Mom of 2..... frustrated. NEED ADVICE PLEASE

Options
Pre children I was 5'8 and 155lbs. My son is 3 and my daughter is 18 months old. I weigh 188lbs and am in the worst shape of my life. Im always running errands, helping other people. I always have an excuse to why I havent lost weight and got back in shape. Im done making excuses and want to not only do this for me but for my kids and husband. My goal is to be back around 150.
I dont know where to start or what kind of plan to do. I NEED SOME ADVICE!! Any tips is help!
I have 2 children, stay at home mom with no time to go to the gym. I dont have daycare or available babysitters everyday to be able to go to the gym.

thanks

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Hon you don't need to go to the gym. At home DVDs work great and once you know some basic moves (both cardio and weight training) you can do your own circuit training. I love to do this.
    I would invest in a good heart rate monitor (I love mine, and find that MFP overestimates cals burned for me) and 3, 5 and 10lb weights.
    You can workout while they're down for a nap :)
    Also, do some reading up on nutrition - try to eat clean as you can and cut out processed foods. Eating right is very important. It's 90% of the equation and you can't outtrain a crappy diet.
    Good luck!
  • AniyahsMommy324
    AniyahsMommy324 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    We're in similiar situations! I'm also a stay at home mom with no sitter or time for the gym. I started with simply counting my calories and logging EVERYTHING that I eat/drink and make sure I don't go over 1200 each day. I still struggle on the weekends.

When I decided to start working out, I started with a pair of 3lb weights and a couple Jillian Michaels dvds. 2 weeks ago my boyfriend bought me a stationary bike and I LOVE it. I ride it while my daughters asleep and just watch tv and pedal away. You could also take your kids for walks, I know my daughter loves being outside!

It can be slow going at first, but every little thing adds up. You CAN do it!!!
  • kfitz10103
    Options
    So I have a 25 mo old and a 13 mo old. The first thing I did was to eat right. I started concentrating on my eating habits first. That was my most difficult demon. I've heard weight loss is 80% diet and 20% excercise. I would try to stick to a calorie goal and add in excercise slowly. I started with just 30 minutes 3 times per week. I take the girls for a walk, or I get up at 5am and work out at home. You could use a workout DVD like others suggested, but I would recommend the changing of eating habits first. Once you start seeing the weight come off you will probably be more motivated. Good luck!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    First, you don't NEED exercise to get in shape. Focus on diet first. I'd suggest not trying to lose weight too quickly. For me, that leads to "dieting" which is hard and I often quit. What worked for me (5'9", and 3 kids) was small changes in my food. Set your weekly goal at 0.5lbs per week, set your activity level at "lightly active" since you are a SAHM. This should give you a good amount of calories. You should be able to continue to eat the food your family is eating just in reasonable portions or by doing things like not having a side the family is having (yesterday I skipped the mashed potatoes and gravy but still had the meat and salad, I still eat chicken nuggets and hot dogs with the kids sometimes too). Try to do whatever you can to get more active. Go on walks with the kids, turn up the radio and dance, climb on the playgrounds with them, dance around as you clean, make extra trips up and down stairs with the laundry, etc.

Then, once you get all that figured out then you can look into getting some DVDs you can do in the mornings or evenings while the kids sleep, or start going for walks if the husband can cover, etc.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    hugs weight loss is 80% food and 20% exercise so focus on your eatting first

then get some dvd`s (30 day shred and the like)

wii zumba

a jogging stroller my girls love it we have an instep double jogger and my 6yo and 4yo can still fit in it with ease :) and they love that mom will push them fast in it :)

go outside and play with the kids it counts as exercise :) and the kids will love ya more for it
  • justle
    justle Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hello there *waves* i'm a mum of 2 boys (ones 2 and the other is 3.5) i was around 130lbs when i got pregnant and when i finally said enough's enough i was 219lbs >.<

I never been to the gym (cant afford it and dont have time).

I started off readjusting my diet, using MFP and stealing slimming world recipes from the magazines and i also started going out for a jog whenever i could - when the husband got home and kids were in bed i'd just go out for even 20 mins i couldn't run well or fast but it was a start!

Then i invested in some good home dvd's that i started doing when the kids were napping or again once the hubby was home and i stuck with the running thing, still wasnt very good (infact STILL not that good) but i tell you theres nothing like it especially when you've had a stressful day with the kids theres nothing like running to blow out the cobwebs and the stresses of the day!

I've not done any purposful exercise in about 3 months now (and only gained 3lbs woo hoo!) but when i do the nursery runs i never use the car, i go on the bike (with youngest on the bike seat and eldest in the tots trailer ouchie!) or power walk pushing the stroller, with kids, thankfully, there are easy ways to get exercise in.

take them to the park and race with them, get yourself a toddler carrier and carry them whenever you can, run around the house with them or chase after them, bike rides and long walks all the things the kids like

But yeah really its gotta start with what you eat, thats the hardest part to change BUT its the most effective.

watch your portion size (thats my problem until i started weighing stuff i didnt realise but i was eating twice maybe three times as much as i should've been) and no unconcious or emotional (or stress) eating!

