I'm gettin hungry.
  • TheBull50
    TheBull50 Posts: 220
    Options
    I enjoy using a toaster oven and baking my own chips. I use La Tortilla Factory wraps, cut them into chips , bake em with some salt and pepper. Them take your favorite hummus and dip.

Hope that will help :smile:
  • xsargex
    Options
    thats def the poor man's (or woman's) way of making chips. Usually the flour tortilla's are so high in useless carbs. I buy the local breads from the market. A.) their usually natural ingredients and not alot of starches and nonsense B.) kinda nice to help out the community stores. I've been to Pakistan and the Mid-East, so I love going in there and talking to those folks. They always flip out when a white guy comes in there, but super friendly and sometimes if you go regularly, you'll get some deals.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    2 table spoons garlic
    2 table sppons olive oil

I love spinach but have not tried putting it into my hummus yet. I do like to add roasted garlic instead of raw. Roasting it just gives it a milder flavor. Also roasted red peppers. Those I buy in the jar and chop and add in when mixing. Both are so yummy!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Usually when I make it, I kind of just eyeball everything (so please bear with me on the measurements).

1 can garbanzo beans (15 oz?)
    1 tbsp tahini (this may be off also...)
    3-4 cloves garlic coarsely chopped
    2 tsp olive oil
    1.5 tbsp lemon juice

Drain the beans, but save the juice in a glass.
    Blend the garbanzos in a blender/processor. Add the tahini and blend more. Then add the lemon juice and slowly blend in the garbanzo juice little by little until you reach the preferred consistancy. You can add other stuff to flavor it how you want. Hot peppers, spinach, spices, etc.

Whole recipe takes about 2 minutes to make. Not sure about nutes.

Also, dried garbanzos are better if you're patient enough to let them soak overnight. Less sodium, better taste :)
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I just made a yummy one the other day....
    can garbanzo beans and can cannelini beans (drained)
    2 cloves garlic
    cup of parsley
    lemon juice (added as I mixed)
    olive oil adding to it while it blended to get the right consistency (by the end, probably 6 or so TBs?)
    1/4 cup? pecorino romano

put it in my blender
    Yumola
    and it makes A LOT!
  • xsargex
    Options
    I had to bring back the Hummus discussion.

Last night made Spinach, Garbanzo, Crushed Red pepper hummus. A dollop on some pita with Morning Star veggie burger, sliced tomatoes and some greens. Whew. Amazing.