Care to explain this to me?

Options
so...from friday to sunday, my sodium, sugar, carbs, etc have been wild. Cinnamon rolls, pizza, and hot wings will do that. Now, given my lack of workouts, horrible food choices, and general devil may care attitude...i expected a gain. However, i lost 2 total inches, 1.5 lbs,and 1% body fat. This happens often to me. I lose more bf eating crap than i do eating strict, even when calories are identical. Wtf?

Replies

• jaxdiablo
    jaxdiablo Posts: 580
    Options
    I have no clue... just ignore the dagger eyes as I eat chicken and vegetables... heathen...
  • KMSForLife
    Options
    I have no clue... just ignore the dagger eyes as I eat chicken and vegetables... heathen...

LOL!
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I have no idea either, I'll just consider you a lucky *kitten* LOL :)
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Don't expect results in such a short amount of time. Your body doesn't work that way.
  • jedi9393
    jedi9393 Posts: 121
    Options
    explain it to me too. However I did it yesterday and I gain 3lbs, but 3 weeks ago I lost 4lbs over night. I dont understand. Dont get it at all. So i'm back on the diet, I guess a cheat day isnt an option. I either lose or gain. if I stayed the same I wouldnt be so crazy, but yeah this is madness.
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    And just because your measurements may seem to have changed for the benefit, it does not reflect internal health! This is highly overlooked.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    :grumble: lucky you.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    If this is just an every once in a while splurge you are shocking your body and metabolism which is good, as we all know if this is a continous thing you tend to gain like crazy!
  • SwissTracey
    SwissTracey Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I used to happen to me, but I would be really good with my eating and exercise the rest of the time. I think the extra calories just shocks you body and you lose, but if you were to contiune to eat like that and not exercise it would catch up with you. Just be happy its working right now.
  • ninkdole
    ninkdole Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    whatever! :mad:

:smile: :wink:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Cycling your calories fools the body. If you diet for a long enough period, have weight slow down, then up your calories for a short time, your body can be fooled in to thinking that endless energy is available again, so metabolic rate goes back up.
  • queenmegan
    Options
    If this is just an every once in a while splurge you are shocking your body and metabolism which is good, as we all know if this is a continous thing you tend to gain like crazy!
    This
  • aliria
    aliria Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It could be that your body is in a cycle of higher metabolism. The more you eat, the more your body has to pick up the pace (to some extent). You obviously can't rev up your metabolism to burn 4000 calories if you overdo it like crazy, but if you increase your caloric intake some, then your body starts to get used to wanting more. SO- my theory is that when you were eating more, your body kind of adjusted, and then, maybe if you let up a little at night or another day-- even by a little-- your metabolism will still be used to the larger amount of food you had before.

I'm basing this off of the idea of up day down day dieting: http://www.everydiet.org/diet/alternate-day-diet
    Basically, you trick your body into burning more by changing up the calories.

It doesn't mean that you'll lose weight by eating lots of wings, pizza etc- it means that if you alternate every few days with a little bit higher calories correctly, then you may loose more. Also, it works the other way.If you consistently eat a small amount of calories, your body gets used to that and your metabolism drops. You're body gets used to only needing 1200 or however many calories. Weight loss can plateau and slow down.

just a thought :)
  • MrsSpratt
    MrsSpratt Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened this weekend. I worked out hard last week and stayed within my calories and gained a pound. This weekend I didn't track my food, ate whatever I wanted and lost two pounds. I guess my body was just thanking me for taking a vacation. lol I don't really know, but I'm back on track today. I don't want to play around too much and lose all my good progress.
  • jedi9393
    Options
    But how often are you suppose to do this? I understand it shocks the body, then why did I gain and not lose this time? It just seems kinda inconsistant to me and an unhealthy way to lose weight. My little carb fest has brought back cravings and hunger which I hate. Now it's gonna take 3 days to rid myself of this when previously I wasnt hungry at all. So I guess I'm confused as to why eating healthy and working out all the time isnt enough for some to lose weight while others lose weight all the time.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    And just because your measurements may seem to have changed for the benefit, it does not reflect internal health! This is highly overlooked.
    thats why i asked, i dont eat junk often nor do i intend to start. It baffles me that i get stuck at x measurements and bf for months, eating right and working out. Then i have a cheat day(s) and lose wild amounts. It cant be water, especially with 5000 mg sodium, ya know? It makes absolutely no sense.
  • jedi9393
    Options
    exactly. I dont want to eat junk food or carbs every 2-3 weeks. its called carb refeeding. No way. Carb and calorie refeeds is how I fell off the wagon once before. I just kept making excuses and eating them. Plus, it makes me feel like I'm starting all over again with my dieting.
  • GreenLifeGirl
    GreenLifeGirl Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    i agree with others. its a boost in your metabolism burn.

i do a high day (200-300 over goal calories) about once a week on the weekends (heatlhy foods though) and it makes a huge difference in energy levels and good losses. you can do this on a regular basic, by eating health and just varying your calories in cycles, having low and high days. so that it keeps your metabolism burning.
  • jedi9393
    Options
    I understand what it does, but why???

How does that even make sense based on calorie in and calorie out theory?? So we are stuck the rest of our lives doing this? That sucks!!! If I eat more calories then the next day i have to fight like heck to prevent me wanting more and more and more. I've been down this road. I've also increaased just healthy food 300-400 calories and the next day I still wanna eat more than just those extra calories.

it's crazy stuff like this that makes me wanna give up. its driving me insane.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    see, the calorie cycling would make sense, but i never exceed my calories-ever. meaning i can eat salad all day or hot wings all day, but i never go past my calorie goals-i'm anal like that.