Please feel free to friend me i've actually been on MFP for about 18 months now but just recently had to restart my account cos i forgot my details but friends are just the most important thing on here, when i see everyones good work in my news feed it makes me feel more determined!
  • annemama
    annemama Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I haven't been in a gym for a very long time... so I work out at home. I agree with everyone else's posts especially those that emphasize changing your eating habits. And I DO mean "habits"... let's face it, most of what we eat is eaten when we aren't even really hungry. I would suggest waiting for hunger and not eating just because its 'time" to eat. This will be easier than you think, especially because you are at home and don't have to feel pressured to eat at a certain time. Measure and log what you eat, even if you just have "a few bites" because typically we really underestimate how many calories we take in. Soon you will find yourself not wanting to "waste" your calories on fatty foods... and you'll be pleased to find low calorie alternatives. You don't have to give up everything you like to eat... just eat less. I know there are people who completely cut out sugar, or some other food category, but its easier to make a permanent change if you don't feel deprived. As far as working out... maybe buy a step (like you would use in a step aerobics class) and you can step up and down even with your kids around(google how to do this or watch a workout video first to do it properly). You can watch tv and step. This is actually much less hassle than trying to get to the gym anyway! Another thing I do is after my three boys go to bed (my husband puts them to bed) I go to the track at a near-by university to run. Be creative, and ask for help if you need it. Make a menu each week if you can, so that you don't do the panic thing at mealtimes. I'm excited for you and the decision you've made. Friend me if you'd like support! (sorry about the novel)

Beth
  • justle
    justle Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    oh and the workout dvd's i'd personally suggest are Jillian michales 30 day shred (i've done that had fab results without following the diet plan and am just about to start her ripped in 30)

the thing i liked most about her shred is that its a short dvd 20 mins, its easily done in your living room, you can feel the results as you go along because the workouts get easier and your stamina increases quickly AND the best thing is that you know you gotta do it for 30 days so you know when you wake up theres no way you can say to yourself "dunno what exercise i'll do today maybe i'll get around to it later"
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    Pre children I was 5'8 and 155lbs. My son is 3 and my daughter is 18 months old. I weigh 188lbs and am in the worst shape of my life. Im always running errands, helping other people. I always have an excuse to why I havent lost weight and got back in shape. Im done making excuses and want to not only do this for me but for my kids and husband. My goal is to be back around 150.
    I dont know where to start or what kind of plan to do. I NEED SOME ADVICE!! Any tips is help!
    I have 2 children, stay at home mom with no time to go to the gym. I dont have daycare or available babysitters everyday to be able to go to the gym.

thanks
    Number 1: You shouldn't be doing it for others. You should be doing it for YOU. Once you do it for you, the rest follows in line. You have to be a little "selfish". You can't help others till you help yourself first. You can go to the gym, since almost all gyms have childcare for children 6 months and older. And it will be good for them too, so they can learn to socialize. Nothing worse than harboring your kids all the time then when it's time to let them go to school, they can't be without you. I started taking my daughter to the gym at 3 months old and when she started pre school, it was cake compared to watching other kids at the same age whine and cry every single day.
    BUCK UP! If you can't make an hour a day for yourself, then you'll be in the same place 5 years from now, but probably heavier.
  • shannon_stallone
    Options
    I'm a mother of two as well...I havent even bothered getting a gym membership because I dont have time...I bought resistance bands, an exercise ball and some free weights to start off...Get a couple of cardio dvds...Start eating clean, go through all our cabinets...Just cook the same recipes for your family so you don't have to worry about cheating and they'll eat healthy as well...Take the kids for walks, its fun for them and burns calories :)
  • jimenez0312
    Options
    I have been trying to lose weight for a couple of months now. It is a ongoing learning experience. Everyone's eating habits are different. For me, I tried to make better choices. No soda, eating half of what I usually ate, eating healthier snacks, and really trying to stay away from fast food. I had to learn not get down on myself if I slipped once in awhile which was quite often in the beginning. I have two kids as well and dont have a babysitting support so I go walking with them, I do Zumba Wii at home and whenever i get the chance I go to the gym. just try to watch what you eat, make better choices, and every bit of exercising helps. For example, cleaning the house, doing yard work or playing with kids. Good Luck.
  • MrsSpratt
    MrsSpratt Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My kids are three and a half and 19 months. I find eating right and working out to be exceptionally difficult. I'm always focusing on them and forget to eat until I'm starving and then just shove cookies into my mouth.

I've had a lot of success on this site. I've been logging my food and trying to change small habits at a time instead of trying to do everything perfectly at once. I've also learned to work in exercise in the course of the day. (20 flights of stairs = 1 mile. Some days I just walk up and down the stairs a whole bunch.) I've also found some exercise videos on demand which have helped a whole lot.

