Bodypump – help required....

Options
I thought I was being clever encouraging some of my team to join the gym I go to so we can work out together....

Well now I have been persuaded that we should go to a Bodypump class together tomorrow and now feel really nervous...

Having been a fat girl forever even the thought of an exercise class scares me beyond belief...

So any advice either about classes in general and especially Bodypump would be appreciated...

Lucy

Replies

• lrodriguez83
    Options
    I take Body Pump and I really like it. Its great strength training, which I feel I need both cardio and strength training.
    Don't go really heavy on the weight when you first get started, get the hang of the class and then increase your weights.
  • nalia08
    nalia08 Posts: 252
    Options
    I take a body pump class and I love it!!! It's a good way to get weights in with some cardio. Mostly weights though. I am not one for weight training so this class is fun cause it has music. You can go at your own pace (which I do). You have to start slow and don't try to keep up with those who have been taking the class for a while. Your goal is to work up to that. With time you will! I say try it before you knock it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I thought I was being clever encouraging some of my team to join the gym I go to so we can work out together....

Well now I have been persuaded that we should go to a Bodypump class together tomorrow and now feel really nervous...

Having been a fat girl forever even the thought of an exercise class scares me beyond belief...

So any advice either about classes in general and especially Bodypump would be appreciated...

Lucy
    Just do it! Get the experience and overcome your fears.
  • CrimsonX69
    Options
    body pump is a great workout and most people are very accpeting of new members no matter their apperance, as they should be, who cares what they think, enjoy yourself, and oh dont get too much weight, 5 lbs doesnt seem like alot* but after an hour its heavy!
  • ksavvy
    ksavvy Posts: 52
    Options
    BodyPump is an excellent way for a person to enter the group exercise arena. Be sure to let the instructor know you are new, and he or she can guide you through weight selections. Form is key for new Pumpers, so don't focus on weights. Also, this is your workout, not your friend's or your neighbor's. Do what works for you, and be proud of yourself for going. You will be sore the next day, and tempted to avoid exercise, but light cardio of some sort is highly recommended. As for the soreness, the only thing that makes it go away is heading back to Pump again. I've been at it for around 5 years, and it is a staple in my cross-training routine. Good luck, have fun, and I would love to hear how it goes!
    Kelly
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I *LOVE* Bodypump. The ones offered at my gyms are very simple and they don't ask you to push beyond your abilities so if it's a first time, talk to the instructors, introduce yourself as a new classmate. The teachers at my gym are very good about offering advice and words of encouragement.

I go to a weekly Get Pumped class. I am completely convinced having a weight training portion of your weekly workout regiment is pretty important.
  • pandsmomCheryl
    pandsmomCheryl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I think Bodypump will be a great class to help you get over your fears - it's a far cry from the Step Aerobics/Jane Fonda thing. Go easy on the weights, and you move to the music - which I think makes the class you by faster. Good luck!
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    That is what keeps us where we are at....the fear of going into something outside of our comfort zone. To get to the next level, to get to that skinny person that is inside of you, push yourself!! Do something that you are not comfortable with!! I love Body Pump, but 5 yrs ago, I coudn't walk a mile!! Baby steps, but you have to have the courage to move forward! And then once you get used to that, move to something else!! Hold your breath, close your eyes and just do it!!! :happy:
  • ginny1214
    ginny1214 Posts: 338
    Options
    Love body pump!
    You will have so much fun and feel the burn! The music is fun and everyone is totally in their own zone in there nobody will even be paying attention to you :)
  • lucycaz
    lucycaz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies

I am def going to go - I have been doing some weight training with my PT so feel a little more relaxed about that bit... but I still can't beleive I, me - the fat one is actually choosing to go to a class
  • ksavvy
    ksavvy Posts: 52
    Options
    Thanks for the replies

I am def going to go - I have been doing some weight training with my PT so feel a little more relaxed about that bit... but I still can't beleive I, me - the fat one is actually choosing to go to a class

Please do keep in mind that you cannot judge a book by its cover. You may be much stronger on the inside than you realize, and by taking on some resistance training, you will only become stronger and healthier. Group Exercise is for EVERYONE!
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I've been pretty active all my life except when overly pregnant and even I was a little intimidated by the class when I first took it, but once i did it I was hooked. It definitely helped changed my body shape (along with a clean diet, no sugar, processed foods, etc) and although the scale wasn't moving as quickly, I was getting tone and smaller. Definitely check it out, go light on your first round. After being out of it for over a year I started back with only 5lb plates on my bar for the entire class and still felt it. Now I'm able to finally go up in weight again (yay muscle memory!). Once you get your form down you can play around with the weights and the instructors will generally ask if anyone is new so they can explain the terminology to you like clean and press, skull crushers, etc. Love love love this class.