How does the weight work if you lose gain then lose again?

Options
I usually don't enter if I gain weight but if I weigh 582lbs then 585 then 582 again will it tell people I lost 3 lbs or will it wait until I get below 582 again to say I lost weight?

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The weight loss ticker tracks from your start weight, at 582 you'd show no loss at 581 it'd be one more pound lost if that's a new low.
    Like for me starting at 330, getting down to 292 and I bounced back up to 305, my ticker reflects the 25 pounds lost compared to my initial weight.
    I think when you get the "UserX weighed in and lost Y" shows up whenever you have a loss.
  • Shed4Wed
    Options
    It will base your loss on your weight today minus the weight you started with. So it would say (if you were still 582) that you have not lost any weight.
  • joyeaann
    joyeaann Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It tracks and reports from your entered MFP start weight.
    :happy:
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I only enter it when I get to a "new low" - ie, I wouldn't enter 585 or the second 582, but wait until I was at 581. But I think MFP will only count it as a loss when your number gets lower than it's ever been before (so in your example, it would only say -3, not -6).
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I don't enter it usually either. I did once & yes it went up, when I lost & entered it it went back down. (ex: went from 25 lost to 24 lost then 26 lost) It is just a number to the system! All based on what you enter. Like your Goals say: Ability not weight!

Now I don't log gains - only loss!

4581915.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Dont log your gains...its most likely water....my weight goes up and down every dang day!
  • oEmmao
    oEmmao Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    i only add when i get a new low too :flowerforyou:
  • dasskinny
    Options
    r u really 585 lbs?
  • Teddyaderwich
    Teddyaderwich Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Everytime I see a new low weigh on the scale I log it - even if it's only 0.1lb lower ;-)
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    r u really 585 lbs?

No, it was an example. 582 is my fav # and that is what I say when people ask me my weight. Because in general it isn't polite to ask someone what they weigh. Well at least outside of MFP it is...
  • Pandorian
    Options
    As for logging gains or not... I had to. I was back up 15 lbs or 1/3 of my loss! I had to have the accountaility of having it reflected that I'd gained while eating like crap and not logging (family visiting from out of town and they ONLY eat Wendys or Pizza Hut or if eating at home Kraft Dinner etc) I gave in to the old habits while they were down. Saw how quickly it sabotaged my loss and have been getting back on track.
  • adamkat
    adamkat Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    same but different topic I am wondering why if I lost 4 pds it only shows 1 pd lost??
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    As for logging gains or not... I had to. I was back up 15 lbs or 1/3 of my loss! I had to have the accountaility of having it reflected that I'd gained while eating like crap and not logging (family visiting from out of town and they ONLY eat Wendys or Pizza Hut or if eating at home Kraft Dinner etc) I gave in to the old habits while they were down. Saw how quickly it sabotaged my loss and have been getting back on track.

If it is more than a pound or two I do in fact log it. Then start all over again & tell myself that I will win over the fat & that it is crazy if it thinks it can beat me!!! :tongue:

4581915.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Pandorian
    Options
    same but different topic I am wondering why if I lost 4 pds it only shows 1 pd lost??

Go to my home... check-in... edit previous entries and have a look that one of your entries wasn't higher than you think. The ticker in your forum signature only gives you credit for losing weiglht once. IE losing 20 lbs but gaining 5 back then losing the 5 lbs again? Ticker shows 20 lbs lost not 25 (which would give you credit for losing the same pound twice)