Good luck! You can do this.
  • APO_Katie
    APO_Katie Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have an 11.5 month energizer bunny. The ONLY time that I find to work out is when I'm doing things around the house or at the grocery store. Yep, you heard right, at the GROCERY STORE. I do lunges in the isles and when I'l waiting at the meat counter or at the checkout, I do curls with my canned goods. I also have to agree with pp and say that what I was (and sometimes still :ohwell: ) eating is mostly what kick started the weight loss for me. It's still a struggle for me, but I have noticed that when I up my water intake, I tend to eat MUUUUUUCH less. When I started here, I was 5'9" and 185lbs and 3 months later, I'm still 5'9" (lol) but down to 175lbs. I still want to lose another 15-25 lbs, but it is coming off, slowly but surely.
  • tayndansmom
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I'm definitely gonna try the 30 day shred and start counting calories. Its nice to know that there are others out there that have the same difficulties. Also the support is awesome. Thanks and wish me luck!
  • Silvercivic
    Silvercivic Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    [/quote]Number 1: You shouldn't be doing it for others. You should be doing it for YOU. Once you do it for you, the rest follows in line. You have to be a little "selfish". You can't help others till you help yourself first. You can go to the gym, since almost all gyms have childcare for children 6 months and older. And it will be good for them too, so they can learn to socialize. Nothing worse than harboring your kids all the time then when it's time to let them go to school, they can't be without you. I started taking my daughter to the gym at 3 months old and when she started pre school, it was cake compared to watching other kids at the same age whine and cry every single day.
    BUCK UP! If you can't make an hour a day for yourself, then you'll be in the same place 5 years from now, but probably heavier.
    [/quote]

I agree with this idea. Is there a YMCA by where you live? I have 2 kids (2 yrs. and 6 months) and I've been going to my Y for about a year. With my $58/month membership fee I get 2 free hours of daycare per day. Pretty good deal if you ask me! Especially if you go every day! I usually only have the kids in the daycare there for 1hr/1.5 hr max. We go EVERY MORNING, M-F. The kids love the routine. We leave around 8:30, after I feed them their breakfast, and then they play in the nursery while I take a class (kickboxing or spinning is what i'm into these days!). Then I pick up the 6 month old and breastfeed her, and when we are done I go back and pick up the 2 yr. old and we all go home. I shower at home after their lunch. I think that this routine is so good for them and for me for so many reasons. I do understand that everyone has a different situation, but I thought I'd share this with you since it has been an incredible part of my life as a "new" mom. Best wishes and I hope that you can find a way to incorporate positive changes (food and exercise) into your life. Start slow, be patient, and stick with it!
  • Silvercivic
    Silvercivic Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    hmmm... I tried to quote but it didn't work.... that first paragraph is not written by me :) sorry!
  • RaeAnne2011
    Options
    Hello -- I'm back on Myfitnesspal for the 2nd time. I have five kids total (2 mine, 3 my bfs), I work fulltime and I'm consistently running around like a chicken with my head cut off. I feel like there's never time or energy for the gym, let alone the treadmill in my basement. I went back to the gym for the first time yesterday - it felt good.

I agree with the other users on here -videos help. Monitoring food should help. Get your significant other to chip in and also - get the whole family involved. Go on long walks. I sent you a friend request. We can help eachother. =)
  • danimoon67
    danimoon67 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey on 2/16/10 -- my daughter's 3rd birthday and my lil guy was 18 months at the time. In the last 20 months I have lost over 110 lbs. You have to ditch all the reasons why you can't and focus on what you can accomplish.

I joined Weight Watchers (I love the meetings and found them immensely helpful and supportive), but MFP is an excellent option and is free. I do both now.

Anyway, when I first started, I focused on my food and water. Tracking was and is the hardest thing for me (the MFP phone app is so awesome, didn't have a smartphone when I started). When I started both my lil ones napped. So I would do Wii Fit when they napped. As it warmed up, I logged hundreds of miles on the double stroller. I like to change my exercise up, so I've done quite a few things over the last two years. Wii games are fun -- LOVE their Zumba! Right now, most of my exercise is walking/jogging. My husband is extremely supportive and when he's home I find a time that works and lace up my sneakers and go for a walk/jog. In the last 20 months, I have spent less than $100 on exercise stuff. A good pair of jogging sneakers and Wii Fit (Zumba was a gift). There is no reason you have to join a gym. I had hand weights stashed away as well as resistance bands, easily found for not much investment. Also lots of inexpensive workout DVDs . . . Jillians 30 Day Shred is quite reasonable. There are also many helpful videos on youtube in regards to exercise/strength training.

I approached this as a job. I invested lots of time finding recipes and meal planning. For me, planning and having the right ingredients for dinners is KEY. I love skinnytaste.com Her recipes are very family friendly. I still have to work around the kids, even tho now at 3 and 4 1/2 they are both in preschool, but they go at different times, so I still always have at least one kid with me and there are no more naps to work out around.

You can do it. Focus on what you can accomplish and forget about why you can't.
  • LJGmom
    LJGmom Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I am SAHM to 5 kiddos. 3 oldest are in school, but still have a 3 and 4 year old at home during day. I joined a gym last week for the first time and started Zumba. It is so nice to put the kiddos in nursery at gym, and go have a fun workout with other ladies, and then get to shower while someone else watches my kids. I strongly recommend it if you can squeeze it in. It is emotional support for me, as it is kinda lonely being home all day with your kids... Kids love it too!